Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Can a Severed Head Live On?

severed heads

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,105 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:42 AM

I agree though in the case of decapitation the blood loss would be extremely rapid and I think could cause shock

#17    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• this user is both more and less wrathful and more and less clever than he seems

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:03 AM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 03 September 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

I agree though in the case of decapitation the blood loss would be extremely rapid and I think could cause shock

*ahem* I would say they are strong cadidates for hypovolemic shock, yes.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_(circulatory)#Hypovolemic

But seriously, it's not like I think a decap could do higher math or quote Voltaire or anything like that.  I think they have just enough coherent, conscious brain function to realize something really, really bad just happened and maybe have a few deep seated regrets float to the top of their mental stack.

A lot of the claims for why they couldn't seemed more based on a long term event when you still have a body attached.  What I am saying is that each cell in the brain has a little tiny bit of oxygen in it, just enough to keep working the way it should for maybe a few seconds up to maybe a minute or three.  I think during that brief window a person can have no head (actually, i guess no body would be more accurate) and still be able to think in some form or another.  Now, is that thinking going to be AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IIIII HUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!  or something, you know, deeper?  Couldn't tell you.  But the old chop doesn't turn a person's brain off like a light switch, for sure!  Heck, there is still electrical activity even after the cells are effectively deoxygenated.  What does that mean?  Probably no rational, coherent thoughts... but does that let the sense of self and some sort of sensorium still exist?  I wouldn't want to conclusively say no.

#18    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,153 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:05 AM

I'm able to pass out just by lying still for awhile and then jumping up and running upstairs.  I think that's kinda why I think blood pressure is so important in maintaining consciousness.  Keep in mind I'm 70m and Asian and obese and take water pills.

#19    ZOD

ZOD

Future Leader of Earth

• 4,838 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 03 September 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

Keep in mind I'm 70m and Asian

Right, but thats like 35 for most people

Battle isn't wordplay.  It's skill and precision.  Get it? I'm better.

#20    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,105 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:12 AM

I concede your point as I have no better info and am just guessing. Kind of freaks me out though the thought of being decapitated and living for a while to ponder your fate

#21    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,153 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:15 AM

Well I suppose most people are aware of what has happened when a bullet smashes into their chest, but I don't think they have enough time to come to believe it.  When it gets tough is when you are dying slowly from something.

#22    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,105 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:25 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 03 September 2013 - 01:15 AM, said:

Well I suppose most people are aware of what has happened when a bullet smashes into their chest, but I don't think they have enough time to come to believe it.  When it gets tough is when you are dying slowly from something.
Yeah one to the liver when you were unable to get help would be bad

#23    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• this user is both more and less wrathful and more and less clever than he seems

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:47 AM

I'm able to pass out just by lying still for awhile and then jumping up and running upstairs.  I think that's kinda why I think blood pressure is so important in maintaining consciousness.  Keep in mind I'm 70m and Asian and obese and take water pills.

For sure.  But even that is not an instantaneous process, usually.  I think for low blood pressure induced unconsciousness you still have at least a few seconds up to a good 10-20 seconds to realize you are going to go down unless you don't sit/lay down.

edit:

Also, look at you being all venerable and stuff. =P

Edited by cacoseraph, 03 September 2013 - 01:48 AM.

#24    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,153 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:59 AM

I'm not a monk but I look like one except for the suit.

#25    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 03 September 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

I'm not a monk but I look like one except for the suit.

How do you look in orange?  I might have to get you a christmas present =P

#26    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

Interesting topic. I suppose a human trial would be too much to expect... :w00t:

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#27    ZOD

ZOD

Future Leader of Earth

• 4,838 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

Get a volunteer from death row.

Battle isn't wordplay.  It's skill and precision.  Get it? I'm better.

#28    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,153 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

View Postcacoseraph, on 03 September 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

How do you look in orange?  I might have to get you a christmas present =P
The official color is "saffron."  I guess "orange" is pretty close.  The other difference is that monks shave their heads; I wouldn't need to.

#29    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,246 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:59 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 02 September 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

The sudden loss of blood pressure would result in instant unconsciousness.
Isn't that mainly due to the shock? Instant is, well.... instant. Is the blood loss instant? Or, might the lowered blood pressure happen in 1 or 1.5 seconds of time?

I'm able to pass out just by lying still for awhile and then jumping up and running upstairs.
And there is almost as much variability amoung people as to their physical attributes as there are people. People with very low blood pressure or very slow heartbeat might take 2+ seconds to pass out after their head was removed.

Edited by DieChecker, 05 September 2013 - 02:59 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#30    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 04 September 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

The official color is "saffron."  I guess "orange" is pretty close.  The other difference is that monks shave their heads; I wouldn't need to.

dude, do you know how expensive saffron is!?  it is one of the record setting natural substances of our day.  adorable and venerable or not, I can't make for that kind of expenditure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users