Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Lowest temperature for life discovered

lowest temperature life organisms single-celled

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,344 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

The study, published in PLoS One, reveals that below -20°C, single-celled organisms dehydrate, sending them into a vitrified – glass-like – state during which they are unable to complete their life cycle.

The researchers propose that, since the organisms cannot reproduce below this temperature, -20°C is the lowest temperature limit for life on Earth.

http://planetearth.n...cookieConsent=A

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,261 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

"Scientists placed single-celled organisms in a watery medium, and lowered the temperature." Maybe they one day can expand this technology to replace to polar regions which are melting.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

• "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    -Buddha

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 29 August 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

"Scientists placed single-celled organisms in a watery medium, and lowered the temperature." Maybe they one day can expand this technology to replace to polar regions which are melting.

What? That does not make any sense lol

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,261 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

View PostEinsteinium, on 29 August 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

What? That does not make any sense lol
Don`t expect me to get technical on this one, this is wayyyyy over my head.
But I meant maybe they can rebuild the ice caps which are melting by expanding on this technology thing they have in the future. I know what I mean and know there is logic in there somewhere.
Posted Image

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#5    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

placed in a watery medium, and lowered the temperature

What technology? This is like pouring a glass of water and putting it in your fridge. I doubt refrigeration is going to replace the polar ice caps. :huh:

I suppose this is interesting, but I'm not sure how it could actually help anything.

Embrace the impossible.

#6    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

• "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    -Buddha

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 29 August 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

Don`t expect me to get technical on this one, this is wayyyyy over my head.
But I meant maybe they can rebuild the ice caps which are melting by expanding on this technology thing they have in the future. I know what I mean and know there is logic in there somewhere.
Posted Image

Way over your head? All they did was take these organisms and put them in a highly accurate fridge, cool them down and measure what happens to their metabolic processes. There is no new technology here. Has nothing to do with a new way to cool things down, and furthermore a fridge takes heat out of what is inside, and transfers that heat to the external environment. You cannot cool something down without transferring the heat to something else, so in order to cool down the arctic you would have to warm some other region of the world. The task would be extremely unfeasible and have crazy unforeseen consequences that would likely make the effect of CO2 on world temperatures look like child's play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users