Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Do undeclared wars steal from the people?

constitution declaration of war congress war bankruptcy

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Do undeclared wars steal from the people? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Do undeclared wars steal from the people?

1. Yes (10 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. No (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,764 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

View PostAlmagest, on 01 September 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

Wait I'm confused, it's bad that the Parliament voted down war? You know the House of Commons is made up from democratically elected MPs. As far as I understand from the British system it is the monarch who is the commander in chief of the military, and they act on advice from Parliament.
I can't speak for RW but my understanding of his post was that he's troubled that the Brits are doing what we in America haven't done - reign in our adventurism.  I agree with this in principle but I also think that there are times that going against public sentiment is necessary - rare but necessary.  This may be one of those instances.  Of course all this is predicated on the truth that our president isn't mature enough to understand that his words carry great weight and need to be chosen circumspectly.  He set this problem in motion and now we are boxed into an action no one seems to want.  I think the fact that US citizens by and large seem willing to just look the other way on Syria is shameful for us as a nation.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#17    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

I look at all this from outside (even though I am in the States for a couple more weeks) and see a rather pathetic picture of a President afraid of his shadow and a significant number of members of the Congress plus of course Russia and Syria taking political advantage of the President's vacillation

I will admit, although the Syrian regime's behavior is beyond even the criminal pale, that I feared we might be at the beginning of a WWI type scenario, and it may still work out this way.  If Putin would behave honorably all this could be managed, but it seems he want personal advantage out of this.

#18    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,780 posts

• ראה

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:29 AM

It's disgusting to see how many political pundits are giving President Obama hell for deciding to go to Congress before bombing Syria.

If he had bombed them immediately, they'd be saying just the opposite.

The "red line" was hoping Syria wouldn't use chemical weapons. It was the right thing to do. Waiting now, is the right thing to do, also.

I also suspect the Russians gave Assad some hell for this, because the more people Assad gases, the worse the Russians look, and the more motivated they become to help put an end to him.

Edited by Raptor Witness, 04 September 2013 - 01:30 AM.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#19    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostRaptor Witness, on 04 September 2013 - 01:29 AM, said:

It's disgusting to see how many political pundits are giving President Obama hell for deciding to go to Congress before bombing Syria.

The "red line" was hoping Syria wouldn't use chemical weapons. It was the right thing to do. Waiting now, is the right thing to do, also.

I also suspect the Russians gave Assad some hell for this, because the more people Assad gases, the worse the Russians look, and the more motivated they become to help put an end to him.

And it appears that now the neocons and other war mongers are saying they will go along with Obama as long as he broadens the war (instead of 'surgical' strikes) and puts boots on the ground.  The Israelis are loving it.

#20    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,130 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

View PostRaptor Witness, on 04 September 2013 - 01:29 AM, said:

I agree but I don't get why it was ok for him to kill his people with bullets but now that he used chemicals everyone is outraged.

#21    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,780 posts

• ראה

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 04 September 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

And it appears that now the neocons and other war mongers are saying they will go along with Obama as long as he broadens the war (instead of 'surgical' strikes) and puts boots on the ground.  The Israelis are loving it.
I wouldn't be opposed to boots on the ground if they were solely for the purpose of securing those chemical weapons. In fact, I think most Americans could understand that, but surgically bombing someone who is cornered, and who might lash out at Israel, or give some of these weapons to Hezbollah, is insane without an obvious back up plan. In other words, the real end game they want.

It's likely the Americans already know that they'll have to go in and get those weapons, once bombing begins, and this is the false pretense they'll use to put boots on the ground. Kerry basically stumbled upon that correct answer in the Congressional hearings.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users