Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How much personal space people need

personal space tense crowded buses close talkers

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,877 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

Close talkers, crowded buses: everybody needs a certain amount of personal space. A new study announced Monday reveals exactly how much most of us need, and finds that anxious people need a bit more.

University College London researchers say that generally most people need a boundary from around 20 to 40 centimeters in front of their face before becoming tense.

http://www.ctvnews.c...mfort-1.1430452

Posted Image

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,668 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

100 yards I need.  lol

#3    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

20 to 40 cm before they come tense?

Make that at least a metre for me....I'd rather walk than to travel on a bus or train like sardines...used to do that lots in London and I ended up walking to and from work.
I like to choose who can lean on me, thank you very much!
lol

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#4    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,839 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

40 cm's (16inches) rubbish you can smell their horrible breath,or that their hair hasn't been washed for a week, or worse. YUK. If I swing my arm around and it connects to a nose they are too close. (this hasn't happened),but I'm increasing my borders all round to 3ft 6inches from today,because my arm is 3ft long.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#5    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 29 August 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

40 cm's (16inches) rubbish you can smell their horrible breath,or that their hair hasn't been washed for a week, or worse. YUK. If I swing my arm around and it connects to a nose they are too close. (this hasn't happened),but I'm increasing my borders all round to 3ft 6inches from today,because my arm is 3ft long.

Exactly that....the breath....the smells....but the worst was the touching and being squashed between people you don't know....yuk is an uderstatement! lol

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#6    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

I have real issues with personal space. I don't do socializing, (crowds). No restaurants, pubs, towns, citys, theme parks, weddings, funerals, etc or any place where their are lots of people I am not aware of.

I choose my place to be if I go into a pub and frequently move around if my comfort zone is being compromised.

My list is endless, You can count on one hand how many pubs I will venture into and even then I never relax, even the ones in my village.

I am an odd ball and my family have put up with so much with me being anti-social.

Posted Image

#7    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,839 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostAggie, on 29 August 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

Exactly that....the breath....the smells....but the worst was the touching and being squashed between people you don't know....yuk is an uderstatement! lol
   Put me down,you don't know where I've been. Haha.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#8    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

View Postxsas, on 29 August 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

I have real issues with personal space. I don't do socializing, (crowds). No restaurants, pubs, towns, citys, theme parks, weddings, funerals, etc or any place where their are lots of people I am not aware of.

I choose my place to be if I go into a pub and frequently move around if my comfort zone is being compromised.

My list is endless, You can count on one hand how many pubs I will venture into and even then I never relax, even the ones in my village.

I am an odd ball and my family have put up with so much with me being anti-social.

I'm the same, I feel like suffocating in big crowds but I always thought it was because I'm a very small woman (5'1).

Funny thing is, the older I get, the more I need to get away from people!
ha ha ha

#9    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

Yep, don't like crowds. The only people ok in my space are those I know very well, like family and close friends. I can't live in apartment buildings. Too many people around me. I have a house with three bedrooms, a bit of land, and that's just enough space for me, and me alone. I'm glad I work at home, with only the occasional train trip to the home office. Call me a recluse if you like--I'm fine with it.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#10    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

View Postbrlesq1, on 29 August 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

Yep, don't like crowds. The only people ok in my space are those I know very well, like family and close friends. I can't live in apartment buildings. Too many people around me. I have a house with three bedrooms, a bit of land, and that's just enough space for me, and me alone. I'm glad I work at home, with only the occasional train trip to the home office. Call me a recluse if you like--I'm fine with it.

Recluse with good company sounds awesome!
:yes:

#11    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,680 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

Arms length, and considering my arms are about 3 ft. long, yeah.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#12    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

I'm  not sure if it's the fact that i'm a germaphobe, or i'm super anxious...but I need my space.
If I know what kind of perfume/cologne you wear, you're too close.
If I can see that you need to re-dye your roots, you're too close.
If I can see that you're texting your wife that you're at the grocery store, when really you're in a bar, you're a slime and you're too close.
Etc. etc. etc.

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#13    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,539 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:12 AM

I like my space, too. I have a neighbor who likes to talk to me from about ten feet away.  When I talk to my next door neighbor sometimes I stand too close, and I can feel the discomfort in both of us. It's interesting. Sometimes I do this just to watch him keep backing up away from me.

Then again, I like insulting people in small ways and watch their reaction. Like, "Where did you get those funny shoes?". If they get angry, they're one kind of person, if they laugh at themselves, we usually get along pretty well after that.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#14    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,571 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:36 AM

Depends on the culture, I would think.

#15    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,767 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:32 AM

I like to be at least arms length from most people. You will never catch me in a booth, sitting next to the wall, where I can't get out quickly in an emergency. It's a combination of being claustrophobic and growing up in a redneck bar. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users