Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Are we being visited?

e.t.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you believe an advanced civilization from outerspace is visiting us? (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you believe an advanced civilization from outerspace is visiting us?

1. Yes (15 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. No (28 votes [56.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.00%

3. I'm undecided (7 votes [14.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

Do you believe an advanced civilization from outerspace is visiting our blue planet?

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#2    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for voting.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#3    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,598 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

I voted "No", but I would like to qualify that somewhat.

It's not, for me, a matter of belief. It's a matter of evidence and knowledge.

For the former, there is no physical evidence either for the existence of, or visitation by, an ET intelligence. The only evidence we have is anecdotal, and this is weak.

For the latter, the only knowledge we may base the possibility of an ET visitation on, is our own. Given the knowledge we currently possess, we can conclude it would not be possible for an EBE in any way similar to us (not morphologically, but in general traits) to bridge the gap between stars.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#4    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostLeonardo, on 25 August 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

For the former, there is no physical evidence either for the existence of, or visitation by, an ET intelligence. The only evidence we have is anecdotal, and this is weak.

For the latter, the only knowledge we may base the possibility of an ET visitation on, is our own. Given the knowledge we currently possess, we can conclude it would not be possible for an EBE in any way similar to us (not morphologically, but in general traits) to bridge the gap between stars.
Hi Leonardo - what are your thoughts on a separate section for "The UFO Phenomenon" due to the fact that something is being seen be eyewitnesses, be it Chinese lanterns, Venus or whatever?

#5    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,111 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 25 August 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

Hi Leonardo. I agree with your point about the evidence though I'm not sure I can agree it would be impossible for a sufficiently advanced civ to bridge the gap between stars. Some type of warp drive is, at least theoretically possible by our understanding of physics, at least according to Dr. Machio Kaku, so it just becomes an engineering problem. Having said that, I still find it improbable. And I most definitely doubt an advanced civ would come here just to mutilate cows and make designs in corn fields

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,820 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

View PostNatureBoff, on 25 August 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

Hi Leonardo - what are your thoughts on a separate section for "The UFO Phenomenon" due to the fact that something is being seen be eyewitnesses, be it Chinese lanterns, Venus or whatever?
ET is an explanation for the UFO phenomenon, just (as you often say) not the only explanation. They are related in the same way teh hand and the glove are related.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#7    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,742 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 25 August 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

ET is an explanation for the UFO phenomenon, just (as you often say) not the only explanation. They are related in the same way teh hand and the glove are related.

As unfortunate as that is, I have to agree. <_<  ^_^

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#8    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,598 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 25 August 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

Hi Leonardo. I agree with your point about the evidence though I'm not sure I can agree it would be impossible for a sufficiently advanced civ to bridge the gap between stars. Some type of warp drive is, at least theoretically possible by our understanding of physics, at least according to Dr. Machio Kaku, so it just becomes an engineering problem. Having said that, I still find it improbable. And I most definitely doubt an advanced civ would come here just to mutilate cows and make designs in corn fields

Hi backatcha, spacecowboy.

I don't disagree about the theory, but theory ain't practice.

Until/unless we can turn theory into practice, interstellar travel remains an impossibility.

And, while I do not doubt Dr. Kaku's intellect or credentials, even respected scientists have been known to talk a bunch of woo in front of the camera's.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#9    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,111 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 25 August 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Hi backatcha, spacecowboy.

I don't disagree about the theory, but theory ain't practice.

Until/unless we can turn theory into practice, interstellar travel remains an impossibility.

And, while I do not doubt Dr. Kaku's intellect or credentials, even respected scientists have been known to talk a bunch of woo in front of the camera's.
Good point

#10    shephardess

shephardess

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

Interstellar travel may be impossible for us with our technology but that does not mean it's impossible for another type of being. There could be a technology we do not or cannot understand. Just because we can't conceive of how something could be done that does not make it impossible.
When self opening doors first came to the Virgin Islands it was humorous to see the reaction of the native people. They would not go inside because they thought it was voodoo. In their minds doors opening by themselves was impossible. It didn't take them long to adapt, being highly intelligent people.
I'm not saying we definitely are being visited by aliens, only that I can't agree that it is impossible.

#11    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:24 PM

I'm of the opinion that the Universe owes no favours to life, in regards to traversing the galaxy. As far as we have seen, the speed of light is the absolute speed limit in the universe. According to Einstein, nothing with mass can reach it. Some kind of manipulation of the Higgs Field to reduce the mass of a spaceship would make it easier to accelerate, and if a vehicle could be made massless then it could reach the speed of light, but not surpass it. Of course there may be more to physics that we haven't grasped yet, but there is still the problem that a spaceship travelling near, at, or beyond the speed of light would be decimated by a collision with the smallest piece of space debris.

Warp Drive sounds nice and all, but there are two problems with it. The energy required for the theoretical Alcubierre drive is on the level of solar masses, so we'd need some way to harness the energy of three stars(we've only got one), including negative energy, and we don't actually know how to build a machine to fold spacetime. Again, an ET a thousand years ahead of us might be able to conquer these problems - or they'll find that our speculations in regards to warping space are quaint and completely wrong.

Wormholes might exist, but you have no idea where they'll come out. You could emerge on the other side of the Universe, or in an active galactic nuclei, or in the vast swaths of empty space between galaxies.

We can't really speculate on unknown physics, but it's possible until proven otherwise. I'm skeptical that we're being visited because I think, unless there is an easy way to traverse the stars, our system isn't really worth the trouble.

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#12    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

My vote was: No.
I think that no other civilization has passed beyond the great filter/great barrier. We aren't sure if we have passed it or not.
I believe in the great possibility of other intelligent life -elsewhere- -somewhere-  but just not anywhere near us. Even if aliens wanted to visit, perhaps they just -can't- due to something preventing them, either lack of technology/know-how or they are as clueless as we are.

But just because the aliens aren't here, doesn't mean they aren't 'anywhere'. Though I do strongly believe that they are not in our solar system, because the nursery is for the babies, not for grownups.

(My statements reflect my -own- beliefs based on my own formed logic and reasoning. When I said: '...just because the aliens aren't here...' I am not trying to come across as 'factual' generally speaking. It is simply a matter of my own fact, because I haven't seen proof otherwise. And boy, do I wish there was proof... that would be super cool.)

Kind Regards :)

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#13    Star Man

Star Man

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:22 AM

I am being visited by many aliens, but do not know which one is ET & which one is from  advanced civilization:
http://ufo-spacelife...n-universe.html

#14    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,177 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:25 AM

what's the difference?

I've seen **** that'll turn you WHITE!

#15    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,847 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

One of the best statements of the week,"We cant really speculate on unknown physics " Good one mate ! Keep Looking Up ! Thats where it All Is ! As for Being visited Thats always a possibility ! Its All in the way one Looks at things Fact or Fiction ITs All Possible ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

Also tagged with e.t.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users