Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Russia: "Britain just a small island"

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#16    Bloodflower

Bloodflower

Poltergeist

• 2,467 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

For a small island it's had such an major influence on the world and not to mention it had a vast empire!

"When a wolf doesn't want to do something, they look really cute!"
Michelle Paver

#17    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

View PostKaa-Tzik, on 06 September 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Last time I checked Britain was not an ally of Serbia and never have been. Perhaps you should ask the British troops who served in Bosnia and Kosovo about this. And you seem to be a Russian supporting Croat, so I think a dialogue between you and Helen of Annoy would be entertaining, particulary as it's been rather quite around here of late.

Well you didnt checked well. Im not Russian supporting anything. I like history of Soviet union and thats it. Also like Boyars. Same as I like Ancient Egypt.
I dont wont to turn this thread into England Balkan thing. But if you desire so I will proove you otherwise.
Holland, Norway, Britain, France, Russia from start of Yugoslavia wars were for Serbs. Later that change because they saw what was realy happening. And because USA, Vatican, Austria, Germany, etc. hold Croatian side. But when British saw that USA choose Croatian interests over UK that was a crucial point when British start to change policy. They knew they lost their plans. They are weak to fight politicly USA and Germany.
About Helen, so far as I debated with her only on two things we dont agree. And those are- origin of Bosniaks and who are rebels in Syria.
On all others we agree 100%. So...I like to focus on positive things. If you focus on negative things you would not have friends.

Big Bad Voodoo

edit: And we debated a lot.

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo, 06 September 2013 - 04:31 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#18    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

View Postodas, on 06 September 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

First, Putin is a dushbag.
Second, Britain might be small compared to russia but as they say, it is not the size, its how you use it. I love Britain, love the people, the history, most of all the old pubs.
But, you are right regarding Britains government during the balkan wars. They sided with the serbs. But not the people. They new.
Britain and France, read gevernment, had a good relationship with russia, the main supporter of Milosevic. Both countries sabotaged every attempt of USA to attack the serbian position and end the genozide in Croatia and Bosnia.
That costed C and B dearly. Anyway, I used to be angry about that but not anymore.

I think that birds on tree knows that my odas. Sadly for British goverment their plans were melted.
Also ,I too like British culture. Common people didnt know what was happening.  Even in today british media we dont see all news about Croatia which every other country announced. But we touch history and Balkan here.
I think some members here (British) are not naive or anything. They are just not informed.

Big Bad Voodoo

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#19    Elfin

Elfin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

I think the British are loved around the world for their warm friendly manner and their open welcoming nature, their cuisine, and their self-deprecating sense of humour.

#20    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,391 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostElfin, on 06 September 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

I think the British are loved around the world for their warm friendly manner and their open welcoming nature, their cuisine, and their self-deprecating sense of humour.

Not to mention their humility. :P

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#21    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

Hi Stevo!

I disagree with you that British are greater Economic power then Russia.I would like to know where you conclude that British are 5th economy of the world? Thats hilarious.
I think that British are not that BIG economic power at all. You stated that having democracy made you power. Thats nothing.
And no-London is not largest financial centre whatsoever.New York is biggest I think. You ignored Frankfurt, Paris, Hong Kong, Bombay, Mumbai, Amsterdam, Sao Paolo, Seoul and Zurich. What does it mean member of common wealth. Thats legacy of British empire which is what Im talking about,
Many nations are EU members, NATO members, WTO members.As Croatia. Does that mean that we are power? No.
And Pakistan is also Nuclear state. Is Pakistan power?
About your ranking in science I dont have clue what you talking about. But it looks funny. No offence.
And...what about invention of WWW? I dont see any point why you said that at all.
Your culture is not worthy more of Chinese culture. Your media isnt worthy more then French media. Your architecture isnt worthy more then others.
Your sports also doesnt made you super power. And sorry Chinese and Spanish are most spoken languages. I dont know where you got this info about English language.
Ability to project force around world? On that we could debate.
Anyway, thats your view. Truth is something quite different.

Big Bad Voodoo

#22    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostElfin, on 06 September 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

No doubt. I like football a lot. Fans are great. Beers. I like culture. Customs, language, landscape, people, tradition, tea, humour. Its all good.
But I think that British loosing leadership of world super powers.
Oh I like music a lot.

#23    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 06 September 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Hi Stevo!

