Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Secrets of Beowulf revealed

beowulf monster grendel epic poem heorot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,380 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

The real-life medieval society which spawned the epic poem Beowulf is coming to light in a series of ground-breaking discoveries centred around the royal court of sixth-century Denmark.

The poem, one of the oldest literary works written in English, tells the story of how the hero Beowulf defeats the monster Grendel, who has been terrorising the royal hall of Heorot.

The fiend is attracted to the court by the sound of feasting - and excavations in the area thought to have inspired the poem have revealed that it did indeed host feasts on an epic scale.

http://www.dailymail...-epic-poem.html

Posted Image

#2    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

I love that epic. I actually have it in several of my English Lit books. One of my fave movies is Beowulf with Christopher Lambert in it. VERY different take than the others I've seen, but I thought it was pretty cool.

#3    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 14,989 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

The tale of Beowulf was the first ancient tale I learned - although not in it's correct form - and it retains a special place in my pantheon of great historical literature. If they have found the place the epic was based in, that would be fantastic!

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#4    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

All that feasting and they didn't invite me to the party? I'd be a mite teed off, too!

Edited by brlesq1, 26 August 2013 - 10:42 PM.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users