Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

GMO should be labeled if not banned

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

Why?

"If I had the choice I would certainly not eat it (GMO)…I find it's very unfair to use our fellow citizens as guinea pigs". Arpad Pusztai

Árpád Pusztai (8 September 1930) is a Hungarian-born biochemist and nutritionist who spent 36 years at the Rowett Research Institute in Aberdeen, Scotland. He is a world expert on plant lectins, authoring 270 papers and three books on the subject. In 1998 Pusztai publicly announced that the results of his research showed feeding genetically modified potatoes to rats had negative effects on their stomach lining and immune system. This led to Pusztai being suspended and his annual contract was not renewed. The resulting controversy became known as the Pusztai affair.

http://en.wikipedia....Árpád_Pusztai

I dont see why GM food isnt labeled.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Still Waters, 06 September 2013 - 11:03 AM.
Added source link

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

Says the man who goes to bed with a full belly every evening.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 37,017 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostRafterman, on 06 September 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Says the man who goes to bed with a full belly every evening.

Show me one GMO food product where the amount harvested is greater than the previous amounts  of convetional products.

The only thing that has changed is that the farmer has one work cycle less: the mechanical removal of weeds between the crop.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,386 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 06 September 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

Show me one GMO food product where the amount harvested is greater than the previous amounts  of convetional products.

The only thing that has changed is that the farmer has one work cycle less: the mechanical removal of weeds between the crop.
Corn for, example:

Both are important, and GE has had limited success in enhancing operational yield by reducing losses caused by insect pests.
(link)

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

#5    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,626 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Right, they stop insects from eating the corn by making it toxic to them. Yea thats something we should all be eating.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#6    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,639 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

I'm not a fan of GMO by any stretch. If we aren't going to ban it we should at least have it labeled. Organic is labeled, various food additives are labeled.. though not enough of the processing agents are labeled IMO. So yeah, GMO/GE should be labeled too. A lot of people are already far too unaware of what they are eating, and I think there should be more transparency to all food operations.

#7    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,386 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 06 September 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

Right, they stop insects from eating the corn by making it toxic to them. Yea thats something we should all be eating.
Here is the bit you have to read: Dietary pesticides.
Do you want to eat natural carcinogens, clastogens, etc?
Why pests in nature eat this, but not that? Cause that would kill them. And you are eating natural products that would kill some pests.

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

#8    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 7,727 posts

• Oops.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

View Postrashore, on 06 September 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

I'm not a fan of GMO by any stretch. If we aren't going to ban it we should at least have it labeled. Organic is labeled, various food additives are labeled.. though not enough of the processing agents are labeled IMO. So yeah, GMO/GE should be labeled too. A lot of people are already far too unaware of what they are eating, and I think there should be more transparency to all food operations.
Organic isn't so much labeled, as it's advertised. You don't have to prove something is organic before marking something organic.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#9    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,386 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

All people (and their relatives) working on GMOs are eating the same "GMO infested" food (without labeling they don't know what is what), hence they are trying to make it safe. What labeling would solve? And organic labeling? Its just to empty your pocket... Ask 31 dead Germans whether they died with smiles on their faces knowing it didn't came from non-organic farm...

BTW, I don't give a rats munch about E free labeling, same poo, just on the other shoe...

#10    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,639 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

Somehow I knew using the term organic wouldn't go over well, but it is indeed a label that is used. I'm serious though that I think foods should be completely labeled- like animal products should have listed what chemicals and feeds are used, and not just as advertising. If meat is rinsed in a chemical to make it safer to eat, that should be listed. There are guidelines in some processed foods that allow for a certain percentage of "other" like insect parts or mouse droppings, that should be labeled. Heck, if I had my way about it, your can of corn would have the variety of corn in the label, or your bag of baby spinach would list the variety too. The waxes used on some produce should be noted either on the sign or on the sticker.
There's a lot of hidden things in commercial foods that I'm not too thrilled about and really wish was made clearer to the consumer.

I'm not a fan of GMO/GE. but so what? Some people don't care too. Sure I would like it if it wasn't used at all, but since it is, I would really prefer it to be on the label. That way people who care about it or not can at least make an informed decision.

And the E. coli outbreak... That's another huge problem I have with the commercial food industry. Lack of testing, or sometimes when there is testing, a food producer chooses to take the chance that, well, maybe a few people might get sick, and maybe there might be legal repercussions, but they still sell the product because the sales might actually exceed any fiscal trouble they get into. And sometimes it's just unnecessary crappy farming practices that really shouldn't be happening.

