Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is this photo proof of big cat in Tamworth

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

An anonymous reader from Main Road, Austrey, sent in this photo which they say was taken between Little Orton and Austrey at around 4.30pm on Sunday August 18.

The reader said: “At first I thought it was a black dog, sitting waiting for its owner. However, when I got closer, I looked more closely at the animal and I soon found myself in a state of shock!

“The panther, which is what I presume the animal is, was sitting in the corner of the field, looking directly into the corn and seemed focused on something within it. I can only presume that this was a rabbit as the fields seemed to be full of them in one part of my walk.”

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,133 posts

• Oops.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

An anonymous reader from Main Road, Austrey, sent in this photo which they say was taken between Little Orton and Austrey at around 4.30pm on Sunday August 18.

So somebody sent in a photo which may have been taken anywhere of an animal that looks as much like a large dog as a big cat, in my opinion.
Did the original have enough of the area in it to be recognizable?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#3    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

It's a really bad photoshopped picture. A blind man can see it a fake with a cane.

Goes to show how the quality of journalism has fallen.

#4    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,203 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Well I'm convinced!

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#5    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

My cousin did animation for the movie Dragonheart. He's got awesome pictures of a dragon....

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#6    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

Doesn't do it for me.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#7    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

I thought it looked obviously faked also.

But at least this is a start, something I've been advocating for years with cryptids: (bolding and underlining mine)

He said: “I told you so - there are big cats out there! But it is difficult to tell whether this photograph and this sighting is genuine without cross-examining the person who took it – I would love to hear from them.”

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#8    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 29 August 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

I thought it looked obviously faked also.

But at least this is a start, something I've been advocating for years with cryptids: (bolding and underlining mine)

He said: “I told you so - there are big cats out there! But it is difficult to tell whether this photograph and this sighting is genuine without cross-examining the person who took it – I would love to hear from them.”

To be honest, if anything, it looks like the big cat toys, the ones we have seen in multiple faked photos in recent years.

Posted Image

#9    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Gorgeous and mysterious animals the black big cats: leopard, cougar, jaguar
They tend to be nocturnal. The perfect nightstalker, imo
But I guess if you believe  big cats are about in England,  the cooler English climate could change their hunting to diurnal, as well as the habits of their (not natural) prey.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#10    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

thats bad

#11    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

I've seen less fake-looking cats on Broadway.

#12    Mythical Legend

Mythical Legend

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 204 posts

• Please...enlighten me...

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:09 AM

Quoting the article

“Luckily my camera is equipped with a zoom lens, so the image taken is a lot closer than I actually was. In terms of distance, I was about three times away from the animal, from the point of the image in the actual photograph. “

This sounds to me like it was shot with a point&shoot, and judging by the resolution is the cropped pic kinda confirms that.

Also, if he was only at 3X zoom to get that shot, that's still pretty close for comfort.

The ears of the "cat" also appear to be down which is typically a sign of a threatened kitty.

One last note, i grew up around mountain lions and bobcats, never known one to sit at the edge of tall grass and eyeball its prey.

Agree with the general consensus, fake.

#13    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Pooseycat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 29 August 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

It's a really bad photoshopped picture. A blind man can see it a fake with a cane.

I'm shocked, shocked at the cynicism here on UM. Clearly, this is a spirit panther and the pale fringe around it is its aura. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users