I disagree with you that British are greater Economic power then Russia.I would like to know where you conclude that British are 5th economy of the world? Thats hilarious.
I think that British are not that BIG economic power at all. You stated that having democracy made you power. Thats nothing.
And no-London is not largest financial centre whatsoever.New York is biggest I think. You ignored Frankfurt, Paris, Hong Kong, Bombay, Mumbai, Amsterdam, Sao Paolo, Seoul and Zurich. What does it mean member of common wealth. Thats legacy of British empire which is what Im talking about,
Many nations are EU members, NATO members, WTO members.As Croatia. Does that mean that we are power? No.
And Pakistan is also Nuclear state. Is Pakistan power?
About your ranking in science I dont have clue what you talking about. But it looks funny. No offence.
And...what about invention of WWW? I dont see any point why you said that at all.
Your culture is not worthy more of Chinese culture. Your media isnt worthy more then French media. Your architecture isnt worthy more then others.
Your sports also doesnt made you super power. And sorry Chinese and Spanish are most spoken languages. I dont know where you got this info about English language.
Ability to project force around world? On that we could debate.
Anyway, thats your view. Truth is something quite different.

Big Bad Voodoo

No offence BBV, but google is your friend, and most of the things you have posted you could have easily looked up.

For example, as of March 2013 the Global Financial Centers Index listed London as number 1. Our regulation makes it easier to move money you see ;) Spanish is not more commonly spoken then English, it has only half the amount of English peakers (500 million against 1000 million), of which English is second only to Chinese. Our nuclear arsenal has to be taken into account along side other means of exercising influence, of which our strategically placed listening posts around the globe are of use to many people and the information gained from these is of use to many nations. If you look through the rest of what you said you'll see the same errors - media for example, how is the BBC world service surpassed by the french exactly?

Edited by Sky Scanner, 06 September 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#24    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 06 September 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

No offence BBV, but google is your friend, and most of the things you have posted you could have easily looked up.

For example, as of March 2013 the Global Financial Centers Index listed London as number 1. Our regulation makes it easier to move money you see ;) Spanish is not more commonly spoken then English, it has only half the amount of English peakers (500 million against 1000 million), of which English is second only to Chinese. Our nuclear arsenal has to be taken into account along side of other means of exercising influence, of which our strategically placed listening posts around the globe are of use to many people and the information gained from these is of use to many nations. If you look through the rest of what you said you'll see the same errors - media for example, how is the BBC world service surpassed by the french exactly?

Call me rather Voodoo.
Yes Skyscanner, economy isnt exact science. Its constantly changing. Its not like you doing experiment in lab. GDP for instance isnt ultimate messure. Many things must took into account. Many. Germany, China, Brazil, Russia, India, Japan are economic powers. Not UK. Sure you have huge economy but its not something superpowers cared about.
Media isnt just BBC. Media is music, movies.... Al jazeera is also media. Media have power. But superpowers dont care about British media at all. Its irelavnt. I didnt made errors at all.
Yes you can pump your muscles because you are nuke power, but when you stumble upoun nation who is also nuke power you are irelvant. Like to Russia, China or India. And maybe Brazil.(?)

And yes, google is my friend.
http://en.wikipedia....native_speakers
:tu:

Big Bad Voodoo

edit: No offence taken.

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo, 06 September 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#25    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

We all know who is boss in Europe? And that isnt UK.
How will you be boss in the world when you are not in own house?! Imho.

Big Bad Voodoo

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo, 06 September 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#26    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 3,194 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 06 September 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

Well you didnt checked well. Im not Russian supporting anything. I like history of Soviet union and thats it. Also like Boyars. Same as I like Ancient Egypt.
I dont wont to turn this thread into England Balkan thing. But if you desire so I will proove you otherwise.
Holland, Norway, Britain, France, Russia from start of Yugoslavia wars were for Serbs. Later that change because they saw what was realy happening. And because USA, Vatican, Austria, Germany, etc. hold Croatian side. But when British saw that USA choose Croatian interests over UK that was a crucial point when British start to change policy. They knew they lost their plans. They are weak to fight politicly USA and Germany.
About Helen, so far as I debated with her only on two things we dont agree. And those are- origin of Bosniaks and who are rebels in Syria.
On all others we agree 100%. So...I like to focus on positive things. If you focus on negative things you would not have friends.

