Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gibraltar 'invasion' fake pictures spark fury

gibraltar invasion facebook callosa de segura mayor

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,374 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

The Spanish mayor of a town popular with British expats has provoked a furious reaction after posting photos of a pretend military invasion of Gibraltar on his Facebook page.

http://www.telegraph...spark-fury.html

Posted Image

#2    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,410 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

Idiocy is no barrier to public office. Indeed, some might argue the contrary is true.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#3    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,951 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

no wonder their economy is in ruins, but you have to laugh at the mock up picture, how did they get the bull up the rock. impressive.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#4    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,169 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

No problem the Apes will see off the Bull.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#5    A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

Quite frankly the thought of the Spanish invading and actually winning is quite Laughable.This Mayor has made himself and his Countrymen look rather Silly.

" Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos. "

Anon.

#6    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 27 August 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

No problem the Apes will see off the Bull.

Barbary macaques are tailess monkeys.

Ealdwita snippet alert......

Gibraltar's barbary macaque population was under the care of the British Army and later the Gibraltar Regiment from 1915 to 1991, who carefully controlled a population that initially consisted of a single troop. An officer was appointed to supervise their welfare, and a food allowance of fruit, vegetables and nuts was included in the budget. Births were gazetted in true military fashion, and each new arrival was named. They were named after governors, brigadiers and high-ranking officers. Any ill or injured monkey needing surgery or any other form of medical attention was taken to Royal Naval Hospital Gibraltar and received the same treatment as would an enlisted Serviceman. Following the withdrawal of the British garrison, the Government of Gibraltar took over responsibility for the monkeys welfare.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,149 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

I rather like his cheerful un-PCness. None of this nonsense about European Solidarity, I find his honesty rather refreshing really.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#8    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,522 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

Dont get angry...get even!!! Do, as I have just done, reported the mocked up photo to Facebook , and directly mailed him to call him a "Tonto" (stupid). I also pointed out that as a member of the PP party in Spain he is resorting to diverting the fact that the PP Gov in Spain is the most corrupt ever, its leader Mariano Rajoy (Pres.) does not have to answer to Parliamentary Questions because the PP have a majority vote in Senate (effectively a Veto).

The Spanish Army (all branches) has been so emasculated under PP rule that they are no longer considered to be Combat Ready within NATO.

Much as I dont like to do it (being Resident in Spain), I am starting a Campaign for next year's Brits Holiday season urging people to go to Greece, Malta, or Cypress, instead of Spain. En Masse then you would get terrific deals in all of these places, and the PP in Spain need to be taught a lesson.

Gibraltar is British within International Law, Spain has absolutely no claim whatsoever on it, and their argument that Territorial waters are not included is vapid at best, because there was not even a concept of Territorial waters until 60 Years ago (240 years after Spain ceded Gibraltar to British rule in perpetuity)!!!

Edited by keithisco, 28 August 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#9    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

The picture was amusing, but 'Spanish Army Battalion' was surely the most comical part of his facebook page.

#10    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

I looked at the OP link and... I have to ask, is that the actual uniform of the Spanish army? Looks like they have their shirts open?

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#11    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,149 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

I needn't worry too much, since very shortly, to judge from the picture, there's going to be an almighty pile-up when all those planes fly straight into the Rock.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#12    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,522 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostAsadora, on 28 August 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

I looked at the OP link and... I have to ask, is that the actual uniform of the Spanish army? Looks like they have their shirts open?
You are right. The Shirt MUST be buttoned up,
Seriously go to his Facebook page, the vast majority of comments support him! Unbelievable, because the vast majorty of Gibraltar's immediate neighbours (the town of La Linea de la Concepcion) who have up to 10,000 locals working on the Rock are totally appalled at this whole farago. 56 Fishermen from Spain actually fishing illegally in waters that have been excluded by Spain (Andalucia in this case) because the waters are a conservation site, versus 10,000 Spanish workers going to Gibraltar... this will not end well

Edited by keithisco, 28 August 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#13    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 3,524 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostAsadora, on 28 August 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

It's hot in Spain.

#14    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,522 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 28 August 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

It's hot in Spain.
But NO, it is not the way the Uniform may be worn....

#15    A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

The Spanish Army look so camp.

" Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos. "

Anon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users