Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Jack the Ripper murders explored

jack the ripper whitechapel

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,340 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

It has been 125 years since Jack the Ripper stalked the streets of London, yet the shadow of his gory legacy still looms large.

The identity of the man who brutally murdered five - possibly more - women in the Whitechapel area of London's East End remains a mystery but the case continues to frighten and fascinate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-23759777

Posted Image

#2    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,837 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:18 AM

I had heard of this murder before and just saw a show about it tonight. It was the murder of a prostitute in NYC named Carrie Brown. NY police thought it may have been committed by Jack the Ripper when he came to the US. Several people were investigated and one man was convicted, spending years in prison until it was ruled the evidence against him was planted or got there during a botched investigation at the onset. What amazes me is that Chapman was reportedly living across the river in Jersey City, NJ at the time, having come to America.
http://www.casebook....ims/carrie.html

http://www.casebook....arriebrown.html

http://www.casebook....st-carrieb.html

What do you think? Possible?

Edited by susieice, 27 January 2014 - 04:32 AM.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#3    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:28 AM

I think you could tie the murder of any prostitute in the known world to Jack around 1888/91. Carrie Brown, OK Jack on a boat, but then why  didn't he murder again?

I can understand Jack stopping after the slaughter in Miller's Court and I think one of these is a plausible reason: he died, he was incarcerated or he left the country. Personally, I think Jack died but let's say the last is true and he decamped for the US. Why no more murders? Serial killers like Jack just don't stop. Not after what he did to Mary Kelly. So, I suppose technically Jack could have left the UK but I myself don't think he did.

There are some similarities to Jack's murders but I suspect that if you look carefully enough, you could find similarities in many murders to Jack's work. Again, the idea of a slaughterman working on board a cross-Atlantic ship is interesting if, in fact,  such a job actually existed.

Carrie Brown can't definitively be ruled out as one of Jack's, but I'd include Martha Tabram as a Jack victim before I included Carrie Brown.

#4    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

I don't really feel at all sure that the "ripper" murders were all committed by the same person anyhow.

#5    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:26 AM

Its strange how someone like Jack keeps people's attention, while known quantities like HH Holmes are much more scary in their method and dont get talked about all that much comparatively.

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#6    Maureen_jacobs

Maureen_jacobs

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

JTR is the quintessential serial killer.  He is unknown.

H. H. Holmes is a crazy bird, but we all know who he is.  JTR is a mystery.  Unsolved.  Enigmatic.

And, yes, check out the Casebook.  Everything you want to know is there.

@maureen_jacobs ~ twitter

#7    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

Yeah, I guess the mystery aspect of it is nifty.

but after so long, its just odd hes stuck.

im sure back then plenty of killers got away with their kills.  Plus, I don't mean to be flippant, but he killed some prostitutes.  It's not like he killed dozens of people, or people of importance.

I guess im not in the right mindset for this.   it seems like a curiosity of no real historical significance that people have stuck with

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#8    regi

regi

Government Agent

• 3,496 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

View PostKelevra, on 28 January 2014 - 01:26 AM, said:

Its strange how someone like Jack keeps people's attention, while known quantities like HH Holmes are much more scary in their method and dont get talked about all that much comparatively.

Right? Personally, I've never been particularly interested in the case.

A serial killer case I'm more interested in occurred in Texarkana in 1946 and it also remains unsolved. There was a documentary style movie about it and it scared the heck out me when I was a little girl. (Even the title gave me shivers.)
From wiki, "Since the movie claimed that 'the story you are about to see is true, where it happened and how it happened,' the fabricated parts created much of the myth and lore for several decades. The 1976 film The Town That Dreaded Sundown was released internationally and is loosely based on the events despite its claim that 'only the names have been changed.' "

http://en.wikipedia....onlight_Murders

Here's the movie trailer.

Edit: I don't mean to derail the thread. For anyone interested, there is a thread about the case on the board.

I want to add that I think the reason that case is more interesting to me than the Ripper case is because the victims and locations were random. To me, not only is that a far more terrifying prospect, but for LE, it's an especially difficult case to solve because serial cases are already difficult, but under those circumstances, even more so.

Edited by regi, 30 January 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#9    WhispersInTheAttic

WhispersInTheAttic

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 150 posts

• "It is with true love as it is with ghosts; everyone talks about it, but few have seen it." ~Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:29 AM

I strongly believe this will always remain a mystery. I've actually read a book about where he claimed he thought that his own father was Jack The Ripper.

Here's the book I read

http://www.amazon.co...Jack The Ripper

Has anyone else read this? If so, what are you thoughts?

Edited by WhispersInTheAttic, 01 February 2014 - 02:30 AM.

Posted Image

#10    regi

regi

Government Agent

• 3,496 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

View PostWhispersInTheAttic, on 01 February 2014 - 02:29 AM, said:

I strongly believe this will always remain a mystery. I've actually read a book about where he claimed he thought that his own father was Jack The Ripper.

Here's the book I read

http://www.amazon.co...Jack The Ripper

Has anyone else read this? If so, what are you thoughts?

I haven't read it, but was there something in it about having extracted DNA from an envelope?

#11    msmike1

msmike1

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:32 AM

One of the main reasons Jack is still talked about today like a superhero, is because he was one of if not the first documented serial killer. Sure there were others, but it was about this time that newspapers and penny articles were coming out, detailing the crimes and making the information public knowledge.

Mike

#12    dr no

dr no

Psychic Spy

• 1,506 posts

• Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
    Carl Sagan

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

I think the reason we still talk about the killings is because of the nickname and the letters supposedly sent by him,both of which were probably press inventions.Before and after "Jack" there was the Thames Torso Killings,equally grisly and unsolved murders.I think if the torso killer had put pen to paper we might be talking about him and not Jack the Ripper

#13    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

Spring Heeld jack and jack the ripper, same person?

#14    dekker87

dekker87

Psychic Spy

• 1,369 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

Jack the ripper was a tabloid fantasy.

#15    Small Town History

Small Town History

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:41 AM

View Postdr no, on 02 February 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

I think the reason we still talk about the killings is because of the nickname and the letters supposedly sent by him,both of which were probably press inventions.Before and after "Jack" there was the Thames Torso Killings,equally grisly and unsolved murders.I think if the torso killer had put pen to paper we might be talking about him and not Jack the Ripper

Pen to paper, we sure might.

A killer writing his bio while killing... interesting.

Why do you say pen to paper?

Nickname (pseudonym, aka).
Letters, (communication).
Equally, (grisly or important).
Genre: Horror, (murders, killings).
Genre: Satire, (writings, letters).....Hmmmmm.

I see more Conan Doyle than the press inventions. :yes:

Also tagged with jack the ripper, whitechapel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users