Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Vicar 'refuses to baptise' baby of lesbian

aimi leggett baptise lesbion baby reverend george gebauer

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,348 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

Aimi Leggett, 25, and civil partner Victoria, 22, had planned to have one-year-old son Alfie christened at St Mary's Church, Gosport, Hants, in two weeks.

However, when both women asked to be listed as the mother in a meeting with Reverend George Gebauer he said the church baptism register would not allow it.

He suggested one be registered as the mother while the other be put down as the Godmother instead.

http://www.telegraph...red-mother.html

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,150 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

LMAO you may not directly state that their sexuality is an issue, but even a blind man could see it is. Do you think by avoiding direct mention that it somehow makes things better? And you really think anyone who kidnaps a child is going to want it baptised in the church?

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#3    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

I am sure he was aware of their sexuality and I don’t think that came into his decision, both women asked to be listed as the mother in a meeting with Reverend and he said the church baptism register would not allow it, rules are there for everyone, incl Lesbian couples and he does have a point. I think the church has become very flexible over the years, although I would never step foot inside one.

Posted Image

#4    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,406 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

"Their sexuality has no bearing on the issue."

Says Rev Gebauer.

"We can only make sure the child is theirs. For all we know they may have pinched the child."

Because, you know, it's common knowledge that lesbian couples roam the country pinching children. :rolleyes:

Not like normal heterosexual couples. They would never pinch children.

But it's nothing to do with their sexuality. :rolleyes:

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#5    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

It's important to read the article. While the retired vicar Rev. Gebauer may have been clueless at best and hard-of-heart at worst, the clearer cleric prevailed and the proper and legal resolution was achieved.

Having faced a similar situation myself, I just would have altered the register "famother," presided at the sacrament and signed off. Not every retiree fill-in can be expected to think along such flexible  lines.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#6    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,569 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

POPULAR

Who on earth wants to follow a religion that rejects you?

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,764 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

I find nothing wrong with a CHURCH deciding it's own rules regarding membership.  There is nothing illegal in such a concept.  As Rlyeh said - if they don't want you why try to be a member?  As soon as marriage became legal among same sex couples there were couples resorting to the court to force a church to solemnize their union even though the dogma of the church - it's very foundation - disallows such unions.  If some find that "hateful" then I would by all means avoid such a hateful institution.  The greater goal has always been for EVERYONE to recognize AND APPROVE of the gay lifestyle and choice.  This is completely unfair and most gay folk probably would not demand such rights.  But a minority who are militant will - and hard feelings will abound due to this.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#8    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,150 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

So a homosexual's faith should be totally ignored. They are not allowed to believe in God or participate in church functions. :tu:

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#9    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

I think they are being left out, could be their friends and family are doing it too

#10    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 03 September 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

Who on earth wants to follow a religion that rejects you?

Spot on.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#11    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,764 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 03 September 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

So a homosexual's faith should be totally ignored. They are not allowed to believe in God or participate in church functions. :tu:
This isn't the issue.  The alternative is to FORCE the majority to go against their faith to accommodate a small group whose ideas are diametrically opposite of the church on this issue.  Homosexuals are entitled to revere any god or no god but they are not entitled to force others to believe as they do simply because it gives them some form of comfort or self justification.  This stance isn't about hate - it's about fairness to all.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

I guess all we can say is that some faith causes harm in the world and doesn't fit Jesus' test of whether it bears good fruit or rotten fruit.

#13    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,406 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

View Postand then, on 03 September 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

I find nothing wrong with a CHURCH deciding it's own rules regarding membership.

As long as the church organisation is a private institution, then I have no issue with it having rules promoting prejudice and discrimination. However, the Church of England is a public institution and has a say in public policy through representation in the House of Lords. As such, this public institution should be required to abide by the anti-discrimination laws all other public institutions in this country have to abide by.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Sounds as though disestablishment of the Church of England would be a good idea.

#15    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 4,133 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

View Postand then, on 03 September 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

This isn't the issue.  The alternative is to FORCE the majority to go against their faith to accommodate a small group whose ideas are diametrically opposite of the church on this issue.  Homosexuals are entitled to revere any god or no god but they are not entitled to force others to believe as they do simply because it gives them some form of comfort or self justification.  This stance isn't about hate - it's about fairness to all.

The church's stance, and that of religions like it, is extremely distasteful and it HAS fostered a great dea of hate for centuries. In fact in any places (ook at Russia and African countries for christianity, the idde east for islam) and you get a pretty good view of that happening today. The stance is not about fairness, it's never been about fairness, quite the oppsite. It is about treating gay people as inferior and somehow getting away with it with zero consequence.

Fairness, don't make me laugh.

And forcing the majority to go against their faith? Most polls show that people in the church of england see gay people as full equals, so it would NOT be against the majority. The only majority it seems to offed is those in power in the church, which are so out of touch with the majority of parishoners it's becoming a joke.

The church of england is pushing a very mixed message when it comes to gay people and it needs to come into the 21st century without having one foot in the past like it does now. Right now it's preaching that homophobia is wrong and welcomes gay people, but won't perform marriages or civil unions. This is about a baptism and just look at how it's gone. One days yes, one says no, then back to yes again. It needs to decide hat it's going to do. It needs to properly taake a positive stance towards gay people, then stuff like this wouldn't happen. Right now it's trying to do both and it simply won't work, not in the long run.

Edited by shadowhive, 03 September 2013 - 07:28 PM.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
We'll just keep on trying till we run out of cake
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users