Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

An encounter with a conspiracy theorist

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1    ambelamba

ambelamba

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

A couple of days ago I showed up at work too early, and ended up chatting with the guy who happened to be one.

I acted nice and played along. But it left me a really bad taste. I pretended to agree with him but I was just amazed by the completely different way to observe life and surroundings. And that's not a compliment.

He was not a good listener, I think. I told him some things that might help him see things from different perspectives, but he didn't even react to it. And he wasn't even interested in different point of view. One thing I tried to tell him was that doomsday myth is not really a common universal one. I can tell you that end-of-the-world prophecy is practically devoid in some regions with rich history and cultures. Even if they exist, some of the tales are far from destructive.

One thing I am really afraid of getting into that sort of mindset is that conspiracy theories like some kind of quicksand. Once you get in, you can't swim out of it. And in my life experience, people with that kind of mindset are usually located in the lower totem pole of the society. No, it has nothing to do with some planned social filtering. That kind of people simply can't handle jobs with higher analytical skills.

#2    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

View Postambelamba, on 24 August 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

And in my life experience, people with that kind of mindset are usually located in the lower totem pole of the society. No, it has nothing to do with some planned social filtering. That kind of people simply can't handle jobs with higher analytical skills.

So, because someone has a different viewpoint of the way the world works, you think their not "analytical"? That's a very condescending type of attitude., IMO.

Congratulations! :tu:

Your exactly what we've come to expect from years of government indoctrination and propaganda.

#3    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,442 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

. And in my life experience, people with that kind of mindset are usually located in the lower totem pole of the society. No, it has nothing to do with some planned social filtering. That kind of people simply can't handle jobs with higher analytical skills.

Well, you hate CP's,.....

I hate Yuppies, and above quote is just one reason why.

And, I have to stay away from the CP's myself. Not sure what is worse a CP, or a Yuppie that thinks they are above other people because of their " status " in what they consider " society ".

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#4    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

View PostSakari, on 24 August 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

And, I have to stay away from the CP's myself. Not sure what is worse a CP, or a Yuppie that thinks they are above other people because of their " status " in what they consider " society ".

And nothing to say of the hipster crowd?

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#5    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostSakari, on 24 August 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

I'll be the first one to tell you, I don't know everything, and I haven't got it all figured out yet. I just try to keep an open mind, and listen to what people have to say, without putting them down.

My husband doesn't like conspiracy theories either. He knows it interests me though, so he just goes, "Yes, dear. Whatever you say dear." :)

#6    Obviousman

Obviousman

Spaced out and plane crazy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

• "Truth needs no defence. Nobody - NOBODY - can ever take the footsteps I made on the surface of the Moon away from me."
    Gene Cernan, Apollo 17

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Congratulations, Kowaski - you demonstrate some of the OP's points nicely.

Ambelama,

I believe it is far more complex than what you alude to. Being a CT is not restricted to any socio-economic group nor is it related to intelligence. I've seen people who are normally quite rational but on a particular subject seem to throw that all aside and take a ridiculous stance.

Those people who seem to embrace the whole gammit of CT beliefs however, seem to have an inate need to 'blame' things on 'the powers that be', a wanting for some type of order in a chaotic & complex world. It is also probably related to an inferiority complex with a desire to be part of a select group, to "know something" that you don't ("I'm aware of this evil conspiracy whilst you are just a sheeple", etc). You'll notice that those people claim to be "keeping an open mind" yet will only accept things that fit their own world-view and steadfastly reject anything that threatens their belief system.

Edited by Obviousman, 24 August 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#7    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostObviousman, on 24 August 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

Congratulations, Kowaski - you demonstrate some of the OP's points nicely.

I really don't care, to be honest.

But hey, if it makes you guys feel better to put down, "Those crazy conspiracy theorists" go for it.

#8    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

It always makes people feel better to laugh at someone crazier than them.

Which is why I never laugh.

ever 0.0

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#9    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,442 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

View PostKowalski, on 24 August 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

I'll be the first one to tell you, I don't know everything, and I haven't got it all figured out yet. I just try to keep an open mind, and listen to what people have to say, without putting them down.

My husband doesn't like conspiracy theories either. He knows it interests me though, so he just goes, "Yes, dear. Whatever you say dear." :)

Hey I said CP's, not CT's :)

What is a CP?

I need to clarify, I do not hate anyone really. I just did not take some of the original comments well. ( I do dis-like Yuppies )

I am not very respectful towards " Psychics " either......My wife loves them, I have to try to do as your husband does and just say " whatever dear "....  :)

Edited by Sakari, 24 August 2013 - 10:49 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#10    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

I only think of early 90's business men like out of american psycho when I hear Yuppie.

what's the deffinition?

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#11    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,442 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostSkepticalB, on 24 August 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

I only think of early 90's business men like out of american psycho when I hear Yuppie.

what's the deffinition?

To me, they are people whom judge others by how much money they make, what kind of job they have, where they live ( neighborhood / house / etc ), what they drive, what they wear.....They hire people to clean their homes, mow their lawns, and do about anything that is manual labor.

They only " associate " with others that have " money " or appear to have money. Special little click of people they are.

Another description :

My in-laws.....Except my Mother in Law.

When I lived in Nevada, I would go mow her lawn for her every weekend. ( she is not exactly healthy for physical work ) We finally talked to the rest of the family and said they need to help, especially since they were her actual offspring, and I am not. I suggested one weekend a month rotating for the 4 of us.....I did it myself, the rest of them chipped in for a lawn service to do it the other 3 weeks........It was not just about doing the work, it was helping her out and visiting......They make me sick.

Edited by Sakari, 24 August 2013 - 10:54 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#12    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,442 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostDecoNoir, on 24 August 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

And nothing to say of the hipster crowd?

Hipsters couldn't incite more blind hatred if they were all ginger-haired Al-Qaeda members. But why? Could it be their taste in music? Fashion sense? Attitude of superiority? Perhaps. Or perhaps it's their stupid, ugly faces. We may never know.

Posted Image

Just a joke :)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#13    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:43 AM

View PostSakari, on 24 August 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

Hey I said CP's, not CT's :)

What is a CP?

I need to clarify, I do not hate anyone really. I just did not take some of the original comments well. ( I do dis-like Yuppies )

I am not very respectful towards " Psychics " either......My wife loves them, I have to try to do as your husband does and just say " whatever dear "....  :)

Oh, I'm not mad at you, I hope you didn't get that impression from my post. :)

I don't like psychics either, but my sister and mother in law like them, so I just nod my head respectfully, so I know how my husband feels....

#14    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:17 AM

View PostKowalski, on 25 August 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

Oh, I'm not mad at you, I hope you didn't get that impression from my post. :)

I don't like psychics either, but my sister and mother in law like them, so I just nod my head respectfully, so I know how my husband feels....

Smile and nod. Actually, considering so many people do it, I'm surprised most people don't see it as a hint to move on... especially Girl Scouts. I'm on a diet damnit!  :)

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#15    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,566 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

He was not a good listener, I think. I told him some things that might help him see things from different perspectives, but he didn't even react to it. And he wasn't even interested in different point of view. One thing I tried to tell him was that doomsday myth is not really a common universal one. I can tell you that end-of-the-world prophecy is practically devoid in some regions with rich history and cultures. Even if they exist, some of the tales are far from destructive.
Conspiracy wackjobs have traded reason with confirmation bias.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users