Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Ancient artifact continues to amaze

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,117 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

"Ancient artifact continues to amaze"

Adena Pipe fascinates more than 100 years after its discovery

All that’s left of a once-sacred burial ground where three dozen human remains and the Adena Pipe — the state’s official artifact — were discovered more than 100 years ago is a slight rise in a street in a subdivision just north of Chillicothe.

While the scene is oh-so-ordinary now, the 26-foot-tall burial mound that sat on former Ohio Gov. Thomas Worthington’s property was once a marvel.

The mound, pipe and people who made them all bear the same name as the property they were found on — Adena, Hebrew for “delightful place.”'

and

Mills described the Adena Pipe as “one of the most wonderful pieces of art taken from the mounds of Ohio,” and the “the highest art of prehistoric culture,” according to an article that Lepper wrote for the society.

“It’s the earliest representation of a human that we have in Ohio,” Lepper said.

The pipe is about 8 inches tall, weighs a pound and is loaded with striking details, including its hair, headdress, ear spools, and loin cloth adorned with serpents and a feather bustle.

It signifies that the people who made up this ancient culture “were really quite capable of artistic achievements,” said Richard Yerkes, an Ohio State University anthropologist.

“Some people have wondered, is it an accurate depiction of an actual person.”

With its elongated torso and short legs, some researchers say it could have been made in the image of a dwarf. Others say it represents a shaman with bent legs.

“The history of Ohio doesn’t start with the colonial period,” Yerkes said. “This was a really remarkable place thousands and thousands of years ago.”

http://www.dispatch....s-to-amaze.html

Edited by seeder, 27 August 2013 - 10:02 PM.

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

Interesting. Never heard of this one before.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,117 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

View Postbrlesq1, on 27 August 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

Interesting. Never heard of this one before.

me either !!!

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:41 PM

It is unfortunate that joseph smith usurped the Ohio cultures for his own religious ends. I feel this causes a lot of people to turn a blind eye to the rich history and the insite we could gain from it.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#5    haneyhkw

haneyhkw

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:56 AM

I feel this causes a lot of people to turn a blind eye to the rich history and the insite we could gain from it. Posted Image

#6    Vance665

Vance665

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

I feel this causes a lot of people to turn a blind eye to the rich history and the incite we could gain from it. Posted Image

#7    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,117 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

View PostVance665, on 28 August 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

I feel this causes a lot of people to turn a blind eye to the rich history and the incite we could gain from it. Posted Image

????

#8    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence. He whose k

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

Don't you mean "???"?

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#9    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,117 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:13 AM

View PostHarte, on 28 August 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

Don't you mean "???"?

Harte

haha youre funny! :lol:   But I think I meant this actually

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users