Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Feds won't sue to stop pot sales in Co and Wa

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,053 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:42 AM

WASHINGTON (AP) - Despite 75 years of federal marijuana prohibition, the Justice Department said Thursday that states can let people use the drug, license people to grow it and even allow adults to stroll into stores and buy it - as long as the weed is kept away from kids, the black market and federal property.

In a sweeping new policy statement prompted by pot legalization votes in Washington and Colorado last fall, the department gave the green light to states to adopt tight regulatory schemes to oversee the medical and recreational marijuana industries burgeoning across the country.

http://www.komonews....-221669541.html

I don't partake in any kind of cannabis use, however, I did vote for legalization in Washington State, and I like to keep a close watch as to what is developing in regards to legalization in Wa and Co. It's been pretty fascinating to see unfold! I think we're going to see more states follow suit ... sooner rather than later.

Edited by MissMelsWell, 30 August 2013 - 05:43 AM.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#2    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

Certainly is good (and surprising) news. And I agree MMW that other states will move quickly.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#3    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,053 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

I think the next to legalize, and possibly before the year is out, will be New Mexico. It's possible it could be Oregon or California, but for some reason, I think it could be NM.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#4    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,097 posts

• ראה

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

It's always amazed me how the feds have no problem with gassing everyone on earth with fossil fuels, but don't want people lighting up something that might make them thankful for the earth's blessings.

I wonder, when there are several hundred million dead due to climate change, and there's no place to bury them, if they'll make fossil fuels illegal?

The stench will be so great that you'll need pot just to think straight.

Posted Image "In the last days perilous times will come, for men shall have a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof."
2 Tim 3

#5    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 14,716 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:36 AM

Maybe this is a step towards states getting back some power?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#6    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,053 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 30 August 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

Maybe this is a step towards states getting back some power?

Possibly... It's too early to tell yet I think.

I read an interesting news story the other day though, I'll have to find it again and post it. But since the decriminalization of marijuana in Seattle back in 2002 (or rather least priority arrest and prosecution ordinances... it was never formally decriminalized in Seattle, but no cop would arrest anyone and the DA refused to prosecute possession cases under an ounce) ... the number of marijuana users has gone down since 2002, but the visibility of users has gone up. That was all rather anecdotally expected, it's just kind of interesting to see it happen for real.

#7    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,057 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

After  about 70 years of fear mongering reefer madness.... i think the federal government is RE conditioning people's mindsets on  MJ ... paving the way for  INDUSTRIALIZATION and  BIG PHARMA  control  of it.  It will be instigated as  a  "PUBLIC SAFETY"  measure...  and the profit$ will be IMMENSE!

*  there will still be a black market...   by underselling the government sanctioned stuff.

Edited by lightly, 30 August 2013 - 12:02 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#8    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• this user is both more and less wrathful and more and less clever than he seems

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

that flies in the face of SOOOO many dispensary busts by federal agents over the last few years.   it would probably be for the good if it is true, but the evidence i have seen doesn't bear it out

#9    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 14,659 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

In a country where adults can buy whiskey and cigarettes it seems odd that cannabis has been completely illegal. Just my opinion.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#10    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,057 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

View Postcacoseraph, on 30 August 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

that flies in the face of SOOOO many dispensary busts by federal agents over the last few years.   it would probably be for the good if it is true, but the evidence i have seen doesn't bear it out

True,  but it think the potential profits will finally win out.. and the production and sales will , eventually, become federally controlled.  Public safety will most likely be touted as the  reason for taking control of 'production'? ...  but of course the real reason will be to serve corporate interests?   i could be wrong, but i see it heading that way.

* allowing  the whole 'medical marijuana'  thing at all ..  really surprised me,  but what better way to change public opinion?

Edited by lightly, 30 August 2013 - 01:51 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#11    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Telekinetic

• 7,317 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

I am very pleasantly surprised by the actions of Obama and Holder!  :tu:

#12    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Psychic Spy

• 1,596 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

This is good news for individual states rights.  These issues need to be decided by the states and their citizens, not by the Bully Federal Gov.  If a state wants this and their citizens say yes...that is all that should be done.  The Fed's should have no place in over ruling a states choices if their citizens have spoken.

I hope more states see this and move on it as they see fit.  Not only on the MJ issue but other things as well.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#13    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,331 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostLilly, on 30 August 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

In a country where adults can buy whiskey and cigarettes it seems odd that cannabis has been completely illegal. Just my opinion.

I believe that is why so many non-pot users are voting pro-pot: the federal logic just doesn't make sense when much more harmful products are available and completely legal. In fact, the harmful effects of marijuana are miles behind it's closest comparable drug and I think that shows when you listen to the FDA talk about it's "dangers". (They just keep parroting the same tired old statements. "Gateway drug" and "mood swings")

For a good laugh this morning, here's a great recording of a 911 call made a Police Officer! Apparently he had been keeping all the marijuana he confiscated and used it to make pot brownies. Him and his wife mowed down a batch and he starts having a panic attack so he calls 911! Too funny :yes:

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#14    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,510 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

View Postlightly, on 30 August 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

After  about 70 years of fear mongering reefer madness.... i think the federal government is RE conditioning people's mindsets on  MJ ... paving the way for  INDUSTRIALIZATION and  BIG PHARMA  control  of it.  It will be instigated as  a  "PUBLIC SAFETY"  measure...  and the profit$ will be IMMENSE!

*  there will still be a black market...   by underselling the government sanctioned stuff.

Bingo!! Good observation Lightly!! It is exactly what is happening. The $$ is just too attractive and current policy costly and ineffective. I´like the idea of individual states choosing and the FED keeping their nose out of it. However, they are going to want a piece too.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#15    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 30 August 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

For a good laugh this morning, here's a great recording of a 911 call made a Police Officer! Apparently he had been keeping all the marijuana he confiscated and used it to make pot brownies. Him and his wife mowed down a batch and he starts having a panic attack so he calls 911! Too funny :yes:

Oh my God, LMAO! :)

I'm surprised he didn't go, "I'm tripping balls man, tripping balls!" LOL....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users