Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

NJ coast shipwreck is steamer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,754 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

The hulking wreck has been a regular destination for divers but a riddle to historians: What ship came to rest in 85 feet of water 10 miles off New Jersey's coastline? Now, federal officials have an answer.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced Tuesday that it has confirmed that the ship is the Robert J. Walker, an iron-hulled steamer doing mapping work for the U.S. Coast Survey that sank 153 years ago after a violent collision with a 250-ton schooner.

Twenty sailors aboard the Walker died, making it the worst accident in the history of the U.S. Coast Survey or its successor, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Full story

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#2    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

I guess that's one more accounted for.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 9,977 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

I'd love to explore a shipwreck.

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,018 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostEldorado, on 29 August 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

I'd love to explore a shipwreck.

No biggie... start by holding your breath underwater at the local swimming pool :innocent:

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users