Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Out-of-body experiences - proof of afterlife?

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

As title said Is out of body expirience proof of after life?

During car accedents, drug abuse and on operation table people often report seeing all from different point of view. From above.

Science still dont have answer on it.

Big Bad Voodoo

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,495 posts

• If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

....No.

An "Out-of-Body" experience simply means that you experienced the sensation of being out of your body, nothing more.
It's like one of those lucid dreams or whatever. It can feel very real but no part of you ever leaves. It's all taking place in your head.

It seems the body takes in information all the time and, especially when asleep or unconscious, can put it all together in a way that makes it seem like you are floating around but it is all based on conjecture.
The brain does a pretty good job creating a convincing synopsis of what is happening.

Edited by Ryu, 23 August 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#3    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostRyu, on 23 August 2013 - 09:11 PM, said:

It's like one of those lucid dreams or whatever.

You are first who link it with lucid dreaming. Its two totaly different phenomenan.
Lucid dreaming happens during sleep. You at first become aware that you dreaming. As you practice, writting dream map you progress. You can shape your dream. Learn in dream.
Expirience things. Its preview of life in a sense. You can practice situtation which scared you. You can awake yourself in any moment. You become more self awared.

Out-of-body expirience is expirence when you have car accident and you remember all from above , doctors words.
Or during operations on tables.

Neuro basis of this phenomena is unexplained.

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo, 23 August 2013 - 09:27 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#4    Gary Meadows

Gary Meadows

Like your uncle, only better

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

They prove how powerful the human brain is.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#5    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 23 August 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

They prove how powerful the human brain is.

Yes and? How all people no matter of culture or ages describe same thing.
From above. So is what you saying that man have ability to get out side of body?

#6    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,495 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 23 August 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

You are first who link it with lucid dreaming. Its two totaly different phenomenan.

I simply said it was "LIKE" lucid dreaming. Either way I think both "phenomenon" are all in the brain and have absolutely no reality that is independent of the brain.

#7    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostRyu, on 23 August 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

I simply said it was "LIKE" lucid dreaming. Either way I think both "phenomenon" are all in the brain and have absolutely no reality that is independent of the brain.

Thats for Nobel prize. Its brain. Period.
By your view then Astral travel is scientific FACT. We , as humans, can see things out of body. Our brain allow us that. Thats what you saying.

And agian it isnt linked with Lucid dream. Im Lucid dreamer. ;)
Far as scientific community thinks.

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo, 23 August 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#8    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,495 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 23 August 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

Thats for Nobel prize. Its brain. Period.
By your view then Astral travel is scientific FACT. We , as humans, can see things out of body. Our brain allow us that. Thats what you saying.

...No I am NOT saying that.  I explicitly said that all these experiences are in our heads...none of it has a reality outside of and independent of the brain.

Ok..I will be more straight-forward, it is all FAKE! It is all a hallucination, it is NOT REAL!!!!

I have no idea where you got the idea that I said astral travel was a fact.

#9    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

View PostRyu, on 23 August 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

...No I am NOT saying that.  I explicitly said that all these experiences are in our heads...none of it has a reality outside of and independent of the brain.

Ok..I will be more straight-forward, it is all FAKE! It is all a hallucination, it is NOT REAL!!!!

I have no idea where you got the idea that I said astral travel was a fact.

But scientists dont ignore people on this. There numerous cases. This phenomenan is studied in detail and science didnt conclude what you did. Why? Because persons spoke in detail what they saw and heared.
Sceptics howerver do see this as some hallucination but they also cant tell whats basis for this phenomenan. Meaning they just deny it but not based on facts. Its based on their "scepticism".
I put word scepticism under " because thats not scepticism at all. True sceptic will question everything and even today view on world.
Word scepticism is hijacked. Fringies are more sceptic then "sceptics." They question everything.
Anyway, can I ask you why do you believe its hallucination?

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo, 23 August 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#10    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

Visualized Heartbeat Can Trigger ‘Out-of-Body Experience’

http://www.psycholog...experience.html

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo, 23 August 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#11    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:28 AM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 23 August 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

But scientists dont ignore people on this. There numerous cases. This phenomenan is studied in detail and science didnt conclude what you did. Why? Because persons spoke in detail what they saw and heared.
Sceptics howerver do see this as some hallucination but they also cant tell whats basis for this phenomenan. Meaning they just deny it but not based on facts. Its based on their "scepticism".
I put word scepticism under " because thats not scepticism at all. True sceptic will question everything and even today view on world.
Word scepticism is hijacked. Fringies are more sceptic then "sceptics." They question everything.
Anyway, can I ask you why do you believe its hallucination?

Big Bad Voodoo
If you're trying to question everything, then why are you so dead-set on pushing astral projection or some spiritual nonsense as an explanation? You ought to be questioning those things as much as anyone else. You claim that "skepticism" has been hijacked; I'm not sure you know what skepticism really is. Nobody should ignore what people report, but questioning whether it was a hallucination, or an astral projection, or a dream, or anything else, are all possible answers. The reason why hallucinations or purely brain-based explanations are more probable at the moment are because there is simply no evidence that anything like astral projection, etc., even exists. All research on this subject which has ever been conducted indicates that the brain is almost certainly the cause of the phenomenon: human brains under similar circumstances or stressful situations will likely behave similarly. That much goes without saying.
And to combat a popular OOBE argument: knowing things that the doctor[s] say is hardly remarkable—even the unconscious human body still takes in sensory information, subconsciously. An OOBE person hearing things the doctor[s] say is about as remarkable as any other person there hearing what they said. Now, find me a deaf person who experienced an OOBE and was able to hear and recall what the doctors were saying with their "astral bodies"... that would be interesting.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#12    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

Then tell me what is basis for such phenomenan? And there are researchers who claim different.
You cant blame brain. I have a brain but I dont have OBE.
And please inform me, what is scepticism? Because if you disagree with me on it, I think you are one who dont understand it.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo, 24 August 2013 - 12:49 AM.

#13    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,408 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:37 AM

While remaining skeptical about the subject, I have had OOBE's (when I was a lot younger) in which what I was able to 'observe' I have difficulty finding a rational, mundane explanation for.

There are some paranormal phenomena where I am caught between skepticism and belief, and OOBE/remote viewing (if they are the same phenomenon, or different perceptions of the same phenomenon) are among those.

I would not, however,  make the claim that if OOBE/remote viewing was possible, then it would follow that an afterlife existed. To me, these are completely separate in their nature as phenomena.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#14    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:38 AM

What I'm getting from replies to this thread is that whatever is in your mind is fake.

That sounds sort of backwards, being that that is the only thing you truly know is real. All else is trusted to be real, and you never really know.

edit: But...... staying true to my own line of thinking, I can't even truly say that out of body experiences truly exist either, unless I have experienced one for myself.

Edited by _Only, 24 August 2013 - 12:42 AM.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#15    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

View PostRyu, on 23 August 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

...No I am NOT saying that.  I explicitly said that all these experiences are in our heads...

And?

What isn't in your head?

Not mine; not his or hers.

What isn't in your head that you experience, ever?

So it makes it unreal if only you perceive it, because no one else affirms your personal mind's experience? That makes it fake? That's one way to look at the inner vs. outside existence I guess. I understand these are two different viewpoints of existence.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users