Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Being Liable for Texting a Driver

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

"Is it now illegal to text someone who is driving? No, not yet. The criminal laws on this issue haven't changed in New Jersey or elsewhere. But the New Jersey judges appear to be saying that texting someone who is driving could make you liable to a civil lawsuit, based on existing laws against distracting a driver."

"I could envision a situation where an exchange goes back and forth and the driver explicitly says 'I'm driving' and you have someone who says, 'This needs to be answered right now. This is an emergency. It can't wait.'"

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t2

It is the driver's responsibility, 100%, in my opinion.

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,500 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

See the advantage of texts is ... you can answer them whenever you want. Unlike the phone which is screaming "pay attention to me! pay attention to me!" a text will go bip bip (or whatever), make less noise then the radio, or the wind coming in the windows or even a particularly loud fart.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

The beauty of texting is that each particpant gets back to the other at their own convenience. If you are texting someone that you KNOW is driving, then expect to be ignored. If it's a real emergency, and it's legal to use your cell phone while driving, then call that person.

Edit: Looks like Sir Wearer of Hats and I had pretty much the same thoughts on this. Apologies for redundancy.

Edited by PlanB, 29 August 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#4    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,683 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:41 PM

How are you going to be liable when you text someone and don't know they're driving?

This is asinine.

It's different when you know someone is driving of course, but they better not not implicate someone who doesn't even know the person they were texting was driving in a civil lawsuit.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi, 29 August 2013 - 11:44 PM.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#5    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

I still think it shouldn't matter if you think/know the person is driving and text them.
I can't send the grocery list while H is driving to the store? Or, text directions to the restaurant we're meeting at? Etc etc
There are a lot of distractions to drivers. Driving is a responsibility and with it comes responsible behavior on the part of the driver.

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,421 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

I absolutely don't think you should be liable for texting someone that is driving.  Its up to the driver to answer it or not.  Besides most of the time you will have no idea what they are doing.

#7    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,113 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:20 AM

Why should the texter be liable for what the textie does? The person who is driving and recieves a text made the choice to answer while driving. That is completely out of the hands of the person who wrote the text.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#8    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,601 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:44 AM

"The defendant made me look at my phone by texting me!" is never going to hold up in court.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#9    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,684 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

That'll never fly in court.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#10    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,629 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Well, at least we know they're working on the important stuff, as usual.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#11    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 29 August 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

a text will go bip bip (or whatever), make less noise then the radio, or the wind coming in the windows or even a particularly loud fart.

I have verified this. It is true.

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#12    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Texting with intent definitely a felony crime.

Then the lawyers can argue whether it was a premeditated text or if you texted in the heat of passion.

I can just see the jail cells now...

"What are you in for, Bubba?"   -- "I murdered and ate my mailman 'cause he forgot my subscription to Better Homes & Gardens."
"What are you in for, kid?" -- lol i txt my bff n she died #yolo

Embrace the impossible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users