Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Back from the Dead

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

Few creatures have ever existed that can match the sheer weirdness of Australia’s gastric brooding frog. As the name suggests, the amphibian had the strange ability to reproduce offspring in its stomach. The female would release a cloud of eggs, the male would fertilize them, and then the female swallowed the eggs whole. At that point, the female ceased making digestive acids and her stomach became, essentially, a womb. A few weeks would pass, and then the female would open her mouth and a batch of babies would issue forth. Think of it as the swampland version of Zeus birthing Athena out of his forehead: a beast that pukes its young into the world.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

I am so glad women don't have to do it that way!! Imagine! LOL

And now they are going to clone them cause they are becoming extincted. I'm not sure I agree with cloning...too many ethical implications...

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#3    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

The passenger pigeon, the Steller's sea cow, and maybe the thylacine probably wouldn't cause much harm, but when you start bringing back dinosaurs, heck, yes.  The morality of doing that I would have to question.

#4    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:48 AM

I'd be worried about upsetting the ecological balance.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#5    Scheming B

Scheming B

Monster Slayer

• 4,736 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

Yeah i dont care for morality, but bringing something nature wanted dead seems like a bad idea

Stop being frightened. You only see a monster because they want you to see monsters everywhere. They've conditioned you to look for monsters in every shadow, every coat hung on every door. As long as we keep seeing monsters, we'll continue to need protection and that's how other people get to control our lives.

#6    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,105 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:18 AM

I don't think nature actually wanted anything extinct as nature seems indifferent. I think recreating extinct species to study in controlled environments would be extremely cool

#7    Scheming B

Scheming B

Monster Slayer

• 4,736 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:23 AM

If nature didn't want it dead then it wouldn't have died.  Natural selection is what I mean when I say "nature wanted"

Stop being frightened. You only see a monster because they want you to see monsters everywhere. They've conditioned you to look for monsters in every shadow, every coat hung on every door. As long as we keep seeing monsters, we'll continue to need protection and that's how other people get to control our lives.

#8    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,105 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:39 AM

View PostSkepticalB, on 05 September 2013 - 04:23 AM, said:

If nature didn't want it dead then it wouldn't have died.  Natural selection is what I mean when I say "nature wanted"
Point taken. Maybe i'm just nitpicking but imprecise language(which I am as guilty of as any)leads to misunderstanding. Natural selection was not the only cause of extinctions unless you consider extinction level events like killer asteroids or super volcanoes to be natural selection in action

I still think this is a cool idea

Edited by spacecowboy342, 05 September 2013 - 05:41 AM.

#9    Scheming B

Scheming B

Monster Slayer

• 4,736 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

I actually do consider it part of natural selection.  Asteroids n **** happen in nature, so the ability to adapt is part of it.

#10    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,105 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

View PostSkepticalB, on 05 September 2013 - 05:46 AM, said:

I actually do consider it part of natural selection.  Asteroids n **** happen in nature, so the ability to adapt is part of it.
Kind of hard to adapt to death from space, I would think. I just mean to differentiate between things like evolving behaviors or physical attributes that give reproductery advantage from just bad luck to have lived at a moment of cataclysm. I agree either way it's natural. Still don't see the harm in bringing back old species for study of their behaviors

#11    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

I agree with Spacecowboy, many animals became extincted because of us.

I do think the idea is appealing, and who wouldn't like Jurassic Park to be real....but that ethical question is always there.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#12    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,891 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

But as in Jurassic Park, they couldn't control the dinosaurs and we wouldn't be able to either. The big ones would go wherever they want and destroy anything in their paths.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#13    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 05 September 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

But as in Jurassic Park, they couldn't control the dinosaurs and we wouldn't be able to either. The big ones would go wherever they want and destroy anything in their paths.
##

I still would love to visit Jurassic Park..imagine that....but ethically I don't think it's right cause in the wrong hands it makes me think of 'what's next?'.

#14    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,105 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

Maybe not a theme park but a research center could yield tons of knowledge. If not dinosaurs imagine resurrecting Homo Erectus or Austalopithecines

#15    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 05 September 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

Maybe not a theme park but a research center could yield tons of knowledge. If not dinosaurs imagine resurrecting Homo Erectus or Austalopithecines

That research centre would be better than a theme park for me! Imagine being able to see with your own eyes all those creatures that disappeared long ago.

It's either cloning or a time machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users