Big Bad Voodoo

edit: And we debated a lot.
Agree with all. However, I do not know what you debated with Helen about the origin of Bosniaks but if you have followed the croatian or serbian history in that regard then you are likely wrong. Again, dont know the details but I know what Helen usualy sais and she is pretty objective. Anyway, not the point of this thread bu as a bosniak I had to pitch in my two cents.
And now something completely different. Good luck England, Bosnia and Croatia at the qualifiers today. Love ya all.

#27    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 06 September 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

Call me rather Voodoo.
Yes Skyscanner, economy isnt exact science. Its constantly changing. Its not like you doing experiment in lab. GDP for instance isnt ultimate messure. Many things must took into account. Many. Germany, China, Brazil, Russia, India, Japan are economic powers. Not UK. Sure you have huge economy but its not something superpowers cared about.
Media isnt just BBC. Media is music, movies.... Al jazeera is also media. Media have power. But superpowers dont care about British media at all. Its irelavnt. I didnt made errors at all.
Yes you can pump your muscles because you are nuke power, but when you stumble upoun nation who is also nuke power you are irelvant. Like to Russia, China or India. And maybe Brazil.(?)

And yes, google is my friend.
http://en.wikipedia....native_speakers
:tu:

Big Bad Voodoo

Yes, when I said google is your friend, I assumed you would look at up-to-date info, so here you go:

http://www.krysstal.com/spoken.html

...but if you was to include second languages, or most commonly taught, it would be number 1. :tu:

You say UK isn't the most influential economy, it is pointed out to you that those that asses these things put it at number 1...so you move and say economies keep moving? and? that's how all economies work.....the question was whether London holds influence, it does, as shown...so what's your point?

...and Superpowers don't care about economy? do what! It is everything to them, as it drives everything else they do, and the influence they have on other nations.

Superpowers don't care about British Media? well then Iran won't mind allowing the BBC back in again then will they....afterall, media means nothing to any of the big players, right?

#28    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

View Postodas, on 06 September 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

Agree with all. However, I do not know what you debated with Helen about the origin of Bosniaks but if you have followed the croatian or serbian history in that regard then you are likely wrong. Again, dont know the details but I know what Helen usualy sais and she is pretty objective. Anyway, not the point of this thread bu as a bosniak I had to pitch in my two cents.
And now something completely different. Good luck England, Bosnia and Croatia at the qualifiers today. Love ya all.

Oh dont bring it up again. :w00t:
We agreed that we disagree. I understand Origin of Bosniaks very well. And my view differs from yours and Helen about it. Differs a lot.
Anyway, no matter where is your origin we agree mostly about rest of it. I know its hard to you to take that we have same origin. But we do. Same as Serbs and Croats were probably once same tribe. Same as we all came from Africa.
When Ottomans came in Bosnia-in Bosnia lived 700 000 Croats-Catholics, 30 000 Serbs Orthodox 30 000 Bogumils who are ethnicity______ (I left it out on purpose-fill what you like)

Big Bad Voodoo

#29    Elfin

Elfin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

It would appear that the UK is 6th in the world by nominal GDP, according to most lists.

https://en.wikipedia...by_GDP_(nominal)#Lists

Slightly behind France (which has a slightly bigger population), but way ahead of Russia, which has a massively bigger population.

For a small island the UK certainly performs better than one might expect, in all categories. All those above it are bigger, both in terms of area and population.

#30    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 3,194 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 06 September 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

Oh dont bring it up again. :w00t:
We agreed that we disagree. I understand Origin of Bosniaks very well. And my view differs from yours and Helen about it. Differs a lot.
Anyway, no matter where is your origin we agree mostly about rest of it. I know its hard to you to take that we have same origin. But we do. Same as Serbs and Croats were probably once same tribe. Same as we all came from Africa.
When Ottomans came in Bosnia-in Bosnia lived 700 000 Croats-Catholics, 30 000 Serbs Orthodox 30 000 Bogumils who are ethnicity______ (I left it out on purpose-fill what you like)

Big Bad Voodoo
Hi L. I knew you sounded familiar.
No problem leave it byside. Not a thread for it. But we can discuss the mention of Bosnia and the term bosniacs mentiond by the Romans about 2500 years ago sometimes in another thread.
FOCUS on the soccer games now. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users