Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Man fell to his death in freak accident

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    billyf

billyf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

• "I think that god in creating man somewhat over estimated his ability." Oscar Wilde

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:06 AM

i feel bad for this guy and i dont want to seem insensitive, but,umm...really? http://www.dailymail...using-rope.html

so long and thanks for all the fish

#2    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• this user is both more and less wrathful and more and less clever than he seems

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:16 AM

the pulley, a simple machine.  or is it...?

#3    Bloodflower

Bloodflower

Poltergeist

• 2,473 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

Where was the logic?

"When a wolf doesn't want to do something, they look really cute!"
Michelle Paver

#4    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• this user is both more and less wrathful and more and less clever than he seems

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostRogue Suga, on 30 August 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

Where was the logic?

if a person uses a complex pulley they totally can raise or lower weights far in excess of their own.  if they use a simple pulley, well, apparently they get yanked over a balcony and splattered on the ground.  linked image shows simple straight pulley to complex mechanical advantage pulley, left to right: http://upload.wikime...our_pulleys.svg

edit: basically what that picture says is either you have do lift/lower the straight weight OR lift lower a lot more rope with a lot less weight on it

Edited by cacoseraph, 30 August 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#5    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

That is crazy, why didn't he let go of the rope?

#6    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Silly man.....he sounded like a nice guy. May he rest in peace♥

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#7    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

View Posts33ker, on 30 August 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

That is crazy, why didn't he let go of the rope?

when you are doing heavy lifting work via a rope you basically have two choices... 1) do i just use my hand strength or 2) do i cinch the rope around my hands to have a superhuman grip?  from a safety and logic standpoint one must clearly just hold onto the rope allowing for a quick release in the case of disaster.  from an idiot standpoint, sometimes folks wrap the rope around their hands and eliminate bailing out with things go pear shaped as an option.  sorta clear what happened in this case =P

#8    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

View Postcacoseraph, on 30 August 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

when you are doing heavy lifting work via a rope you basically have two choices... 1) do i just use my hand strength or 2) do i cinch the rope around my hands to have a superhuman grip?  from a safety and logic standpoint one must clearly just hold onto the rope allowing for a quick release in the case of disaster.  from an idiot standpoint, sometimes folks wrap the rope around their hands and eliminate bailing out with things go pear shaped as an option.  sorta clear what happened in this case =P

i have seen this first hand (heh) by the way.  when my dad and step mom had me and my sibs doing crazy agriculture work it came up that we had to top (cut the top off of) a tall pine tree.  my at the time 16-17yo step brother went up the tree with a chain saw while my stupid dad, stupid step mom, myself (15-16yo) and a few of my younger sibs held onto a rope to control the descent of the top of the tree after stepbro cut it.  well, he did his job and instantly things got crazy.  the top he cut had to have weighed at least 3000lbs.  my stupid dad was serving as anchor and the rest of us were between him and the top of the tree.  when the top went into free fall the weaker people were instantly left behind from the falling rope.  myself and my brother held on to a great enough extent we were lifted around 5' off the ground as the rope ripped upwards.  my stupid dad cinched has hands so he almost instantly was moving as fast as the rope (around freefall for a 3000lb tree top in standard atmosphere and gravity) and proceeded to bowl through the rest of us.  one of the more interesting and hectic moments of my young life, for sure!  he totally almost broke his hand.  bruises and contusions for the rest of us.  i basically broke the gloves i was wearing.  so freaking ill planned!

Edited by cacoseraph, 30 August 2013 - 11:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users