Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dog cocked leg to extinguish bomb

blitz juliana great dane bomb

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,669 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Story of brave dog that extinguished Nazi incendiary bomb during Blitz by urinating on it is uncovered after bravery medal awarded to the animal is discovered.

Juliana, a Great Dane, leapt into action after the device fell through the roof of her owner's house in 1941.

It is thought that she put out the flames by standing over the bomb, lifting her leg and emptying her bladder.

http://www.telegraph...-Nazi-bomb.html

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,943 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

But female dogs don't hike their leg. :unsure2:

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

Great Danes are like that. That's why I have one. But are they sure "Juliana" shouldn't have been a "Julian?"

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#4    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

I have a few problems with this report, quite apart from Juliana's gender.

It seems the author has no conception of the ferocity of a 4lb iron thermite (the Luftwaffe preferred 'filling') incendiary bomb which peaks at around 2500DegC! I find it difficult to imagine even a Great Dane being able to straddle that! Napalm would have been even more unfortunate for the poor dog, as water (urine in this case) cannot extinguish it, only spread it.

There was a delayed-action high-explosive version (designed to kill firefighters and rescue workers) But I can't see how dog pee would have prevented its eventual detonation.

Nice story though.

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,943 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

ealdwita is so shmart.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#6    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,344 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

I get the feeling what may actually have happend is that the bomb was a dud, and since the dog reacted to it so quickly - and the bomb subsequently did not go off, the owners thought the dog
defused it...

The Ministry of Defense - seeing a golden opportunity (pardon the pun) to lift morale a bit, went along with it (since it seems they would have known better) and awarded the dog a medal...

#7    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,317 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

IIRC, the Brits kept buckets of sand on hand because water (and dog pee, presumably) was useless against incendiaries. But a nice story.

#8    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,669 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Seeing as the dog was a 'she' it's obvious the "cocked leg" part is incorrect. Anyway, here's an update:

A medal awarded to a dog in World War II for extinguishing a bomb by urinating on it has been sold at auction for £1,100.

The 1941 Blue Cross medal was found in a property clearance in Bristol along with a painting of Great Dane Juliana.

A plaque on it describes how the dog put out an incendiary bomb dropped by the Luftwaffe on her owner's home.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ristol-23985116

Posted Image

#9    Realm

Realm

• 2,022 posts

• "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
    Albert Einstein

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Marmaduke would be proud.

Also tagged with blitz, juliana, great dane, bomb

0 user(s) are reading this topic