Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Global warming? No, actually we're cooling

global warming global cooling ice sheet ocean ice

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 36,927 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

A cold Arctic summer has led to a record increase in the ice cap, leading experts to predict a period of global cooling.

There has been a 60 per cent increase in the amount of ocean covered with ice compared to this time last year, they equivalent of almost a million square miles.

In a rebound from 2012's record low an unbroken ice sheet more than half the size of Europe already stretches from the Canadian islands to Russia's northern shores, days before the annual re-freeze is even set to begin.

http://www.telegraph...scientists.html

Posted Image

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,777 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

Counter claims this
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=254190

#3    pateriot

pateriot

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

Obviously these scientists did not receive the memo that the global village idiot, Al Gore sent out.  "The debate is over on  man-made global warming..."

#4    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,035 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

View Postpateriot, on 08 September 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

Obviously these scientists did not receive the memo that the global village idiot, Al Gore sent out.  "The debate is over on  man-made global warming..."

I think that idiot has been replaced by the idiot John Kerry.    Cooling until at least the middle of the century and all those super-advanced models missed it.  How?  It has been level or cooling for the last twenty years but  that was just a minor anomaly too small to matter according to the big brains around here so I wonder what they'll say if it continues until mid-century?  How do the models, that we should destroy our economy over, not even hint at this?

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#5    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

Humans have survived before when it got really hot and when it got freezing cold, and they were cavemen wearing fur....I have no doubts we are so adaptable we can survive through practically anything.

Having said that, we do need to stop living like the Earth's resources are infinite, cause they are not, especially in the west where everything is so cheap we buy, break, throw away and buy again. We really need to improve our Re-use and Recycling skills....and of course, governments should help all public buildings and household get solar panels.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#6    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,027 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 08 September 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

A cold Arctic summer has led to a record increase in the ice cap, leading experts to predict a period of global cooling.

There has been a 60 per cent increase in the amount of ocean covered with ice compared to this time last year, they equivalent of almost a million square miles.

In a rebound from 2012's record low an unbroken ice sheet more than half the size of Europe already stretches from the Canadian islands to Russia's northern shores, days before the annual re-freeze is even set to begin.

http://www.telegraph...scientists.html
This is rebutted by the new NOAA annual report dated Aug 7 2013 which states that last year was one of the hottet on record, and temperatures of the permafrost reached record high values. Greenland's ice sheet was found to have melted at 4 times the average rate recorded between 1981 and 2010. While skeptics point out global temperatures have been leveling off in recent years, John P. Abraham, professor of thermal science at the university of St. Thomas in Minnesota says the NOAA report revealed systematic changes to Earth's overall climate."A lot of people claim that global warming has magically stopped, but the facts, and the Earth continue to disagree."
http://www.redorbit....-report-080713/

#7    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,035 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 08 September 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

This is rebutted by the new NOAA annual report dated Aug 7 2013 which states that last year was one of the hottet on record, and temperatures of the permafrost reached record high values. Greenland's ice sheet was found to have melted at 4 times the average rate recorded between 1981 and 2010. While skeptics point out global temperatures have been leveling off in recent years, John P. Abraham, professor of thermal science at the university of St. Thomas in Minnesota says the NOAA report revealed systematic changes to Earth's overall climate."A lot of people claim that global warming has magically stopped, but the facts, and the Earth continue to disagree."

So there is more ice because it is warmer? :-*

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,054 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 08 September 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

And the cold water from Greenland is the most probable cause of the faster freezing of the pole... it will continue for a few years- until the Greenland ice is gone... but by then the Prof will have moved because the water is up to his chin.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#9    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,027 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostMerc14, on 08 September 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

So there is more ice because it is warmer? :-*
Greenland's melting ice sheet combined with a cyclic reduction in solar activity can have a short term cooling effect.This doesn't mean the problem is solved.Google younger dryas to see the same effect at the end of the last ice age

#10    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,389 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

Complexity in a chaotic system.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

Looking at the levels of greenhouse gases -- not just CO2 -- and it makes sense that the atmosphere should be warming.  Variations in solar output and complications about the earth's orbit and the earth's albedo complicate matters, and may be that for periods we will get cooler, just not as much cooler as we would have otherwise.

One factor that I am curious about is the effect of water vapor in the air.  I know it is an even more potent greenhouse gas that CO2 (or at least because there is so much more of it, its net effect is greater).  As I understand it changes in humidity have less overall effect because the percentages are so much harder to alter -- having such a larger base, but I have heard that increasing evaporation may also be happening.

#12    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,389 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Sea ice continued its late-season summer decline through August at a near-average pace. Ice extent is still well above last year’s level, but below the 1981 to 2010 average. Open water was observed in the ice cover close to the North Pole, while in the Antarctic, sea ice has been at a record high the past few days.

Sea ice extent for August 2013 averaged 6.09 million square kilometers (2.35 million square miles). This was 1.03 million square kilometers (398,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 average for August, but well above the level recorded last year, which was the lowest September extent in the satellite record. Ice extent this August was similar to the years 2008 to 2010. These contrasts in ice extent from one year to the next highlight the year-to-year variability attending the overall, long-term decline in sea ice extent.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Not quite the impression the politically motivated telegraph article attempts to convey.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 08 September 2013 - 07:52 PM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#13    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,151 posts

• ראה

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

When you catch a fever, because you are sick, does not your body go through sudden cycles of hot and cold, in order to fight off the illness that is attacking it?

The earth is no different. She has the ability to fight off man, but only if the Lord of the Earth allows it, and on August 17, 2013, after the stage was arguably set the year before with record drought, the earth indeed "spoke," when the largest wildfire in the history of the Sierra Mountains laid waste in the "Gold Country" of California.

You were warned in advance, both where this would occur, including the day it would begin.

View PostRaptor Witness, on 07 December 2011 - 05:44 AM, said:

.......To the Lord of the Earth, who stands before all living things: Now, send your flaming sword to the West, where it was seen in the sky before my birth, and lay it upon the ground. As it melts the land, make Manifest Destiny a memory, to be replaced with a new hope, where the word "security" is meaningless.

View PostRaptor Witness, on 17 August 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

.....if I am forced or coerced into silence, the earth will speak for me, and she can make a lot of noise. She has no regard for men, except as instructed by the Lord of the Earth. Therefore, let her now read a line that is written upon the sword I have been given, spoken in a language that they will clearly understand. Let the letters glint in their eyes, so that they see through their blindness. Make waves with light, across the breadth of your face, until they are silent.

Posted Image

Edited by Raptor Witness, 09 September 2013 - 09:11 AM.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#14    BFB

BFB

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 08 September 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Not quite the impression the politically motivated telegraph article attempts to convey.

Br Cornelius

Completely agree. Again the media is spinning the truth. If you asked any scientist after last years Attic sea ice result, most of them would have said "next year we will see an increase"

Have this author heard of regression toward the mean. Doubt it, as he has probably never studied statistics.

Edited by BFB, 15 September 2013 - 02:47 PM.

"Its not true, before my brain says so" - BFB

#15    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,151 posts

• ראה

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

View PostRaptor Witness, on 15 September 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

The conservative right view the Earth as their personal toilet, without bothering to suspect that she might have a few royal flushes up her sleeve.

They should ask the U.S. military about the probability of this, because gambling the lives of seven billion is no small matter.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users