Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Syria Will Allow UN Inspectors


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Leonardo

Leonardo

    Awake

  • Member
  • 18,412 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

  • Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Quote

The Syrian government has agreed to allow UN inspectors to visit the site of a suspected chemical weapon attack outside Damascus, state media report.

The move came shortly after a senior US official told reporters there was "very little doubt" that a chemical weapon had been used by government forces.

source

Of course, those opposed to the Syrian govt will claim any evidence found which may exonerate that govt of complicity in the attack will have been "planted". And any evidence of rebel complicity will be fobbed off as a "rogue, extremist element".

And so the inspections will not achieve anything inside Syria, but are purely for the International Community's benefit. And the International Community will still pursue the same agenda they have been pursuing for the last coule of years, making their convenient excuses to maintain those agendas.

Nothing will change. What an exercise in futility. And I expect the Syrian govt already know this.

Edited by Leonardo, 25 August 2013 - 01:20 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#2    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 17,785 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 25 August 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

source

Of course, those opposed to the Syrian govt will claim any evidence found which may exonerate that govt of complicity in the attack will have been "planted". And any evidence of rebel complicity will be fobbed off as a "rogue, extremist element".

And so the inspections will not achieve anything inside Syria, but are purely for the International Community's benefit. And the International Community will still pursue the same agenda they have been pursuing for the last coule of years, making their convenient excuses to maintain those agendas.

Nothing will change. What an exercise in futility. And I expect the Syrian govt already know this.
If airstrikes are used to successfully destroy or disable the chemical weapons sites then THAT would be a real and profitable change for everyone they are being used on - regardless WHO is using them.

  We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#3    Leonardo

Leonardo

    Awake

  • Member
  • 18,412 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

  • Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

The facilities where the govt keeps it's stockpiles are likely to be hardened, so destroying them would be difficult. Any stockpiles the rebels have acquired are likely to be hidden or dispersed, so where would the airstrikes target?

What this strategy would accomplish, would be the eradication of the govt stockpiles of WMD's, while leaving the rebel stockpiles relatively intact.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#4    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 17,785 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 25 August 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

The facilities where the govt keeps it's stockpiles are likely to be hardened, so destroying them would be difficult. Any stockpiles the rebels have acquired are likely to be hidden or dispersed, so where would the airstrikes target?

What this strategy would accomplish, would be the eradication of the govt stockpiles of WMD's, while leaving the rebel stockpiles relatively intact.
In which case any further use of these weapons would be a dead giveaway as to the perpetrators.  Until now there is no solid proof of who has done this.  It's a terrible situation and unlikely to get any better unless the weapons themselves are targeted.  An imperfect plan is sometimes better than no plan at all.  Unfortunately I believe international law makes any party who attempts to destroy WMD responsible for cleaning up the mess afterward.  The strikes would need to be very hot.  Thermobaric weapons perhaps - like those used on the caves in Tora Bora.  Even then there would likely be contamination for years.  And of course the west would be liable - even though these mad hatters were the one's keeping the things in the first place.

Edited by and then, 25 August 2013 - 02:11 PM.

  We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#5    Leonardo

Leonardo

    Awake

  • Member
  • 18,412 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

  • Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

So, the inspectors have been shot at and had to return to base. Another attempt to reach the site tomorrow, so I read.

The conspiracy theories are flying about who did the shooting, and the US is trying to pre-empt the UN by claiming that shelling will have rendered the site useless for investigating anyway. The UK is, of course, following to heel behind the US while France is trotting along besides. Russia, meanwhile, is slowly ratcheting up their rhetoric insisting any military action without UN resolution would be a "gross violation of international law."

In other news, Miley Cyrus' antics on stage at the VMA's have the world buzzing. Shocking expose to follow!

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#6    Leonardo

Leonardo

    Awake

  • Member
  • 18,412 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

  • Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

So, the UN inspectors have spent some time in Muadhamiya, and have collected some samples. It's not being reported what these samples consist of*, but I expect we'll hear in a day or two if there's anything significant.

Meanwhile the United States of Armageddon are still talking up their stance. It has now become a case of "moral obscenities" against the "most vulnerable people in the world". Feeling panicky over what the UN inspectors might find, Mr Kerry?

*I'm not hearing about soil samples or shrapnel from a potential delivery system, but tissue samples are possible as it's being reported the inspectors visited a couple of hospitals in the area.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#7    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

    Shadow Dancer

  • Member
  • 5,552 posts
  • Joined:17 Mar 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Free Syria

  • Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

both sides agreed to stop fire " goverment and rebels "
but when the inspectors were with the rebels on the way to the other spot
the goverment started firing
as to " how " i know .. we hear them every time they fire missiles or cannons from nearby

it's a desperate attempt to make time passes on the false hope of chemcial effects and evidence will go away

"why should we not rely on Allah when he guided us our path . we shall certainly bear with patience all the hurt you may cause us. for those who want to put their trust in someone should put their trust in Allah.


