Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

2,000-yr-old ancient skeleton mask discovered

kŁtahya skeleton mask aizanoi dionysos burial ceremonies

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,021 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

A 2,000-year-old skeleton with a mask on its face has been found in the Aizanoi ancient city in Kütahya, during excavations in the area which have been continuing for two years now with new findings emerging.

The mask of the skeleton was found along with the face and the body. This mask is thought to have been used in the burial ceremonies in Aizonoi, said Özer. The mask was put on the face of the dead and this might signify the relation of the dead with the ceremony of Dionysos.

http://www.hurriyetd...3&NewsCatID=375

Posted Image

#2    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

Interesting article, linking the mask to Dionysus's cult. If I remember correctly (and I may not), ancient actors wore masks instead of makeup. And wasn't Dionysis the patron of the arts, the theater especially? I wonder if there's a connection there.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#3    thewild

thewild

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

• Y HELLO THAR

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

Very interesting. I was hoping for more photos in the article though

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users