Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Police rescue 360 pitbulls in dog fight raid

pitbulls dog fighting ring

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,951 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

Police in the US have rescued more than 360 pitbull terriers and arrested 12 people as they broke up an organised dog fighting ring, officials said.

Authorities said the malnourished and mistreated dogs were recovered along with $500,000 (£320,000) in raids on Friday in Alabama and Georgia.

US Attorney George Beck said bets on a single dog fight had risen as high as $200,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-23845877

Posted Image

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,765 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

I really don't understand some people... dog racing I can understand, and the dogs seem to enjoy it as well (those that are treated well)... but dog fighting?...  There is very little that is lower than a
person that causes pain in others for their own enjoyment/profit...

#3    Phaeton80

Phaeton80

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

• "Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.."

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

I wonder how many of these 'rescued dogs' are still alive after a month or three.

#4    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,244 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

I wonder if we can chain them to heavy car parts, starve them, and then make them fight each other just for the sake of entertainment and/or profit...

Edited by Mantis914, 27 August 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#5    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Poltergeist

• 2,141 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

View PostTaun, on 27 August 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

I really don't understand some people... dog racing I can understand, and the dogs seem to enjoy it as well (those that are treated well)... but dog fighting?...  There is very little that is lower than a
person that causes pain in others for their own enjoyment/profit...

View PostStill Waters, on 27 August 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

US Attorney George Beck said bets on a single dog fight had risen as high as $200,000.

...there is your answer, unfortunately :unsure2:

"Don't let your dreams be dreams"

- Shia LaBeouf

#6    MacsMom

MacsMom

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Random crap that no one reads anyway

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Same as cockfighting and bullfighting.  Anything that is a fight to the death for entertainment and money is just wrong wrong wrong!!! :no:

Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along.  Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone?

#7    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,765 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 27 August 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

...there is your answer, unfortunately :unsure2:

Oh I understand the reason... Just not the people...

#8    Mabon

Mabon

Psychic Spy

• 1,741 posts

• Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

Some people don't deserve to be called people!

Hope the dogs can recover and be rehabilitated.

Mabon.

One need not be a chamber to be haunted;
One need not be a house;
The brain has corridors surpassing
Material place.  ~ Emily Dickinson

#9    F3SS

F3SS

Estranged

• 8,219 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

^^^ I do too but that many scarred pit bulls aren't going to be saved. I eel bad for the dogs but we aren't all Caesar Milano, aka the Dog Whisperer. I wouldn't want one around my family. It's a shame but these dogs are now scared, vicious, sick and unpredictable. These dog fighting scum are so low. And who is the famous guy placing $200k bets?

#10    Mabon

Mabon

Psychic Spy

• 1,741 posts

• Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

Yeah............sigh. I know not all of them will be able to be placed in homes. But as sad as it is, at least they don't have to die in an inhumane way. And for myself I want to think about the ones that can be saved and placed, rather than dwelling on more negativity.

Mabon.

One need not be a chamber to be haunted;
One need not be a house;
The brain has corridors surpassing
Material place.  ~ Emily Dickinson

#11    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

Animal protection laws are a joke. Michael Vick is enjoying his new "tough" dog and acts as a spokesperson of the ASPCA.

"Specifics are to be determined, but Pacelle made it clear that the expectation on both sides is for Vick to contribute more to the cause than public service announcements. A source close to Vick said he has agreed to be more than a spokesman. Pacelle believes Vick can do the most good in the area the society believes is of greatest need -- urban outreach and prevention."

Urban outreach and prevention ...... right...

Yo, yo, yo, look at my new tough dog!

/facepalm

#12    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

View PostMacsMom, on 27 August 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

Same as cockfighting and bullfighting.  Anything that is a fight to the death for entertainment and money is just wrong wrong wrong!!! :no:

I love dogs.  I have always had a canine  companion.

You speak in ignorance though.  I happen to know fighting chickens....they do not need human intervention to fight to the death...it is in their DNA....the cocks fight for control of the hens....and they will fight...willingly until only one rooster is left....this is a fact.  Hard to believe...not really if you do research and leave your heart strings behind.

The dog fighting....less natural....in nature, yes they will agreeingly engage in a fight but when one is losing....in wide open nature, it can run off...in a pit there is no escape.

I don't think so many people are too wise or educated on the nature of some species....they fight....hell even bugs fight...to the death....people learned to gamble on that...but it is not people that cause it....nature did this.

I am not saying for an instance that I agree with it...but some folks need to get their "natural" facts straight....bugs fight to the death....chickens fight to the death....dogs and mammals...not so much....in nature they can run away and be a loner from the pack....

I love my dogs and would never let harm come to them...but you that think "fighting to the death" is not natural are naive...nature is a cruel mother effer....

Edited by Jeremiah65, 27 August 2013 - 10:25 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#13    MacsMom

MacsMom

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Random crap that no one reads anyway

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 27 August 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

I love dogs.  I have always had a canine  companion.

You speak in ignorance though.  I happen to know fighting chickens....they do not need human intervention to fight to the death...it is in their DNA....the cocks fight for control of the hens....and they will fight...willingly until only one rooster is left....this is a fact.  Hard to believe...not really if you do research and leave your heart strings behind.

The dog fighting....less natural....in nature, yes they will agreeingly engage in a fight but when one is losing....in wide open nature, it can run off...in a pit there is no escape.

I don't think so many people are too wise or educated on the nature of some species....they fight....hell even bugs fight...to the death....people learned to gamble on that...but it is not people that cause it....nature did this.

I am not saying for an instance that I agree with it...but some folks need to get their "natural" facts straight....bugs fight to the death....chickens fight to the death....dogs and mammals...not so much....in nature they can run away and be a loner from the pack....

I love my dogs and would never let harm come to them...but you that think "fighting to the death" is not natural are naive...nature is a cruel mother effer....

I am well aware that fights to the death are common in nature.  What is NOT common is animals thrown into a ring together to fight to the death while people wager on their death.  You can spout all you want about how roosters will fight for hens.  Last time I saw a video on cockfighting, there wasn't a hen to be seen.

And dogs WILL fight to the death without human intervention. My yorkie and I were attacked by a black lab while walking around the neighborhood and the lab tore my yorkie to shreds.  Neither one of them were taught or bred to fight, I assure you.

Edited by MacsMom, 27 August 2013 - 11:58 PM.

Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along.  Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone?

#14    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,811 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:06 AM

View PostPhaeton80, on 27 August 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

I wonder how many of these 'rescued dogs' are still alive after a month or three.

Given what they've be living like and trained to do. I'm not sure if many will make it out of this without being put down.

#15    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,205 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

All of the recovered money(or as much of it is needed) should go towards ensuring that as many of the dogs get the training/care they'll need to hopefully get adopted out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users