Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

EU plans to fit all cars with speed limiters

speed limiters cameras speed limits patrick mcloughlin

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,131 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 01 September 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Terrible idea. Hopefully the powerful motor industry get this binned before it even starts.
Oh yes, we must preserve our Freedom to be a bloody menace to others. that's the only kind of Freedom people care about nowadays, it seems, the freedom to be a bloody nuisance.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#17    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,759 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

Are they going to make sure that slow drivers (as dangerous as speeders IMO) automatically speed up to a safe speed (to stay with the flow of traffic)?...
This automated regulation of speed with no regard to conditions, has "disaster" written all over it...

#18    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 01 September 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

Oh yes, we must preserve our Freedom to be a bloody menace to others. that's the only kind of Freedom people care about nowadays, it seems, the freedom to be a bloody nuisance.

Freedom is Freedom wether it is a nuisance or not.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#19    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,976 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostTaun, on 01 September 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

Are they going to make sure that slow drivers (as dangerous as speeders IMO) automatically speed up to a safe speed (to stay with the flow of traffic)?...
This automated regulation of speed with no regard to conditions, has "disaster" written all over it...
Taun, can you imagine how this would go over in the US?  Especially out west?  :w00t:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#20    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,759 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

View Postand then, on 01 September 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Taun, can you imagine how this would go over in the US?  Especially out west?  :w00t:

We've got 100 mile straightaways... I dread the day that our speeds are limited by some uncaring machine... I can't imagine the frustration of being stuck in a dense bubble of traffic for
hundreds of miles with no chance of getting out of the bubble into a safer - less congested part of the traffic flow...  Because, limiting the speed will result in denser knots of traffic - thus a greater chance of
accidents...

Our 'experiment' with 55mph as a the national speed limit back in the 70's was a huge - resounding failure...

Edited by Taun, 01 September 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#21    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 01 September 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure the Germans are going to love this,you can travel up to 120 mph on their Autobahns.
A speed limit on the Autobahn is in the talks already. It's only a matter of time.

#22    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,129 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 01 September 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

Uh no this is too stop high speed crashes, you should not be speeding anyway

I take it you've never tried to do 70 on a motorway have you.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#23    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,129 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 01 September 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Preventing anyone in any circumstances going over 70 will undoubtedly cause deaths. If i'm in the middle lane doing a steady 70, car not far behind me in both the middle and 3rd lane, then someone pulls out in front of me from the first lane the least dangerous thing to do is to accelerate into the third lane thus avoiding heavy breaking and potential crashes.

Yes, & interestingly i've rarely heard of a fatal motorway accident that didn't involve an articulated lorry.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#24    TSS

TSS

Observer

• 5,674 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 01 September 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

A menace to others? Get a grip. So you're poodling along at 60 in the 1st lane, and someone is able to accelerate to 80 in the 3rd lane - how is that a nuisance to you? Or are you just one of these that likes to legislate every aspect of people's lives in some effort to reduce risk, simply because they do things you wouldn't do?

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#25    TSS

TSS

Observer

• 5,674 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 01 September 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Yes, & interestingly i've rarely heard of a fatal motorway accident that didn't involve an articulated lorry.

My father was a fireman for 20 odd yrs, most fatalities in road accident had little to do with people going to fast on motorways, the worst ones being tailgating and then the car infront brakes heavy causing a concertina effect in crashing. Before the M20 opened, you only had the A20, it's quite a slow road - you'd be lucky to get up to 50/60 on it (on a good day)...every week someone was dying on it somewhere....the M20 opened which ran parralel to it, you can get a good lick of speed up on that road and there is hardly any fatalities on it.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#26    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

A proposal for all new cars to be fitted with cameras that read speed limit signs and then automatically applies the brakes. I see nothing but carnage. There is a massive difference between speeding and driving with complete disrespect for the speed limit.

The Asian community in Bradford that drive like they are auditioning for “Fast & Furious” will be outraged at this.

I see the insurance companies rubbing their hands together at this proposal.

Posted Image

#27    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,591 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

People should realise that they are driving a ton or more of lethal machinery,I did 34 yards per second (70 mph) on the M4 at 0700 Wednesday,and apart from H.G.V's I was the slowest vehicle on the road. Its scary on a morning, but coming home the same 35 miles took me 1hr 40 mins."rush" hr time.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#28    Parsec

Parsec

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

To me it looks like a very idiotic idea.

What if some fool is driving at 90 mph and then he meets a road sign saying "speed limit 70", will the car brake abruptly? It would cause sure accident. Would the car brake gently?
It doesn't make much sense.

If they want to limit car's speed, wouldn't be cheaper, simpler and safer to mount a speed limiter on the engines like they do for scooters? Or even easier, can't they build cars that can't go faster than x mph? In this way even if someone wants to go faster, he can't, because the engine is limited.

I have to say that 70 mph (112 km/h) is a bit slow, 80 mph (130 km/h), like it's now in most Europe, should be the top speed.

Anyway, to me the real problem is not the top speed reachable, rather the slower speed limits. The article doesn't say that this speed limit would be applied only on highways, so we have to conclude that it would apply to every road. I don't know in your countries, but here there are many roads with hallucinational and sensless speed limits, so you would be forced to drive at 50 or even 30 km/h (31 or 18 mph), when you could in total safety drive at 70 km/h (43 mph)!

I don't know if it's the same in your countries, but here in Italy local administrations count a lot on incomes derived from road fines (here we say that's an "additional tax"): in many parts of Italy they invent every system in order to increase the chances to fill a fine (for instance, change abruptly the speed limit of a road without any logical reason, or apply a speed limit excessively slow for that specific road) and they apply a strict control on those roads.
So I don't think this proposal will pass, because it would erase that income, depriving local administrations of a lot of money, and thus creating troubles to Governments.

#29    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

So it stops drivers from speeding on the statistically safest roads in the country, but still allows them to speed in lethal areas like outside schools etc.

Same old nonsense, a bit like the enforcement cameras who are put in place for revenue not safety.  If they were for safety you would find them outside every school.

I take it the limiters will be set to the counties highest speed limit. How does that work with Autobahn's which only have a recommended limit?  Are they exempt?

Posted Image

#30    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,591 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

View Postskookum, on 02 September 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

So it stops drivers from speeding on the statistically safest roads in the country, but still allows them to speed in lethal areas like outside schools etc.

Same old nonsense, a bit like the enforcement cameras who are put in place for revenue not safety.  If they were for safety you would find them outside every school.

I take it the limiters will be set to the counties highest speed limit. How does that work with Autobahn's which only have a recommended limit?  Are they exempt?
The Germans and French tend to "rule" the E.U, so maybe the rules dont apply to them.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users