Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Good Sci-Fi movies

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,129 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

The Quiet Earth

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#32    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,167 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

A new movie for November!!

Gravity. The shuttle gets hit

edit: just found an extended trailer

Edited by seeder, 11 September 2013 - 02:11 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#33    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,167 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

And lets not forget Elysium.  I watched this a week ago, about rich people living on a super big space station while the earth is ruined and filled with all the poor people

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#34    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,956 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

Well I've just looked through the films I've watched this year thus far and most sci-fi ones are obvious or have already been mentioned, so I'll just add thettwo that haven't. (While going on a hunt for Europa project because I've always had an interest in Europa).

First is Cargo which is a film I watched a few months back. It's set on a ship making a cargo run to a space station. The crew is in stasis, with each takng a few month shift to keep a check on everything. But then, as always things start going wrong. It's a German language film, so it's subtitled, but it's worth a watch.

The second is The Arrival Of Wang which I saw a few weeks back (although yes I giggled at the name beforehand). It's in Italian, so it's again subtitled. It's about a translator that's bought in to translate for the mysterious Mr Wang of the title (who isn't chinese, but in fact an alien that has learned the language because it was the most common). Despite protesting he came in peace, the government offcals don't trust him as they found him with a strange device.... Again it's worth a watch though it's mostly confined to the interview room and just outside of it.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
Where are those droideka?
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#35    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

• (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 04 September 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

I have seen no less than 3 version of Blade Runner. If I recall, Final Cut was the best verison. Do love the orginal story, though.

Lets see, what have I seen....
Blade Runner
Moon
Primer
Sunshine
Pretty much every 80's and 90's action sci-fi
Children of Men
Event Horizon
The Man from Earth
Planet of the Apes series

to name a few.

Problem is I can't think of any movies right now.
Moon is good.

Think of the following as Psychotronic sci-fi:
Creation of the Humanoids
Tron (1982)
The Crawling Eye
Andromeda Strain

Fun commercial sci-fi:
Soldier (1998)
The Chronicles of Riddick

https://www.youtube....ix3pVUX86yBWWzS  (playlist )    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008232820397
According to Gnosticism, Christ came to world to give us a way out; so, why is Gnosticism so secretive and elitist when it comes to salvation??
Eileen Ford speaks candidly about supermodels: "...And they have to be cheerful. Nobody likes to go in and hear your troubles, you know. When people ask you how you feel, don't tell them if you're sick, 'cause they don't really care."

#36    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,248 posts

• (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:50 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 04 September 2013 - 04:52 AM, said:

Okay then.

Check out, Fantastic Voyage (1966), very groundbreaking (and, if I do say so, Raquel Welch looks good in a scuba suit).

Rated 6.8/10 by IMDB.
Here ya go:

https://www.youtube....ix3pVUX86yBWWzS  (playlist )    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008232820397
According to Gnosticism, Christ came to world to give us a way out; so, why is Gnosticism so secretive and elitist when it comes to salvation??
Eileen Ford speaks candidly about supermodels: "...And they have to be cheerful. Nobody likes to go in and hear your troubles, you know. When people ask you how you feel, don't tell them if you're sick, 'cause they don't really care."

#37    Drayno

Drayno

Draynor's Finest

• 3,704 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

View PostStarMountainKid, on 11 September 2013 - 01:34 AM, said:

What about "Coneheads"???   It's funny that both Kramer and George Costanza are in the movie.

Classic!

View Postseeder, on 11 September 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

A new movie for November!!

Gravity. The shuttle gets hit

edit: just found an extended trailer

I'm not sure how this will be. I hope it'll be good.

The new Riddick movie is supposed to be dark.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II

#38    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

Gravity and Elyseum are on my to watch list and now I have added The quiet Earth.

I am also looking forward to Terminator 5 as I've been a big fan since I was around 14 and I watched the first one.

I am also looking forward to Jurassic Park 4.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#39    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

Just watched Star Trek:Into Darkness...loved it....if only one could be part of that crew!

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#40    Odin11

Odin11

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

I just thought of another one, 12 Monkeys . Its a good  Psychological Thriller.

Edited by Odin11, 15 September 2013 - 03:40 AM.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#41    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,326 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:27 AM

Gotta say, just got done watching The Dark City. One thing it is is unpredictable. Sci-fi noir with a little bit of Wizard of Oz thrown in. And pretty much everyone overacting except William Hurt, who I just saw in The Host, which was a better movie than this one. On the other hand, just finished a really good sci-fi book, Chindi, by Jack McDevitt, which was not written for teenagers with too much testosterone.

#42    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,401 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'm a big fan of any Star Trek movie. I love 'Blade Runner' and old Sci Fi movies. I like the original 'The Day the Earth Stood Still', 'War of the Worlds', 'Forbidden Planet', 'The Time Machine'. Newer versions of the old classics just don't appeal to me as much.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#43    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

View PostLilly, on 15 September 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

I'm a big fan of any Star Trek movie. I love 'Blade Runner' and old Sci Fi movies. I like the original 'The Day the Earth Stood Still', 'War of the Worlds', 'Forbidden Planet', 'The Time Machine'. Newer versions of the old classics just don't appeal to me as much.

Big Trek fan here, but I can't say I love all the movies. Trek 5 is good for a laugh once in a great while, but it also makes me cringe because it's pretty bad in a lot of ways. Of the Next Generation movies, I liked First Contact a lot but the others didn't grab me. I watch the original series on Netflix occasionally, and while there are some great stories in there many of them are pretty bad also. I do love those characters though, and the new movies do a great job of updating the series. The alternate timeline idea was genius, and the actors playing the primary roles are all at least good and in some cases great at channeling those characters.

Blade Runner is one my all time favorites. It's one of very few movies I have on VHS, DVD, and BluRay. The BluRay edition is a must for any fan, because it has five versions of the film in one set.

I just recently watched The Day The Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet for the first time. Good stuff. I definitely agree about the newer versions of War of the Worlds and Time Machine. I never bothered to watch The Day Keanu Stood Still.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#44    ohio_traveler

ohio_traveler

Psychic Spy

• 1,863 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

Starcrash (1979) and Flash Gordon (1980) are both fantastic movies.

#45    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,097 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

Yes, "The 12 Monkeys" is one of the great films, in my opinion.

"Brazil" is also a good Science Fiction film. Both directed by Terry Gilliam.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users