Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ministers face sack over Syria shambles

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,420 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

The Telegraph said:

At least five Government ministers face the sack in the wake of David Cameron’s humiliating failure to secure parliamentary backing for military strikes against the Syrian regime.

Alan Duncan, David Gauke and Steve Webb failed to return from holiday to support the Government, angering the Prime Minister, according to sources.

Justine Greening, the International Development Secretary, and Mark Simmonds, a junior Foreign Office minister, claim to have not realised that voting had begun as they were in a meeting. Commons officials said the explanation was baffling as it “would have been clear” that a vote was happening.

Read more

So to add insult to injury Cameron is going to play "mental dwarf's revenge"?

Edited by questionmark, 31 August 2013 - 04:15 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,845 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

wELL, I THINK THAT'S FAIR ENOUGH, IF THEY WERe (caps lock still on) if they were supposed to be deciding whether to commit the country to War you might have reasonably expected them to make an effort.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,846 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

If Cameron needed them there, he should've postponed calling a vote until he was sure they would be back, it does seem he rushed straight into judgement.  The UN hasn't come to any conclusion as yet, why is Britain diving in nose first?

Edited by libstaK, 31 August 2013 - 04:53 PM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,420 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 31 August 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

If Cameron needed them there, he should've postponed calling a vote until he was sure they would be back, it does seem he rushed straight into judgement.  The UN hasn't come to any conclusion as yet, why is Britain diving in nose first?

That is called ACTIONISM and all politicians lacking a clear plan for the future fall into that.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 31 August 2013 - 04:15 PM, said:

So to add insult to injury Cameron is going to play "mental dwarf's revenge"?

No, he's firing people who can't be bothered to do the job we pay them for. They have insanely good holidays and pay. If the country needs them to make a decision, they can damn well turn up and miss a couple of days holiday.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#6    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostSetton, on 31 August 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

No, he's firing people who can't be bothered to do the job we pay them for. They have insanely good holidays and pay. If the country needs them to make a decision, they can damn well turn up and miss a couple of days holiday.

No mate it has to be drummed up to look  like the evil politicians of the UK are persecuting the only few good ones left.  

On the other hand they could have just turned up and played democracy and voted no.

As usual the two biggest UK haters on this forum think it is a big deal.  I just feel sorry for them as it can't be nice going through life with such utter bitterness.

Posted Image

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

Cameron should have been able to get the toothless resolution passed; I read that as more of a signal against him than anything else.

#8    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,845 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

View Postskookum, on 31 August 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

No mate it has to be drummed up to look  like the evil politicians of the UK are persecuting the only few good ones left.  

On the other hand they could have just turned up and played democracy and voted no.

As usual the two biggest UK haters on this forum think it is a big deal.  I just feel sorry for them as it can't be nice going through life with such utter bitterness.
Who are they?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#9    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

Mean as Hell

• 2,355 posts

• I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

They're facing the sack for doing the right thing?

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell

- Oscar Wilde

#10    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,477 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

Considering the margin of defeat was 12 votes, it makes no sense to blame these 5 for Cameron's loss. Sure, rebuke them, demote them, whatever for failing to "attend to their duty" - but if Cameron is really looking to fire them, that just smacks of scapegoating.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#11    TSS

TSS

Observer

• 5,652 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostBlack Red Devil, on 31 August 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

They're facing the sack for doing the right thing?

The right thing? what nothing you mean. They are paid to attend parliament to vote on important issues like going to war, if they can't do that then get another job.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

I find the horrible deaths of several hundred children morally so abhorrent that the fact that the whole world is not invading this miserable little place and putting an end to it is the real moral outrage.

#13    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

Mean as Hell

• 2,355 posts

• I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 31 August 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

The right thing? what nothing you mean. They are paid to attend parliament to vote on important issues like going to war, if they can't do that then get another job.

Try a bit of analytical thinking before blasting away with your emotions.  Cameron wants to sack the ministers because he didn't win the vote and he's finding scapegoats.  He lost by 13 so a couple that were away on permission, which had the right to do so, wouldn't have affected the overall result anyway.

31 abstained because his reasons for intervention weren't good enough as explained in the article by one of the ministers.  They probably didn't vote "No" to avoid him the ultimate humiliation, so they abstained.

David Davis, the former shadow home secretary, said Mr Cameron had used a “shaky argument” when he had asked Parliament to “kill people”.
“What he said was that they couldn’t prove it [the case against the Syrian president Bashar al-Assad] outright,” Mr Davis said. “He used the words 'a matter of judgment’ several times, and that’s actually quite a shaky argument when you’re going to kill people.”

The reason Cameron got p..ssed off is because he probably got blasted by the US for the lack of support.  You know, something like "when we tell you to jump, YOU JUMP".

Edited by Black Red Devil, 31 August 2013 - 09:56 PM.

- Oscar Wilde

#14    TSS

TSS

Observer

• 5,652 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

View PostBlack Red Devil, on 31 August 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

Try a bit of analytical thinking before blasting away with your emotions.  Cameron wants to sack the ministers because he didn't win the vote and he's finding scapegoats.  He lost by 13 so a couple that were away on permission, which had the right to do so, wouldn't have affected the overall result anyway.

31 abstained because he's reasons for intervention weren't good enough as explained in the article by one of the ministers.  They probably didn't vote "No" to avoid him the ultimate humiliation, so they abstained.

The reason Cameron got p..ssed off is because he probably got blasted by the US for the lack of support.  You know, something like "when we tell you to jump, YOU JUMP".

Yeah i'm well aware what the result was thanks, I watched the entire debate through both houses.

I don't care if they voted for or against, i'm not bothered either way. My point is they are paid high wages to do a job, and if they can't cut their holidays short or make sure they are in the house on time to vote on something as important as military action then they deserve the sack. Bare in mind that it could have gone the other way by a few votes, and their votes might have stopped military intervention - so don't start singing their praises just because the vote came back as a no.....they deserve the sack for not doing the job they are paid to do.

Edit - spelling

Edited by Sky Scanner, 31 August 2013 - 09:26 PM.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#15    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

Mean as Hell

• 2,355 posts

• I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 31 August 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

Yeah i'm well aware what the result was thanks, I watched the entire debate through both houses.

I don't care if they voted for or against, i'm not bothered either way. My point is they are paid high wages to do a job, and if they can't cut their holidays short or make sure they are in the house on time to vote on something as important as military action then they deserve the sack. Bare in mind that it could have gone the other way by a few votes, and their votes might have stopped military intervention - so don't start signing their praises just because the vote came back as a no.....they deserve the sack for not doing the job they are paid to do.

You won't get an argument out of me if you're mocking the lucrative lifestyles of politicians, many of which are as useless as t..ts on a bull.  But I'm sure that isn't the "true" reason Cameron got irked off.

- Oscar Wilde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users