#11    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 7,727 posts

• Oops.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

Somehow I knew using the term organic wouldn't go over well, but it is indeed a label that is used.
Do you understand the reason it doesn't go over well is because it's a marketing tool and doesn't really reflect true "organic" farming?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#12    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

Wonderfully said.

Big Bad Voodoo

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#13    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

View Postrashore, on 06 September 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

Somehow I knew using the term organic wouldn't go over well, but it is indeed a label that is used. I'm serious though that I think foods should be completely labeled- like animal products should have listed what chemicals and feeds are used, and not just as advertising. If meat is rinsed in a chemical to make it safer to eat, that should be listed. There are guidelines in some processed foods that allow for a certain percentage of "other" like insect parts or mouse droppings, that should be labeled. Heck, if I had my way about it, your can of corn would have the variety of corn in the label, or your bag of baby spinach would list the variety too. The waxes used on some produce should be noted either on the sign or on the sticker.
There's a lot of hidden things in commercial foods that I'm not too thrilled about and really wish was made clearer to the consumer.

I'm not a fan of GMO/GE. but so what? Some people don't care too. Sure I would like it if it wasn't used at all, but since it is, I would really prefer it to be on the label. That way people who care about it or not can at least make an informed decision.

And the E. coli outbreak... That's another huge problem I have with the commercial food industry. Lack of testing, or sometimes when there is testing, a food producer chooses to take the chance that, well, maybe a few people might get sick, and maybe there might be legal repercussions, but they still sell the product because the sales might actually exceed any fiscal trouble they get into. And sometimes it's just unnecessary crappy farming practices that really shouldn't be happening.

Not that Im not fan. Im against it.
French scientists got one result. Arpad same. Poles same. Yet only USA and UK scientists got different results.
Well gravity can be messured everywhere. Not just in USA.

Big Bad Voodoo

#14    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,639 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 06 September 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

Do you understand the reason it doesn't go over well is because it's a marketing tool and doesn't really reflect true "organic" farming?

Yep, absolutely. I have an organic yard and some of the organic stuff really irritates me as much as some of the GMO/GE stuff does. But since the thread is about GMO/GE and not organic, I didn't want to get too into my frustration about that. I was merely using it as an example of a label currently being used. Other labels that are used that frustrate me are ones that refer to fat content, reduced salt or sugar, sugar free, "real" food product X being advertised... Most of those can be misleading too. So can serving size amounts listed on some food packaging. One of my top pet peeves in food right now is Kobe beef, but this thread is really not the place for that horrid scam.
I wish a lot of commercial food action was more transparent, and I think GMO/GE should indeed be included in that.

#15    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,386 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

Gdammit... I'm just about to press Post... all is gone ..
Lets try again

Somehow I knew using the term organic wouldn't go over well, but it is indeed a label that is used. I'm serious though that I think foods should be completely labeled- like animal products should have listed what chemicals and feeds are used, and not just as advertising. If meat is rinsed in a chemical to make it safer to eat, that should be listed. [...]
Our ancestors smoked meat without giving rats munch about carcinogens, and what? If they would've started to ask same questions, and apply precautionary principle back then, we (me/you) would be extinct.

[...] There are guidelines in some processed foods that allow for a certain percentage of "other" like insect parts or mouse droppings[...]
Have you seen such labels? No? You do realize, that you are wearing poo material on your daily clothes? With all consequecies...

[...]Heck, if I had my way about it, your can of corn would have the variety of corn in the label, or your bag of baby spinach would list the variety too. [...]
How you imagine single mills suited for particular variety of corn/wheat/rye around the country?

[...] I would really prefer it to be on the label. [...]
Simple, don't buy products with corn and corn derivatives. Is corn labeled as ingredient?

[...] And the E. coli outbreak... That's another huge problem I have with the commercial food industry. Lack of testing, or sometimes when there is testing, a food producer chooses to take the chance that, well, maybe a few people might get sick, and maybe there might be legal repercussions, but they still sell the product because the sales might actually exceed any fiscal trouble they get into. And sometimes it's just unnecessary crappy farming practices that really shouldn't be happening.
Wait, wait, wait... What testing do you expect from organics? What varieties they are growing (should be labeled)? And all natural substances harmfull to human consumption (should be labeled)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users