Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

is this perfection or somethng else.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,900 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:17 AM

The bible says that god is the same today, tomorrow and yesterday.  So does that make him perfect.  Christ said to be perfect as god in heaven is.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#2    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,032 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

Shouldn't this be in a religion forum?

#3    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

The Bible says a lot of crap, does not mean you should listen.

Edited by krypter3, 03 September 2013 - 06:41 AM.

#4    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:47 AM

Well correction, doesn't mean you have to listen...wait no...no you shouldn't listen.

Edited by krypter3, 03 September 2013 - 06:48 AM.

#5    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,790 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

View Postdanielost, on 03 September 2013 - 04:17 AM, said:

The bible says that god is the same today, tomorrow and yesterday.  So does that make him perfect.  Christ said to be perfect as god in heaven is.
Does God still enjoy the smell of burnt sacrifices?

#6    AtlantisRises

AtlantisRises

Oderint dum metuant

• 2,380 posts

• My time has not yet come either, Some are born post humously

Ecce homo
    Nietszche

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

If god is the same today, tomorrow and yesterday then why did he bother with Jesus and the New Testament? Seems that if god is incapable of changing then he didn't need to write a new book.

Posted Image

#7    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,473 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

There is no such thing as perfection..it simply cannot exist in an environment that is always changing.
Perfection is a human concept, bound by perceptions and is entirely subjective and relative.

#8    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,319 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 03 September 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

Does God still enjoy the smell of burnt sacrifices?

There are bunch of other things to present to push the OP's button.

But let's go easy on him. Seems like he's been through a lot, like me.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#9    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,473 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

I think it is a perfectly legitimate question..if such things as stoning people to death, butchering animals (and maybe a person if no animals are around) for blood sacrifices were so "perfect" (after all wasn't it the christian god that demanded such things?) then why was it eliminated?

#10    MacsMom

MacsMom

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Random crap that no one reads anyway

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

I don't know if God demanded stoning people to death but He did require blood sacrifices (one thing that I'll never quite understand).  That practice stopped when Jesus was crucified as He was the perfect sacrifice.

God, did, however, order the complete destruction of towns and peoples for whatever His reasonings were.  Men, women, children, and all animals.  Doesn't sound very compassionate and all forgiving to me.

Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along.  Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone?

#11    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

View Postdanielost, on 03 September 2013 - 04:17 AM, said:

Hebrews 13:8 is the "today, tomorrow, yesterday" verse.  It speaks of Jesus as being unchanging, but says nothing about His perfection.

However, Matthew 5:48 tells us to "be perfect, as your Father in heaven is perfect."  Is this telling us that we can achieve perfection, or merely that striving toward perfection facilitates our spiritual growth.  For that matter, what does it mean to be perfect?  And whose standard of perfection is being used here, God's or our's?

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#12    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,900 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

If all your going to do is attack a church or god don't post on this thread.  No one is holding a gun to your head to post here.

Edited by danielost, 03 September 2013 - 02:02 PM.

There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#13    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,900 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostMacsMom, on 03 September 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

I don't know if God demanded stoning people to death but He did require blood sacrifices (one thing that I'll never quite understand).  That practice stopped when Jesus was crucified as He was the perfect sacrifice.

God, did, however, order the complete destruction of towns and peoples for whatever His reasonings were.  Men, women, children, and all animals.  Doesn't sound very compassionate and all forgiving to me.

The blood sacrifice was two fold. To remind the isrealites that god had saved them, and to represent christ's sacrifice.  After he died and rose from the dead it was no longer needed.

#14    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:51 AM

You asked a question on a public forum, we replied.

#15    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

So God is outside of time, immune to it's effects, and omniscient, does that mean there's no such thing as free will and we are just his evolved monkey playthings?

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users