Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Could You Survive the End of the Universe?

universe survive

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#31    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• this user is both more and less wrathful and more and less clever than he seems

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:48 AM

View Postonereaderone, on 03 September 2013 - 02:35 AM, said:

the  heat  death  or  ev

conservation  of  motion/energy  is  not  very  friendly  to  heat  death...  

frankly  speaking...   which  do  you  honestly  think is close  to  the  truth....

1)  it  blooms  out  untill   there  is  a  still  quiet  pond....   and  nothing  changes  for  eternity ...

2) the  fire  turns  to ash ,  the  ash  turns  to  dirt  ,  the  dirt  turns  into  a tree ,  the  tree  bursts  into  flame and fire ....  repeat ...

If 2) implies repeat ad infinitum I would have to go with anything else.

How is 1) so hard to accept?  It doesn't affect you personally, the long boring end would be grillions of years away.   Entropy must increase in a closed system.  The laws of thermodynamics have served very well so far. And, so far, we have no evidence of the universe not being closed.  NO EVIDENCE.  Plenty of hippies have plenty of theories and I readily grant on this side of the fence that kind of stuff flies... but I choose to believe what there is good, repeatable evidence for, not what makes me most happy.

#32    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,097 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:19 AM

There is no evidence that the vacuum itself  originated at the Big Bang.  Quantum fluctuations exist everywhere. All it would take is the extremely rare tunneling event of enough positive virtual particles to tunnel from anywhere else to a single point to create a Big Bang. We already know that it is possible for a subatomic particle to emerge anywhere in the universe, we already know that there is a virtual sea of particles in any piece of space. All thee variables are there for an extrmely rare but non zero event to create a universe.

Now to survive the end of it? I suppose a race of beings would have to become super intelligent. At this stage of consciousness this race would essentially be totally connected and would resemble one entity. This godlike entity would then use its highly evolve intelligence to inseminate other universes with its consciousness maby forming and embronic stage of itself or simply expending into it. Or it might decide to create another universe by manipulating probabilities or simply waiting for one to show up, then like all life it would create itself anew.  If this were possible its already been done with previous universes, and we are the products of the continued existence. :)

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#33    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• this user is both more and less wrathful and more and less clever than he seems

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:03 AM

I... forgot which side of the fence I was posting on.  I'll leave you all to your merry :)

#34    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,105 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

if hyperinflation model is correct space must have been created as the same time as matter as there is no other way to explain faster than light expansion

Edited by spacecowboy342, 03 September 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#35    ZOD

ZOD

Future Leader of Earth

• 5,018 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

This all really groovy and philosophical.  But end of the universe would also mean end of everything in that universe.

SO by that, no, its impossible to survive the end of the universe, because we are in the universe.

Battle isn't wordplay.  It's skill and precision.  Get it? I'm better.

#36    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,047 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

This all assumes the universe will have an end.  The most common prediction with scientific support is that the expansion will accelerate until sometime (within an order of magnitude of the present time, or maybe one order greater) the acceleration will reach down to our size ranges and the planets and then soon afterward even the atoms will explode in a near-infinite race away from each other.  It is hard to imagine anyone surviving that, no matter how advanced.

Earlier, before the acceleration of the expansion was discovered, the "end" of the universe was the heat death, where entropy gets so great that there i no way to get useful energy from it.  The thing is, the universe approaches that state more and more slowly and never quite gets there, and a number of schemes for continued existence of life in a steadily slowing state were proposed.  It was also proposed that maybe the raw energy of space-time could be tapped.

Whether or not one wants to live essentially forever would I suppose depend on the details of the nature of that life.

View PostSkepticalB, on 04 September 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

This all really groovy and philosophical.  But end of the universe would also mean end of everything in that universe.

SO by that, no, its impossible to survive the end of the universe, because we are in the universe.
Well it is not too hard to imagine leaving the universe and going to a different one.

#37    ZOD

ZOD

Future Leader of Earth

• 5,018 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

That's assuming there are other universes and that if there are they're reachable.

#38    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,105 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:11 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 04 September 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

This all assumes the universe will have an end.  The most common prediction with scientific support is that the expansion will accelerate until sometime (within an order of magnitude of the present time, or maybe one order greater) the acceleration will reach down to our size ranges and the planets and then soon afterward even the atoms will explode in a near-infinite race away from each other.  It is hard to imagine anyone surviving that, no matter how advanced.

Earlier, before the acceleration of the expansion was discovered, the "end" of the universe was the heat death, where entropy gets so great that there i no way to get useful energy from it.  The thing is, the universe approaches that state more and more slowly and never quite gets there, and a number of schemes for continued existence of life in a steadily slowing state were proposed.  It was also proposed that maybe the raw energy of space-time could be tapped.

Whether or not one wants to live essentially forever would I suppose depend on the details of the nature of that life.

Well it is not too hard to imagine leaving the universe and going to a different one.
I think much depends on the properties of dark energy which we don't understand well enough yet. Still heat death seems like close enough to an end for me. How would you propose leaving this universe assuming there is anywhere else to go?

#39    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,105 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:13 AM

View PostSkepticalB, on 04 September 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

That's assuming there are other universes and that if there are they're reachable.
And are not approaching their end as well. Would be ironic were we to escape this universe just before the end and find the same situation where ever we ended up

#40    ZOD

ZOD

Future Leader of Earth

• 5,018 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:18 AM

That's Bugs Bunny enough to be possible

#41    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,105 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

View PostSkepticalB, on 05 September 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

That's Bugs Bunny enough to be possible
Or that in the new universe the values for dark energy were higher so that galaxies never formed. Maybe I'm a pessimist

#42    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

View PostSkepticalB, on 04 September 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

by definition, I agree

#43    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

Sadly, no. :no:

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#44    MamaTweedy

MamaTweedy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

• ?

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

I don't think we'd be here if the universe came to an end ..everything would probably explode

#45    Sunny Day

Sunny Day

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

• Learn, wonder, smile...

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

I don't think it will matter by that stage of the game.  Live the life you have here and now and we'll 'cross that bridge when we come it' ok?

Also tagged with universe, survive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users