Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

People donít like Obamacare

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,698 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

Washington Post said:

Two things are true about Obamacare. First, the law has been broadly unpopular for the last several years. Second, the idea of defunding it — as some conservative Republicans are pushing — is even less popular.

The new August tracking poll from the Kaiser Family Foundation, which is the resource for public opinion on the law, makes that case definitively.

Let’s start with overall approval of the law. Forty-two percent of those tested have an unfavorable view of it while 37 percent view it favorably, numbers that have been consistent since late 2011. Even the party breakdowns inside the main question are remarkably steady; roughly six in 10 Democrats, one in three independents and 15 percent (or so) of Republicans approve of Obamacare.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

Well, according to this http://www.dontfundobamacare.com/ the petition signatures are at 781,507 signatures, so obviously quite a few people want it defunded.....

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,698 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

View PostKowalski, on 28 August 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

Well, according to this http://www.dontfundobamacare.com/ the petition signatures are at 781,507 signatures, so obviously quite a few people want it defunded.....

that still is below 0.5% of the voting population.

I don't know how many times I have to repeat it: a small number of activists changes nothing. Those who matter at the end of the day are those likely to go to vote. And those generally are not the small number of activists. You will find them in the morning sitting in the local coffee shop hangout complaining about their medical bill.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,223 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 28 August 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

that still is below 0.5% of the voting population.

I don't know how many times I have to repeat it: a small number of activists changes nothing. Those who matter at the end of the day are those likely to go to vote. And those generally are not the small number of activists. You will find them in the morning sitting in the local coffee shop hangout complaining about their medical bill.
If the number was 40 times higher, you could say that it's still below 20% of the voting population.   The point is that people shouldn't be forced by the federal government to buy a product or service they don't want.   16 million Americans may not want to buy the next government-mandated charade, and that much larger but relatively small number isn't an excuse for them to have to buy it.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,698 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostYamato, on 28 August 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

If the number was 40 times higher, you could say that it's still below 20% of the voting population.   The point is that people shouldn't be forced by the federal government to buy a product or service they don't want.   16 million Americans may not want to buy the next government-mandated charade, and that much larger but relatively small number isn't an excuse for them to have to buy it.

Have you stopped to pay SS lately? Or is it different when they "push down your throat' a retirement pay and free medical when you are old?

How about car insurance?

about me

#6    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

I don't see how anyone would like a program that forces you to buy health insurance and fines you if you don't.

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,698 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostRazer, on 28 August 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

I don't see how anyone would like a program that forces you to buy health insurance and fines you if you don't.

So why are you not rebelling against Social Security? There you are buying insurance against poverty once unable to work.

about me

#8    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,223 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 28 August 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

Have you stopped to pay SS lately? Or is it different when they "push down your throat' a retirement pay and free medical when you are old?

How about car insurance?
So maybe big government and big insurance in bed together is a good thing and we should get even more, more more of it?    Maybe the US government should determine what kind of car insurance I need and how much I should pay for it?   I'm sure some bureaucrat with a pencil knows all about me and the market can't handle that either.   Car insurance will be $375/month in no time once the government starts dolling it out.  Nobody will be able to afford it unless it's the government plan.  How many times do we have to learn the lesson the hard way before we learn it once?

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#9    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,698 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostYamato, on 28 August 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

So maybe big government and big insurance in bed together is a good thing and we should get even more, more more of it? Maybe the US government should determine what kind of car insurance I need and how much I should pay for it?   I'm sure some bureaucrat with a pencil knows all about me and the market can't handle that either.   Car insurance will be $375/month in no time once the government starts dolling it out.  Nobody will be able to afford it unless it's the government plan.  How many times do we have to learn the lesson the hard way before we learn it once?

If it were not for the insistence of your political allies there would have been a public option, which is the only way this will really work at the end of the day. Was screwed up in Congress, we will have to live with it. And yes, I rather pay $375 a month than living sleeping under a bridge just because I got cancer.

Edited by questionmark, 28 August 2013 - 09:20 PM.

about me

#10    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:)

Edited by Kowalski, 28 August 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#11    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,223 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:28 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 28 August 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

If it were not for the insistence of your political allies there would have been a public option, which is the only way this will really work at the end of the day. Was screwed up in Congress, we will have to live with it. And yes, I rather pay $375 a month than living sleeping under a bridge just because I got cancer.
Walking to work because you don't have car insurance, you mean.   Regarding cancer, I'd rather grow an acre of cannabis in my back yard and eat/juice a plant a day and save myself with the best medicine available but that's too difficult for the dumbkabobs in government to figure out too.   They'd rather put my cancer-ravaged body that never hurt anyone in a cage for daring to help myself.

#12    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• 1,569 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 28 August 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

So why are you not rebelling against Social Security? There you are buying insurance against poverty once unable to work.

I don't like social securty either.  I would rather make my own retirement choices with that money.  Unfortunately it has become such a part of the system it would be hard to transition, but I wish we would.  A person should at least be able to opt out of SS.  Have a choice if they want to trust the government to provide for them when they retire or trust themselves.

The last thing I want to see is another government mandated program telling me to buy something or face penalties.

#13    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostRazer, on 28 August 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

I don't like social securty either.  I would rather make my own retirement choices with that money.  Unfortunately it has become such a part of the system it would be hard to transition, but I wish we would.  A person should at least be able to opt out of SS.  Have a choice if they want to trust the government to provide for them when they retire or trust themselves.

What makes me mad, is not only do you have no choice but to pay into it, it's not gonna be there, when you need it. Social Security is going to run dry by 2033, if not sooner...

Link: http://wallstcheatsh...html/?a=viewall

The longer expected lifespan of Medicare’s trust fund means that benefits will not have to be reduced as quickly as previously thought. However, in their annual
report, the trustees who oversee Social Security said that reserves for the fund that pays disability benefits would be exhausted by 2016, and all Social Security reserves, including the fund that pays retirement benefits, would run out by 2033.

Another link: http://www.cbsnews.c...un-out-in-2026/

#14    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• 1,569 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

View PostKowalski, on 28 August 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

What makes me mad, is not only do you have no choice but to pay into it, it's not gonna be there, when you need it. Social Security is going to run dry by 2033, if not sooner...

Yeah, that makes me mad as well.  Being forced to pay into a system that will likely not be there in it's current form when I retire is just wrong.

#15    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:27 AM

Social security and car insurance are sad comparisons to this disaster.

If the prez was all that concerned about the healthcare of others, he would have done something different....guaranteed payment of hospital and/or emergency room bills ....or just going ahead and pushing for socialized medicine as Canada or UK have....no, there is no "care" about your "healthcare"...Oops....there is no profit for big Pharma or the mega corporations this way...can't have that.

All this does is prop up and industry and in turn back up Wall Street....you know that all insurance companies are backed by securities on Wall Street don't you?....this is Crony Capitalism....we have " to buy" something and that assures profits for many not even in the picture.....a scam.

I don't get why folks cannot see past the hype and realize what this is...it is guaranteed income to a specific industry and it's affiliates.....if you do not see this....oh well....."there are none so blind as those that will not see"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Jeremiah65, 29 August 2013 - 04:31 AM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users