Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

raising minimum wage does not reduce poverty

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#271    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:40 AM

Bush was what is sometimes called a "Main Street" Republican, typical of small business owners and not, unlike many Democrats, inclined to have policies that favor big business over small business (Democrats deny this but it is an effect of their regulatory and financial policies).

Therefore Bush opposed minimum wages, in spite of the political advantage.  They really are stupid and I think only stupid people support them -- generally because they in their short-sightedness see themselves getting more money.  What happens instead is that growth is slowed, small businesses suffer, people get pushed into part-time, and investment in machinery that eliminates such jobs becomes worthwhile.

Minimum wages are an effort to defeat the market, like building dams is an effort to defeat the weather.  As such they sometimes seem to work, and can work for extended periods if done intelligently and selectively and, most important, moderately, but that is not what happens and instead they are done ham-fistedly (actually one is better off with no such artificial efforts).

#272    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:01 AM

Currently from what I am reading the fast food industry is paying above minimum wage in certain markets, because they can't find any workers.  Why do you want to punish those who are working forw more than minimum wage.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#273    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,926 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

View Postdanielost, on 14 September 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

Currently from what I am reading the fast food industry is paying above minimum wage in certain markets, because they can't find any workers.  Why do you want to punish those who are working forw more than minimum wage.

The only reason people debate the minimum wage laws is because of purchasing power of the currency and how it relates to said Nation.

As the US$  depreciates other national economies will experience a boom and most others a bust....   Its a game of leverage.  Everybody wants to be in american dollars as a safe  guard to protect their interests even thou its a risk.  

America has the guns.  It defends freedom...... the so-called patriotic freedom sold on sitcom, movies and toys.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#274    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,130 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:58 AM

View PostF3SS, on 13 September 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

Consumers will. I don't like paying $5.80 for a value wall now and I rarely do. Make it $6.80 and it'll be even rarer that I pay if ever at all. And I won't be alone in that and your job will be on the line because of it.
A dollar raise wouldn't require more than a dime cost increase and people might be able to make ends meet without foodstamps. Get over it

#275    Solipsi Rai

Solipsi Rai

...from the Desert...

• 2,865 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:56 AM

View Postdanielost, on 14 September 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

Starting wages for new employees in fast food and retail remain at state minimum wage level. In Southern CA where I'm from, the effect of mass immigration of mainly younger low-skilled workers (esp. farm laborers) reduced average incomes of some regions and drove down wages in a high percentage of local jobs. True, wages tend to be higher in major cities (the L.A. and SF Bay areas) or along the CA coasts, where the average incomes and cost of living are significantly higher. The state's Central (San Joaquin and Sacramento) Valleys, Inland Empire-Deserts and the Sierras/Cascades have a less affluent economic and demographic profile, due to the prevalence of agricultural work and prominence of housing construction in those growing markets (before the Great Recession struck them hard).

Edited by Mike D boy, 20 October 2013 - 02:56 AM.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#276    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,926 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:32 AM

The true minimum wage is zero.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#277    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,655 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

View Postacidhead, on 20 October 2013 - 05:32 AM, said:

The true minimum wage is zero.

slavery has officially been abolished... now we are working on indentured servitude...

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#278    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 20 October 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

slavery has officially been abolished... now we are working on indentured servitude...

Tell that to people in Africa and Asia ;)

#279    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 20 October 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Tell that to people in Africa and Asia ;)

Or the sex slaves here in the usa.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users