Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mantis - Hexapod Walking Machine

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,692 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

Mantis - Hexapod Walking Machine

Ride This: An SUV-Size Insectoid Robot

In 2007, Matt Denton stopped on the side of the road near his home in Hampshire, England, to watch an excavator dig. The machines had fascinated him since childhood, but after years of designing control systems for animatronic Hollywood creatures, Denton saw the shovel-tipped boom through a more imaginative lens. “It was effectively the shape of a leg,” he says. “So I started to wonder: Would it be possible to buy six of them and attach them to a chassis?” Four years later, Denton can lumber around in a two-ton, nine-foot-tall robo-walker he calls the Mantis.

http://www.popsci.co.../2013-08/mantis

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,555 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

Great, next step,someone gives it an AI and we're all screwed

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users