Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Ancient Aliens

aliens ancient

• Please log in to reply
1867 replies to this topic

#46    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 7,452 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

View PostThe_Spartan, on 04 September 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

SuperSoylent is/was a member of UM. Great videos.

yeh I remember and he had a great take/pov of the show too!

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#47    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 7,452 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostMaars, on 04 September 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Herewith my previous response on a similar topic around the authors behind the series etc:

"I will not rely that much on Von Daniken. He seems to have been a fraud from an early age and seemingly admiitted in lying in his books -

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Von_Daniken

Some interesting film you may want to see:-

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com  "

some choice quotes on V-D   :lol:

"The ideas put forth in his books are largely rejected by scientists and academics, who categorize his work as pseudohistory and pseudoarchaeology".

At the age of 19, von Däniken was given a four-month suspended sentence for theft.[6] Von Däniken withdrew from school, and became apprenticed to a Swiss hotelier.[7] After moving to Egypt, he was convicted for fraud and embezzlement.[6]

Von Däniken wrote his first book while working as manager of the Hotel Rosenhügel in Davos, Switzerland. He was convicted of several financial crimes, including fraud, shortly after its publication.[4] The revenue from the sales of his book allowed him to repay his debts and leave the hotel business. Von Däniken wrote his second book, Gods from Outer Space, while in prison.

Previous to von Däniken's work, other authors had presented ideas of extraterrestrial contacts. Von Däniken failed to credit properly or at all, these authors, even when making the same claims using similar or identical evidence.

http://en.wikipedia....ch_von_Däniken

Just another mumbo jumbo merchant

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#48    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,494 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

View Postseeder, on 04 September 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Previous to von Däniken's work, other authors had presented ideas of extraterrestrial contacts. Von Däniken failed to credit properly or at all, these authors, even when making the same claims using similar or identical evidence.

Otherwise also know as the quack quotes quack carousel.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#49    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,561 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 04 September 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

Otherwise also know as the quack quotes quack carousel.

...hey now, last time I saw recent footage of him, he had a clearing adoring (and hot) boyfriend some decades younger than him. He's not doing everything wrong.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#50    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 3,647 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

The thing that get me is he sold 64,000,000,copies. That just blows me away

#51    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 04 September 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

He is still baby comparing to Jules Verne. Im mean they are in similar category. Only Verne is demigod for him.

Big Bad Voodoo

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#52    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 3,647 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 04 September 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

He is still baby comparing to Jules Verne. Im mean they are in similar category. Only Verne is demigod for him.

Big Bad Voodoo
But Verne never tried to claim his stories were true. Stephen King sold a lot of books but that's not the same thing

#53    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 04 September 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

But Verne never tried to claim his stories were true. Stephen King sold a lot of books but that's not the same thing

Never claimed but they become true. :w00t:
On another hand maybe Eric is literatures blair witch project.

Big Bad Voodoo

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#54    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 3,647 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 04 September 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

Never claimed but they become true. :w00t:
On another hand maybe Eric is literatures blair witch project.

Big Bad Voodoo
Now that I might agree with or maybe any news report by Fox News

#55    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,277 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:08 PM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 04 September 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

It's like I usually say about von Däniken's book sales: Fewer people have contributed so strongly to human stupidity.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#56    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,020 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:33 PM

View Postwillowdreams, on 04 September 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

Here is what I want to know; The life and times of Van Daniken are riddled with illegal activity. He lies so badly, and we know it is badly, because we can google and find the facts in less than a minute after hitting send to see where he knowingly lies

These are facts about him

It is fact that his teachings/writings on ancient aliens is a lie

SO why is it that people who are smart, capable of researching online and finding the facts in less time then it takes to have a bowel movement, still believe him? Take him as fact and defend him?

THAT is what I find confusing. I understand kids/teens and those who are not afraid to show people that they do not want facts to get in the way of their delusional beliefs, but adults capable of thinking and researching who claim to want to know the truth?

What's up with that?
One important fact you have omitted here is that EVD was once confronted with proof of his own actual fraud - he had hired a potter to create a plate with a pic of a UFO and a grey alien on it which, in one of his books, he claimed had been found at some ancient site during an archaeological dig.

The good people at the BBC Horizon program located and interviewed the potter and confronted EVD with the evidence.

EVD admitted to the fraud and, as an excuse, stated that without some sort of hard evidence, people wouldn't believe his claims.

It's an old program.  I saw it on NOVA.  You can see it on youtube.  It's an hour long.

View Postquestionmark, on 04 September 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

Most people rather die than think: many do. Bertram Russel.

Get your own sig.  Stop glomming onto mine! :devil:

Harte

Edited by Harte, 04 September 2013 - 11:35 PM.

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#57    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,037 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

View Postseeder, on 04 September 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

http://en.wikipedia....ch_von_Däniken

Just another mumbo jumbo merchant

Henri Lhote (1903–1991) was a French author, explorer, ethnographer, and "expert on prehistoric cave art" who described and is credited for the discovery of "important cave paintings" in an "assembly of 800 or more magnificent works of primitive art...in a virtually inaccessible region on the edge of the Sahara desert" Lhote was an early ancient astronaut theorist and considered the prehistoric art as evidence of paleocontact.

-

The popular press gave much attention to Lhote's hypothesis of a prehistoric close encounter and it was later incorporated into the '"sensationalist claims" made by Erich von Däniken that ancient extraterrestrial astronauts visited prehistoric Earth.

-

The value of Lhote's scholarship was also challenged by The Journal of North African Studies, an academic journal affiliated with the University of East Anglia:

http://www.unexplain...45#entry4459083

#58    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,561 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:14 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 04 September 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

It's like I usually say about von Däniken's book sales: Fewer people have contributed so strongly to human stupidity.

Or as I say, Daniken has saved the world from ever being short of toilet paper.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#59    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 3,647 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:20 AM

View PostHarte, on 04 September 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

One important fact you have omitted here is that EVD was once confronted with proof of his own actual fraud - he had hired a potter to create a plate with a pic of a UFO and a grey alien on it which, in one of his books, he claimed had been found at some ancient site during an archaeological dig.

The good people at the BBC Horizon program located and interviewed the potter and confronted EVD with the evidence.

EVD admitted to the fraud and, as an excuse, stated that without some sort of hard evidence, people wouldn't believe his claims.

It's an old program.  I saw it on NOVA.  You can see it on youtube.  It's an hour long.

Get your own sig.  Stop glomming onto mine! :devil:

Harte
If you have no hard evidence just manufacture some, that's rich. My favorite was the Nazca lines where he claimed one pic showed what looked like an airport taxi way and parking area until you look at the same spot in perspective and realize the proposed aliens would have to have been pretty tiny

Edited by spacecowboy342, 05 September 2013 - 01:24 AM.

#60    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 3,647 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 04 September 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

Reminds me of that quote from Einstein about two things being infinite, the universe and human stupidity and he wasn't sure about the universe

Also tagged with aliens, ancient

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users