Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Critter I saw at the Oregon Coast

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,843 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

We were on vacation at the Oregon coast and were staying at Newport. We got up early and went down to the rocks to look at the tide pools with the kids and we saw this little guy. Looked like a ferret to me, but has anyone ever heard of a wild ferret living off seafood on the Oregon Coast?

Attached File  RSCN2057A.JPG   52.22K   94 downloadsAttached File  RSCN2058A.JPG   68.94K   79 downloads

If I had to guess, I would say the whole critter was like 18 inches long.

From the look of his nose, it appears he's been living on the beach for some time.

Opinons??

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#2    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,969 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

Mink.

Link :  http://greycoast.wor...300-mink-freed/

Posted Image

Edited by Sakari, 24 August 2013 - 09:07 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#3    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,392 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

Far as I can tell: American mink

http://en.m.wikipedi...i/American_mink

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#4    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

My guess would be either the American Marten or American Mink.
Both are about the size you describe, the marten will eat fish in coastal areas, but the mink is semiaquatic and eats mostly fish and other aquatic foodstuffs.  Of the two, I'd guess the mink.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#5    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,113 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:30 AM

It's clearly a dolphin.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#6    Scheming B

Scheming B

Adaptable

• 4,711 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:48 AM

Dinner

Stop being frightened. You only see a monster because they want you to see monsters everywhere. They've conditioned you to look for monsters in every shadow, every coat hung on every door. As long as we keep seeing monsters, we'll continue to need protection and that's how other people get to control our lives.

#7    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,843 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

View PostSkepticalB, on 25 August 2013 - 12:48 AM, said:

Dinner
No way. He was small bony and looked yucky.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#8    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,843 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:36 AM

It does look like a mink.

Thanks for the ID guys.

#9    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,113 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 25 August 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

It does look like a mink.

Thanks for the ID guys.

No problem!

It can be hard to identify dolphins sometimes!

Posted Image

Perfect match to your pic!

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 26 August 2013 - 05:04 AM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users