Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    ambelamba

ambelamba

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

English is not my first language. I am still struggling. I try to write stuff but I am never satisfied with it. In fact, I've been struggling to write some scripts.

For a long time, I've been fascinated with Handmaid's Tale. But for a very wrong reason. When I was a fervent Christian the novel somehow resonated with my dark, twisted, and repressed mind. But years later I broke free from the shackles of Christianity. But my fascination with Atwood's novel still remained, with a totally different perspective.

Since then I really wanted to make a version/adaptation of the novel into a script.

But...I don't think Ms. Atwood will never, ever approve the version I envision. My version is not much about feminism, but it's about a loving and kind man who had his beautiful wife stolen to the theocratic regime.

And here comes the dopey part. The name of the male character is actually based on a Buddhist deity. And his character is based on an existing Japanese intellectual property. From a notorious Japanese pop culture franchise.

In the story, the man's wife is taken by the soldiers of the Republic of Gilead. And he is brutally beaten and eventually murdered. And it happens at the beginning of the movie.

Then, it is revealed that a vastly powerful, just, and wise alien race has been watching over our world. They were not allowed to intervene because of the quarantine, but they manage to lift the quarantine using political and diplomatic means. Their agents, observing the death of the man, decide to use him as their instrument.

They revive him, and makes him one of them. And there's a slight trivial problem.

The alien race happens to look exactly like demons traditionally depicted by Christianity. Bat wings, horns, tails, red skin...you name it, they have it. Cherry on top, their choice of weapon looks strangely similar to a pitchfork.

Fueled by rage and vengeance, the man rises up and wage a war against the Christian regime with his demonic form.

His name is Akira Fudo. And people call him....Devilman.

#2    eight bits

eight bits

• 7,628 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

Ms. Atwood's literary agent in the US and Canada is Phoebe Larmore, in Venice (the one near you). Why not drop her a line? But for this bit,

The alien race happens to look exactly like demons traditionally depicted by Christianity. Bat wings, horns, tails, red skin...you name it, they have it. Cherry on top, their choice of weapon looks strangely similar to a pitchfork.
Isn't that Childhood's End?

Edited by eight bits, 07 September 2013 - 03:44 PM.

Posted Image

#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

Yea -- as I was reading Ambelamba's post I was thinking "Childhood's End."  I suspect the idea has occurred independently to a number of authors.  There are some very demon-looking (by the standards of Western mythology) beasties in Buddhist mythology, especially in Tibet visiting the dead during their preparation for rebirth, but I always ascribed the similarity to Western influence.

#4    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,328 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

I think your English is great. Most people who have to learn English later in life do better than we who are native speakers. We get sloppy and pick up a lot of slang.   I know a lot of immigrants who don't take the time to learn English and are handicapped by it. I am impressed by your English and your efforts to learn to write it well.  
Yes please do a remake of "A Handmaids Tale."  I thought the first one stunk. I am a Sci Fi fan big time. IMO your story plan works for the book. I think  you could do a story of your own that would would work better than Atwoods  book.  I have a friend who wrote a book and published it herself online and is doing rather will with it.  Keep writing, what ever you do, my friend.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users