Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are you 100% anything?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Roy Perry

Roy Perry

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

#2    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

That was vaguely disturbing somehow, and I'm not quite sure what message you were trying to convey.

Am I 100% sure of anything?  Yes.  Yes I am.  I am 100% sure that I am a human being.

mostly

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#3    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 6,032 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

I'm 100% badass. B)

Also, what the hell was that?

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 08 September 2013 - 10:28 PM.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#4    TheVeryFirstDinosaur

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

Paranormal Investigator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

• Local Community Wizard

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

I'm 50 % man, 50 %...man.

#5    TheVeryFirstDinosaur

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

Paranormal Investigator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

• Local Community Wizard

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

this now a beta athiest thread

Attached Thumbnails

• Neckbeard+fedora+atheist+beta+thread+_4927cb1d8bd95ace4876a8d0f345958c.jpg

Edited by Shrine Builder, 08 September 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#6    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

50% horse, 50% donkey....so 100% mule

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#7    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,651 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:18 PM

I think what Ron says is true. Doubt is just as important as belief. I'm sure we've all known people who presume to be 100% sure of their belief or doubt. I would say a healthy mixture of both is more healthy than some stern, egocentric righteousness.

I also think some kind-hearted understanding of Mr. Ron Perry would go a long way in eliminating some of the more flippant and even cruel comments I read in his threads. Mr. Perry should be given the same respect we should give to everyone who posts here at UM.

Those who disrespect or do not take Mr. Perry's efforts with some compassion should spend a few days in his shoes. They may learn something about themselves.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#8    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,223 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:23 AM

View PostRoy Perry, on 08 September 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

Thank you for the post Roy!  I'm certainly not 100% - my walk is a real stumble - but I KEEP WALKING!

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#9    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,291 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

I am 100% agnostic Roy. I don't know.

I don't think that I'll ever know and, I don't think that I was ever 'meant' to know.

Some were 'blessed with their certainties', not me. :)

#10    Nighthawk9653

Nighthawk9653

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

• Remember what peace there may be in Silence.

Transit umbra, lux permanet

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:26 AM

Interesting...
But I don't really have anything to say. But now I do have something to think about :P

Two possibilities exist: Either we are all alone in the universe or we are not.
                                Both are equally terrifying.  -Arthur C. Clark

“Sometimes, I sit alone under the stars and think of the galaxies inside my heart, and truly wonder if anyone will ever want to make sense of all that I am.”
-Testy McTesterson

#11    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,863 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:39 AM

I have become 100% sure of three things since watching that video.

1. I'm 100% sure that I watched it to try and not blink through the whole thing.

2. I'm 100% sure I blinked right towards the end. (Dammit!) And now my eyes feel funny.

3. I'm 100% sure that you would get better responses if you typed the narrative rather than having Microsoft Sam speak it.

Posted Image

#12    _Only

_Only

• 6,675 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:58 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 09 September 2013 - 01:36 AM, said:

I am 100% agnostic Roy. I don't know.

I don't think that I'll ever know and, I don't think that I was ever 'meant' to know.

Some were 'blessed with their certainties', not me. :)

What he was getting at a little in there was that even those who claim to be 'blessed with their certainties' often do so out of pride, and aren't being completely truthful.

It is healthy to have doubt of something, or seeing it from an opposing viewpoint, because it opens you up to other possibilities and ways of seeing, and broadens your horizons, even if only for a glance of a 'what if'. This is something I have trouble doing with beliefs or opinions I hold. It's messages like his that are helpful in remembering.

I feel outside sources (as in sources other than your conscious self) come through in art, which is what you make in videos, Roy. I do the same, and enjoy the outlet, and seeing what may come up on the screen. I bet you do, too.

Edited by _Only, 09 September 2013 - 03:59 AM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#13    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,082 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:53 AM

I'm posting from my phone so I didn't watch the video. Based on other replies I will say that doubt is an essential part of faith. Without doubt, faith cannot be challenged, and without being challenged faith can never grow. I'm paraphrasing the main character from Life of Pi here, a movie I saw for the first time just a couple of days ago for the first time, and a movie I thought was really well done, particularly in how it approached matters of spirituality.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#14    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,863 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:29 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 09 September 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

I'm posting from my phone so I didn't watch the video. Based on other replies I will say that doubt is an essential part of faith. Without doubt, faith cannot be challenged, and without being challenged faith can never grow. I'm paraphrasing the main character from Life of Pi here, a movie I saw for the first time just a couple of days ago for the first time, and a movie I thought was really well done, particularly in how it approached matters of spirituality.
A little bit off topic but: I really enjoyed the movie too - but I wish they never revealed the truth. I would have preferred his fantasy to the reality.
It annoyed me because the reality could have made almost as good a movie as his coping mechanisms did.

Posted Image

#15    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

As far as religion, I think it is natural for humans to seek, to question, to want to verify, to explore. Yet, I believe there are 100% believers out there. They'd die for their god and subject their children to possible atrocities for their beliefs.

Does that mean a day never goes by where they think "god, are you even there?" No, I don't think that either.

I had a missionary tell me once, "I wish people wouldn't think of us as somehow supernaturally spiritual. Completely free of temptations and questions and doubt."

Religious belief is malleable, subjective, and very personal. It's subject to the believer: Mood, health, circumstances, peers, environment, influences, spouses, etc

Can a believer stay on a pretty much straight 100% belief path. Sure, but is it free of even occasional wavering. I don't believe it ever is for anyone.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users