Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Britain's largest horse

sovereign horse paul evans

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,764 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

The main challenge when it comes to riding Sovereign is not the riding bit. It is the simple business of clinging on.

For Sovereign is not just Europe’s tallest horse. He also has no saddle. ‘We did have one once,’ says Sovereign’s owner, Paul Evans. ‘But then he just got too big around the girth and it didn’t fit any more.’

Oh great. I am about to ride bareback  on something the size of an entry-level elephant. At that height, I am going to need a parachute rather than a helmet.

http://www.dailymail...^editors_choice

Posted Image

#2    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

D***...that's what I call a HORSE. Looks so gentle and sweet. But why doesn't the owner just get a custom-made saddle? I suppose it's less expensive just to hitch Sovereign up to a wagon and let him roll.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#3    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 5,490 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

Wow! And "rescued"! I like that!

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#4    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Convoi exceptionnel

• 26,099 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

He is a very handsome fellow. How many people, though, even try to ride a Shire horse? That's not really what they're designed for.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#5    rodentraiser

rodentraiser

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 371 posts

• "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

from Wrong Planet Forums

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

Actually, I think they were bred for riding. The horses were bred large so they could carry all the armor they and the knights wore back in whenever. In fact, some king, (the name escapes me right now), wanted nothing but large horses, so he tried to destroy all the smaller horses and ponies around at that time.

Posted Image

I’m sick of voting for the lesser of two evils. The lesser of two evils is still evil. And almost always the lesser of two evils is our only choice.

We have been voting for the lesser of two evils for decade upon decade and look where it’s gotten us.     Coleman Luck

#6    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,579 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

View Postrodentraiser, on 06 September 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

Actually, I think they were bred for riding. The horses were bred large so they could carry all the armor they and the knights wore back in whenever. In fact, some king, (the name escapes me right now), wanted nothing but large horses, so he tried to destroy all the smaller horses and ponies around at that time.

View Postrodentraiser, on 06 September 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

source

#7    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

Whoa!  Now that's a big boy!

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#8    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Convoi exceptionnel

• 26,099 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 08 September 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

source
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destrier was what they were called. They needed to have a bit more of a turn of speed than a Shire would capable of. Modern attempts to reproduce the destrier type, I find, usually involve crossing an athletic riding horse with a light draft type. These includes crossbreds such as the "Spanish-Norman", a cross between the Percheron and the Andalusian[12] and the Warlander a cross between the Andalusian and the Friesian horse.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users