Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

EU plans to fit all cars with speed limiters

speed limiters cameras speed limits patrick mcloughlin

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,372 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Under the proposals new cars would be fitted with cameras that could read road speed limit signs and automatically apply the brakes when this is exceeded.

Patrick McLoughlin, the Transport Secretary, is said to be opposed to the plans, which could also mean existing cars are sent to garages to be fitted with the speed limiters, preventing them from going over 70mph.

http://www.telegraph...d-limiters.html

Posted Image

#2    A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

Yet another blatant attack by the EEC on peoples freedom and Liberty.

" Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos. "

Anon.

#3    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 01 September 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Yet another blatant attack by the EEC on peoples freedom and Liberty.
Uh no this is too stop high speed crashes, you should not be speeding anyway

#4    A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon

Psychic Spy

• 1,869 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 01 September 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

Uh no this is too stop high speed crashes, you should not be speeding anyway

No it's an attack on personal choice and freedom.

Anon.

#5    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 01 September 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

What benefit is there by speeding? if you are late for work or meeting or appointment and you are speeding then it is your fault because you should of planned your route better.

#6    A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon

Psychic Spy

• 1,869 posts

Mark Russel

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 01 September 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

What benefit is there by speeding? if you are late for work or meeting or appointment and you are speeding then it is your fault because you should of planned your route better.
Who said anything about Speeding.

Anon.

#7    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

Terrible idea. Hopefully the powerful motor industry get this binned before it even starts.

#8    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 01 September 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Who said anything about Speeding.
Under the proposals new cars would be fitted with cameras that could read road speed limit signs and automatically apply the brakes when this is exceeded.

Patrick McLoughlin, the Transport Secretary, is said to be opposed to the plans, which could also mean existing cars are sent to garages to be fitted with the speed limiters, preventing them from going over 70mph.

So to prevent Speeding

#9    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 01 September 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

So to prevent Speeding

Preventing anyone in any circumstances going over 70 will undoubtedly cause deaths. If i'm in the middle lane doing a steady 70, car not far behind me in both the middle and 3rd lane, then someone pulls out in front of me from the first lane the least dangerous thing to do is to accelerate into the third lane thus avoiding heavy breaking and potential crashes.

Edited by Sky Scanner, 01 September 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#10    A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon

Psychic Spy

• 1,869 posts

Mark Russel

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

I'm pretty sure the Germans are going to love this,you can travel up to 120 mph on their Autobahns.

Anon.

#11    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 01 September 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Preventing anyone in any circumstances going over 70 will undoubtedly cause deaths. If i'm in the middle lane doing a steady 70, car not far behind me in both the middle and 3rd lane, then someone pulls out in front of me from the first lane the least dangerous thing to do is to accelerate into the third lane thus avoiding heavy breaking and potential crashes.
True bu that also depends on the persons reactions are, for all i know for argument sake you could be 80 and not have quick reactions to get away

#12    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 01 September 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Exactly...there are times when accelerating is the only way to avoid an accident.

#13    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 01 September 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

True bu that also depends on the persons reactions are, for all i know for argument sake you could be 80 and not have quick reactions to get away

It's more likely to be an 80yr old that pulls out from the first lane after coming up on a slow moving lorry, but pulling out at 55 or 60mph...that is going to have the knock on effect of making everyone else behind break heavy. If you accelerate into the 3rd lane, get passed him and then reduce back to 70 you have stopped a potential pile-up.

#14    A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon

Psychic Spy

• 1,869 posts

Mark Russel

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 01 September 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

So to prevent Speeding

So he should,Law enforcement gets paid to prevent speeding.Speed cameras are installed to prevent speeding.

How much will it cost for motorists to have these devices installed ? Do you not think that Motorists pay enough already ? High gas prices and road Tax.

It is a blatant attack  by the EEC on personal choice and personal freedom.

Anon.

#15    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,148 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

just to annoy Clarkson! I thoroughly approve. :D

View Postshaddow134, on 01 September 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

That kind of Freedom is merely a nuisance at best, and possibly a danger, to others. That really is a misuse of the word 'freedom'.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 01 September 2013 - 02:14 PM.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users