Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hubble Takes Movies of Space Slinky

black holes supermassive black holes messier 87 hubble

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,059 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

Hubble Takes Movies of Space Slinky

hubblesite.org said:

Astronomers Use Hubble Images for Movies Featuring Space Slinky

Astronomers have assembled, from more than 13 years of observations from NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, a series of time-lapse movies showing a jet of superheated gas 5,000 light-years long as it is ejected from a supermassive black hole.

The movies promise to give astronomers a better understanding of how black holes shape galaxy evolution.

Posted Image Source

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,059 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

Zoom Into Black Hole Jet

This video begins with a view of the stars and galaxies in the spring constellation Virgo. We zoom into the giant elliptical galaxy M87, which lies near the center of the Virgo cluster of galaxies. A high-speed jet of hot plasma is buried deep inside the galaxy. A supermassive black hole ejects the jet at nearly the speed of light. This Hubble Space Telescope time-lapse movie captures the movement of the jet over a timespan of 13 years.

Credit: NASA, ESA, and G. Bacon (STScI)

Source: HubbleSite

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

I can now say I've "seen" a black hole. Seriously cool!

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users