Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Curses from Bible

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

According to the Catholic Encyclopedia article on Cursing, the Bible depicts God cursing the serpent, the earth and Cain (Genesis 3:14, 3:17, 4:11). Similarly Noah curses Canaan (Genesis 9:25), and Joshua curses the man who should build the city of Jericho (Joshua 6:26-27). In various books of the Old Testament there are long lists of curses against transgressors of the Law (Leviticus 26:14-25, Deuteronomy 27:15, etc.). So, too, in the New Testament, Christ curses the barren fig-tree (Mark 11:14), pronounces his denunciation of woe against the incredulous cities (Matthew 11:21), against the rich, the worldling, the scribes and the Pharisees, and foretells the awful malediction that is to come upon the damned (Matthew 25:41). The word curse is also applied to the victim of expiation for sin (Galatians 3:13), to sins temporal and eternal (Genesis 2:17; Matthew 25:41)."[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse

Do Christhians believe in curses? Whats stance of Christhians toward curses? Bible is Holy Book. Then we see so many curses.
So do curses work? Or they worked just once upon a time.
As young kid I was sure that you can cursed someone.That you can somehow  transfer your hate on that person and ruin his life.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo, 23 August 2013 - 09:36 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    Al Salooq

Al Salooq

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:35 AM

I really dont think the bible talks about cursing in the way you think, youre talking about like verbaly cursing right (not bad words)? Or a curse on an object?

.                                                                              Posted Image

#3    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,327 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

It would be awesome if there's a religion with the codex full of expletives and innuendos.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#4    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:15 AM

View Postambelamba, on 24 August 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

It would be awesome if there's a religion with the codex full of expletives and innuendos.
There was a Catholic pope that authored a book on how to summon demons.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#5    ambelamba

ambelamba

• 3,327 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 24 August 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

I don't think demons actually show up at Eminem concert.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

#6    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

Really Shadowsot?

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo, 24 August 2013 - 08:08 AM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#7    ambelamba

ambelamba

• 3,327 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 24 August 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

Really Shadowsot?

Come to think of it I've never heard of demonic phenomenons at Lewis Black shows either.

#8    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

• (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Le Grimoire du Pape Honorius.

https://www.youtube....ix3pVUX86yBWWzS  (playlist)

Distinguish between spin doctoring and truth. Keep in mind that truth is ALMOST impossible to figure out when it comes to ancient holy book.

#9    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,080 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

SS

Really? Is braveone2u correct about which book you were referring to? No, that couldn't be it.

B12u

Le Grimoire du Pape Honorius.
Shadowsot was talking about a book written by a Pope, not a book with a Pope's name in the title. Besides, Shadowsot wouldn't propose a well-known fairly modern fake. He surely had something else in mind. Right, SS?

Posted Image

#10    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,029 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 23 August 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

According to the Catholic Encyclopedia article on Cursing, the Bible depicts God cursing the serpent, the earth and Cain (Genesis 3:14, 3:17, 4:11). Similarly Noah curses Canaan (Genesis 9:25), and Joshua curses the man who should build the city of Jericho (Joshua 6:26-27). In various books of the Old Testament there are long lists of curses against transgressors of the Law (Leviticus 26:14-25, Deuteronomy 27:15, etc.). So, too, in the New Testament, Christ curses the barren fig-tree (Mark 11:14), pronounces his denunciation of woe against the incredulous cities (Matthew 11:21), against the rich, the worldling, the scribes and the Pharisees, and foretells the awful malediction that is to come upon the damned (Matthew 25:41). The word curse is also applied to the victim of expiation for sin (Galatians 3:13), to sins temporal and eternal (Genesis 2:17; Matthew 25:41)."[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse

Do Christhians believe in curses? Whats stance of Christhians toward curses? Bible is Holy Book. Then we see so many curses.
So do curses work? Or they worked just once upon a time.
As young kid I was sure that you can cursed someone.That you can somehow  transfer your hate on that person and ruin his life.

Big Bad Voodoo

It is interesting that, in the mythology surrounding curses, knowing the name of something grants you some power over it.

In Genesis 2, we see Adam naming "every living creature". Furthermore, it is given to Man dominion over all of them.

But did the superstition that knowing the name of something granted you power over it come from scripture, or was that belief already extant when that scripture was written?

Given what was written, and the meaning of it, I would suggest the latter.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#11    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

View Posteight bits, on 24 August 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

SS

Really? Is braveone2u correct about which book you were referring to? No, that couldn't be it.

B12u

Shadowsot was talking about a book written by a Pope, not a book with a Pope's name in the title. Besides, Shadowsot wouldn't propose a well-known fairly modern fake. He surely had something else in mind. Right, SS?
Yep, I'm trying to find it. This was on a podcast/lecture on famous/infamous characters in history.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#12    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,206 posts

• (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 24 August 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Yep, I'm trying to find it. This was on a podcast/lecture on famous/infamous characters in history.
Here's the English version "download" link:

http://ebookbrowsee....6593bdb556f4ed8

Peace.

Distinguish between spin doctoring and truth. Keep in mind that truth is ALMOST impossible to figure out when it comes to ancient holy book.

#13    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

View Postbraveone2u, on 24 August 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Here's the English version "download" link:

http://ebookbrowsee....6593bdb556f4ed8

Peace.
I appreciate it, but that's not the one I'm talking about.

-Terry Pratchett

#14    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,206 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 24 August 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

I appreciate it, but that's not the one I'm talking about.
You want the French version? It's also available for download. Take care.

#15    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,080 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for digging it out, SS.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users