Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Archaeologists to extract sarcophagus

lincoln castle sarcophagus saxon king bishop

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,340 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

Archaeologists have uncovered a stone sarcophagus thought to contain someone 'terribly important'.

The sarcophagus was unearthed while the castle was being refurbished so that a new center to house the Magna Carta could be built.

Source: http://www.unexplain...-lincoln-castle

Posted Image

#2    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,401 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

I was reading about this this morning.  (or should that be "I was reading this morning about this"?)

Sounds interesting! Hope it's an old Saxon King. :yes:

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#3    Turtleguy

Turtleguy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 64 posts

• A stupid question deserves a stupid answer

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

Nothing more interesting than disturbing the remains of the dead just out of curiosity.

Turtle Power!

#4    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,401 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

I'm pretty certain the dead don't care. ;)

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

#5    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

Universal Horror movies have taught me there is no way this can possibly go wrong.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#6    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 24 August 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

I was reading about this this morning.  (or should that be "I was reading this morning about this"?)

Sounds interesting! Hope it's an old Saxon King. :yes:

If it's a king, a quick wander through my notes brings up about eight possibilities from around AD900. I shall follow this with interest.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

View PostTurtleguy, on 24 August 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

Nothing more interesting than disturbing the remains of the dead just out of curiosity.

Perhaps nobody has been buried long enough in your part of the world to be considered interesting!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!

#8    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,401 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostDecoNoir, on 24 August 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

Universal Horror movies have taught me there is no way this can possibly go wrong.

Of course nothing can go wrong!

I understand the sarcophagus is to be moved, after careful and arduous planning, next month - Friday 13th Sep 2013. :mellow:

Edited by Leonardo, 24 August 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#9    ExoPaul

ExoPaul

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

I live in Lincoln, have done all my life and there is a huge amount of history here thanks to the Cathedral, Castle and also the huge links to Roman Britain here.

On a separate and slightly amusing note.... it is also the place that caused the downfall of the UK TV show Most Haunted, when the crew came to Lincoln Prison (located in the very same castle as this article) for a Live show, and the "Psychic" with them (who was relatively new) claimed after the show finished that it was all fake and the team were deliberately making up false information, information that was completely contradicting all that he was "picking up".
He refused to take part on the show again ( or sacked depending on whether you believe his statement or theirs) amid a public outcry on social media, and the show never returned after it.

#10    Paramys

Paramys

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

• "Per Aspera, Ad Astra"

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

Mmmmmmm vampire........... imprisoned zombie................satan

#11    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

Wow, that's great. I hope they're able to ID the occupant.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#12    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:28 AM

I am gonna say that it's someone dead.

#13    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostExoPaul, on 25 August 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

I live in Lincoln, have done all my life and there is a huge amount of history here thanks to the Cathedral, Castle and also the huge links to Roman Britain here.

On a separate and slightly amusing note.... it is also the place that caused the downfall of the UK TV show Most Haunted, when the crew came to Lincoln Prison (located in the very same castle as this article) for a Live show, and the "Psychic" with them (who was relatively new) claimed after the show finished that it was all fake and the team were deliberately making up false information, information that was completely contradicting all that he was "picking up".
He refused to take part on the show again ( or sacked depending on whether you believe his statement or theirs) amid a public outcry on social media, and the show never returned after it.

Go to Youtube and catch the infamous 'Mary loves Dick' incident! It should serve as an epitaph for every programme of its type!

#14    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,999 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

View Postealdwita, on 24 August 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

Perhaps nobody has been buried long enough in your part of the world to be considered interesting!

Ever notice though?...  many people seem to get much more interesting long after they are buried,  than they were before?    ;

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#15    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

View Postlightly, on 26 August 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

Ever notice though?...  many people seem to get much more interesting long after they are buried,  than they were before? ;

Of course. Why would you need to exhume the body of a person your Grandfather would have known?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users