#8    Leonardo

Leonardo

    Awake

  • Member
  • 18,412 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

  • Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 27 August 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

both sides agreed to stop fire " goverment and rebels "
but when the inspectors were with the rebels on the way to the other spot
the goverment started firing
as to " how " i know .. we hear them every time they fire missiles or cannons from nearby

it's a desperate attempt to make time passes on the false hope of chemcial effects and evidence will go away

Do you have real evidence for the claim highlighted, KoS? Not just your hearing random gunfire?

Because "the rebels" are hardly a cohesive force in respect they comprise of different groups with different agendas.

Edited by Leonardo, 27 August 2013 - 09:23 AM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#9    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

    Shadow Dancer

  • Member
  • 5,552 posts
  • Joined:17 Mar 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Free Syria

  • Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 27 August 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

Do you have real evidence for the claim highlighted, KoS? Not just your hearing random gunfire?

Because "the rebels" are hardly a cohesive force in respect they comprise of different groups with different agendas.
i didn't hear " gunfire " we hear " cannon fire " and missiles launches
and the way this criminal goverment was going .i won't give it benfit of doubt
they're soaked in our blood

"why should we not rely on Allah when he guided us our path . we shall certainly bear with patience all the hurt you may cause us. for those who want to put their trust in someone should put their trust in Allah.


#10    Leonardo

Leonardo

    Awake

  • Member
  • 18,412 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

  • Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 27 August 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

i didn't hear " gunfire " we hear " cannon fire " and missiles launches
and the way this criminal goverment was going .i won't give it benfit of doubt
they're soaked in our blood

That has become obvious, which is why your claims regarding responsibility for any atrocities should be treated as suspect unless you can supply real evidence to support them. This is not to suggest you are a bad person, or similar, but that you are incontrovertibly compromised by your beliefs.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#11    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

    Shadow Dancer

  • Member
  • 5,552 posts
  • Joined:17 Mar 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Free Syria

  • Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

this is the same claim you making as the goverment
there is no evidence they attack or destroyed any home it was all rebels according to them
then where all those missiles and bombs they launching go ? they're harmless right ? never exploded ?

our words is the evidence
this goverment you trying to justify or give benfit of doubt
denied access of all media to syria ? why ?
not because they're hiding something ?
or because they doing things they don't want the world to see ?

"why should we not rely on Allah when he guided us our path . we shall certainly bear with patience all the hurt you may cause us. for those who want to put their trust in someone should put their trust in Allah.


#12    Leonardo

Leonardo

    Awake

  • Member
  • 18,412 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

  • Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

Not quite, KoS. What I am saying is that there is no clear evidence which 'side' is responsible. That's quite different to making a stipulation that the lack of evidence only exonerates the govt of committing such an act.

And I am only referring to the use of chemical weapons, not to the general warfare going on.

Edited by Leonardo, 27 August 2013 - 01:27 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#13    Leonardo

Leonardo

    Awake

  • Member
  • 18,412 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK

  • Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

No more to be heard about the site inspection so far, but it's being reported that the UK has drafted a UN resolution which will request "necessary measures be taken to protect civilians" and a condemnation of the "chemical weapons attack by Assad". This is being reported on the BBC news website.

Personally, I think this resolution is a non-starter. There will be much debate about clarifying what "necessary measures" amount to, and there is no way the "condemnation of Assad" will get through unless the US/UK/France have very compelling evidence they have not yet made public.

Still this axis of countries might use the failure of the resolution-making process to justify unilateral action so, in that regards, this loosely termed piece of partisan rhetoric will probably do it's job.

Edited by Leonardo, 28 August 2013 - 11:44 AM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#14    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

    hi

  • Member
  • 9,304 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

View PostLeonardo, on 28 August 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

No more to be heard about the site inspection so far, but it's being reported that the UK has drafted a UN resolution which will request "necessary measures be taken to protect civilians" and a condemnation of the "chemical weapons attack by Assad". This is being reported on the BBC news website.

Personally, I think this resolution is a non-starter. There will be much debate about clarifying what "necessary measures" amount to, and there is no way the "condemnation of Assad" will get through unless the US/UK/France have very compelling evidence they have not yet made public.

Still this axis of countries might use the failure of the resolution-making process to justify unilateral action so, in that regards, this loosely termed piece of partisan rhetoric will probably do it's job.
They have found evidence of chemicals were used according the the UN in Syria


#15    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

    hi

  • Member
  • 9,304 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

"Meanwhile, in a briefing to journalists, joint UN-Arab League envoy to Syria Lakhdar Brahimi said: "It does seem clear that some kind of substance was used... that killed a lot of people" on 21 August."





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users