Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Putin orders massive strike against S. Arabia

russia syria saudi arabia war oil

  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1    Parsec

Parsec

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 214 posts
  • Joined:15 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

http://www.eutimes.n...-attacks-syria/

I don't know how much of what's written in the article is true, but it's at least scary, for all the implications and ramifications implied.

The situation is complicated.

We know (quite) for sure that chemical weapons have been used. We don't know (and maybe never will) for sure who used them.
What's sure, is that we're going in an extremely dangerous direction.
It looks like Damascus is really becoming the new Sarajevo (see War World I).
Let's hope not.

Maybe it's inappropriate to say, but at least once you knew why wars were started: invade, conquer and rule other countries, plain and simple.
Today?
Sell more oil?


#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

    hi

  • Member
  • 8,591 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

Russia wont, never in a million years, they learnt their mistake in Afghanistan


#3    Parsec

Parsec

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 214 posts
  • Joined:15 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Indeed. No troops, only long-range missiles this time!

Anyway, Russia should've learnt a lot of lessons from Cold War, but it looks like in the last 15 years Putin and his entourage have been slow learners


#4    Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko

    Who's to say what is proper?

  • Member
  • 3,002 posts
  • Joined:24 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:St. Olaf

  • "Is this your last best chance? Or are you going to your grave with unlived lives in your veins?"

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 07 September 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

Russia wont, never in a million years, they learnt their mistake in Afghanistan

Perhaps it isn't what the whole of Russia wants, but isn't Putin bullying gay people for sport recently? If that alone is true, I wouldn't count on him learning anything wise from past times. It seems as though we're inches closer to a big war.


#5    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

Putin has already said if we attack Syria, Russia will back them. It's a really bad situation, that could start World War III.


#6    TSS

TSS

    Observer

  • Closed
  • 5,750 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2008

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

He's been itching for a fight with the West lately....things must be bad at home...


#7    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 15,019 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostBurt Gummer, on 07 September 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

Putin has already said if we attack Syria, Russia will back them. It's a really bad situation, that could start World War III.
Yes, a conflagration could ensue but Putin has been quite clear that he was speaking of resupply of arms not actively going to war on Syria's behalf.

  We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 14,764 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

I think Putin is bluffing, but I also think he may succeed.


#9    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Joined:23 Aug 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

I don't believe this scenario would happen, but imagine if when the missiles come screaming in to Syria, some are shot down by Russian warships that now appear to be forming a picket line across the Eastern Med off the coast of Syria. Would that be an act of war? I don't know.

Edit, to add in the light of Frank's post above, could Putin politely suggest that any missiles flying over Russian fleet could be shot down, by accident of course. Cuba again....

and another edit to say that I do know that the missiles will come in from multiple directions, some from across Iraq and Jordan, Israel, Turkey.

Edited by Kaa-Tzik, 07 September 2013 - 05:47 PM.


#10    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 15,019 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostKaa-Tzik, on 07 September 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

I don't believe this scenario would happen, but imagine if when the missiles come screaming in to Syria, some are shot down by Russian warships that now appear to be forming a picket line across the Eastern Med off the coast of Syria. Would that be an act of war? I don't know.

Edit, to add in the light of Frank's post above, could Putin politely suggest that any missiles flying over Russian fleet could be shot down, by accident of course. Cuba again.....
True... probably an almost unlimited number of scenarios where the SHTF can happen.  But I think it will occur regardless whether we strike or not.  The difference will be in WHEN it happens.

  We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#11    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Joined:23 Aug 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

View Postand then, on 07 September 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

True... probably an almost unlimited number of scenarios where the SHTF can happen.  But I think it will occur regardless whether we strike or not.  The difference will be in WHEN it happens.
Probably before we think it will, and soon, but I still think the actual missile strike will be a flash in the pan, the repercussions, as you well know, are another matter.  Heavy missile cruiser Moskva arrives soon. As Peter the Great and Admiral Kuznetsov are in dock under long term re-building, sending Moskva is a serious move. I wonder how many Oscar II and Akulas have slipped through the Straights of Gibraltar, undetected, again....

Edited by Kaa-Tzik, 07 September 2013 - 06:12 PM.


#12    pallidin

pallidin

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,605 posts
  • Joined:09 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere south of the North Pole

  • "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

Just some thoughts...

I know that the use of chemical weapons is a serious violation no matter where. OK. Fine.

What I don't understand is why Putin doesn't go in and put a stop(or effective mitigation) to the escalating, morphing madness in Syria.

This is his problem, and that of the UN, not unilaterally that of the United States. Putin should be the one asking for our or other's help(if needed) to secure, remove and dispose of those chemical weapons, not the other way around.

Why Putin does not seem to feel this to be a serious matter simply baffles me.


#13    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Joined:23 Aug 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

View Postpallidin, on 07 September 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

Just some thoughts...

I know that the use of chemical weapons is a serious violation no matter where. OK. Fine.

What I don't understand is why Putin doesn't go in and put a stop(or effective mitigation) to the escalating, morphing madness in Syria.

This is his problem, and that of the UN, not unilaterally that of the United States. Putin should be the one asking for our or other's help(if needed) to secure, remove and dispose of those chemical weapons, not the other way around.

Why Putin does not seem to feel this to be a serious matter simply baffles me.
Tartus needs to be secured as a base, no matter which side wins. The impotance of Tartus cannot be overstated in any calculations and the situation needs to be handled in a very carefull manner, a manner that will seem baffling to some. Forget Assad or Shias or Sunnis in this calculation, think only of how Tartus can be saved and that is the base Russian position, all else is simply eye poking and going Yaa Boo.


#14    ealdwita

ealdwita

    Hwķt éoredmęcg

  • Member
  • 5,065 posts
  • Joined:08 Jun 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Éastcentingas , England

  • Hige sceal že heardra, heorte že cenre, mod sceal že mare, že ure męgen lytlaš.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

I have a nasty feeling that a large amount of poo is on its way towards a giant,wildly-spinning fan!

Edited by ealdwita, 07 September 2013 - 06:51 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#15    pallidin

pallidin

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,605 posts
  • Joined:09 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere south of the North Pole

  • "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostKaa-Tzik, on 07 September 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

Tartus needs to be secured as a base, no matter which side wins. The impotance of Tartus cannot be overstated in any calculations and the situation needs to be handled in a very carefull manner, a manner that will seem baffling to some. Forget Assad or Shias or Sunnis in this calculation, think only of how Tartus can be saved and that is the base Russian position, all else is simply eye poking and going Yaa Boo.

Interesting. I guess I didn't know that the Tartus base(in Syria) is, apparently, of major strategic importance to the Russians.

Edited by pallidin, 07 September 2013 - 06:48 PM.






Also tagged with russia, syria, saudi arabia, war, oil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users