Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged] Germany pursues Auschwitz guards

auschwitz guards prosecution

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,630 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

German justice officials have said 30 former Auschwitz death camp guards should face prosecution.

The Baden-Wuerttemberg state justice ministry, heading the investigation, said 49 guards had been investigated, of whom 30 should be prosecuted.

The 30 are spread across Germany, and another seven are living abroad. They are said to be aged up to 97.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-23942519

Posted Image

#2    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

It's all "too little too late"...  most of them won't even know what day it and are probbaly blowing bubbles through the nose and mouth.

Posted Image

#3    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,630 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

View Postxsas, on 03 September 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

It's all "too little too late"...
That's what I thought. When you've reached age 90+ your life is coming to an end anyway.  They are lucky to have lived to such a ripe old age, which is more than can be said for the prisoners at Auschwitz.

Posted Image

#4    Sufjan

Sufjan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

It's not about judgement, it's about sending a message. But yes, it is too late.

#5    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 03 September 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

That's what I thought. When you've reached age 90+ your life is coming to an end anyway.  They are lucky to have lived to such a ripe old age, which is more than can be said for the prisoners at Auschwitz.

Absolutely, I fully agree.. It’s a bit like stripping Jimmy Saville  of his knighthood after all the abuse claims against him.

He is dead and buried, the Knighthood means nothing to him anymore.. which leads me to my next question, where the hell is my Knighthood, they seem to be taking their time deciding on it.

Posted Image

#6    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

View Postxsas, on 03 September 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Absolutely, I fully agree.. It’s a bit like stripping Jimmy Saville  of his knighthood after all the abuse claims against him.

He is dead and buried, the Knighthood means nothing to him anymore.. which leads me to my next question, where the hell is my Knighthood, they seem to be taking their time deciding on it.

I'm still waiting for my OBE,good luck on that one.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#7    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,902 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

View Postxsas, on 03 September 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Ahem....there is a queue, young man if you don't mind!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#8    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

• 6,293 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

View Postealdwita, on 03 September 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

Ahem....there is a queue, young man if you don't mind!

Damn you and your pulling Rank.. :tu:

Posted Image

#9    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,931 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:16 AM

Should 30 Nazi concentration camp guards now between the ages of 86-97 be put to death?  

http://www.csmonitor...s-for-old-Nazis

One such guard is Siert Bruins, 92 years old, who has been found at last.   Interestingly, he was already sentenced to death in absentia in the Netherlands in 1949.   It's said that he was alert in court during trial proceedings.

http://abcnews.go.co...-crime-20133482

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#10    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,869 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

Is there a statute of limitations on attempted genocide and mass murder?

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 04 September 2013 - 05:48 AM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#11    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

Nope, not as far as I'm aware.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#12    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

I don't have a problem with it if the evidence is sound.  My issue is always that some of these guys are brought up on charges based on evidence that is circumstantial at best.  I also think that a distinction can be drawn between an 18-year-old conscripted prison guard and a goose stepping card carrying member of the SS Death Head brigade.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#13    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• 1,021 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostRafterman, on 04 September 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

I don't have a problem with it if the evidence is sound.  My issue is always that some of these guys are brought up on charges based on evidence that is circumstantial at best.  I also think that a distinction can be drawn between an 18-year-old conscripted prison guard and a goose stepping card carrying member of the SS Death Head brigade.
I agree with that. I know the Nuremburg trials established that nobody can now hide behind the excuse that they were just obeying orders, but this is being applied retrospectively to these people who had no choice but to obey orders. Of course the Holocaust was vile beyond belief, but pursuing 90 year olds who were just footsoldiers starts to seem vindictive for the sake of it, and perhaps lessens the moral high ground by this.

#14    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostKaa-Tzik, on 04 September 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

I agree with that. I know the Nuremburg trials established that nobody can now hide behind the excuse that they were just obeying orders, but this is being applied retrospectively to these people who had no choice but to obey orders. Of course the Holocaust was vile beyond belief, but pursuing 90 year olds who were just footsoldiers starts to seem vindictive for the sake of it, and perhaps lessens the moral high ground by this.

Well you also have to consider that these Nazi hunters will be out of business in a few years anyway.  So one has to wonder if they're just stretching it out as long as possible to keep the $$ rolling in.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#15    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostRafterman, on 04 September 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

Well you also have to consider that these Nazi hunters will be out of business in a few years anyway.  So one has to wonder if they're just stretching it out as long as possible to keep the $$ rolling in.

Nah, they just will burn some who have already died in effigy.

But that is not the point here, the point is that if you were complicit in a crime against humanity you should be named regardless if the penalty is negligible.

My only problem with this is that it only seems to apply to Nazis and Communists. Most of the rest is getting away with it.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

Also tagged with auschwitz, guards, prosecution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users