Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Inside the New Mission Control

mission control houston space shuttle orion nasa

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,115 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

Take a Peek Inside the New Mission Control Houston

Mission Control team member Bill Foster talks with NASA Public Affairs Officer Josh Byerly about the enhancements and changes being made to Mission Control Houston. The former control room for the space shuttle has been undergoing a remodel to prepare it for the Orion flights, and it has a new look and feel. Foster talks about the upgrades and what's ahead for the space station control room as well.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• this user is both more and less wrathful and more and less clever than he seems

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

Nice!  Those are some sexy control rooms!  I got to be part of a satellite launch in the early 2000's and we had a little baby version of what you see here.  It is interesting to hear the little bit of discussion about the behind the scenes decisions as they totally mirror my experiences.  I was basically one of the lowest totem pole jobs possible.  I had like, one primary responsibility and a couple back up jobs.   My primary duty was to record numbers off a computer monitor onto a work sheet and then deliver it to a superior.  That was... well, I mean, on the one hand it was totally cool!  I got to work with a team of PhD's and government dudes on a satellite we had just flung into space!  But, on the other hand, seriously... I just copied numbers from a screen onto a sheet of paper every half hour and gave them to an engineer =P

One of my back up jobs was way cooler, but I only ever got to practice it.  If, like, we fell under a nuclear attack while the satellite launch was ongoing and like, ALL these dudes got wiped, I would have been responsible for actually typing commands into a computer to transmit to a satellite!  And in fact, during one of my practice sessions I got to command a sort of B-string satellite one time!  I got to tell it to run a diagnostic.  Sad as it might sound, that is one of the highlights of my geek life =P

Oh, and for the record, and as BS as it sounds, I can't identify what program or satellites I worked for.  Believe me or not, I don't care.  That is how things work in that world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users