Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Humans have stopped evolving

evolving natural selection sir david attenborough

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,041 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

Human beings have stopped evolving after becoming the only species to “put halt to natural selection of its own free will”, Sir David Attenborough has said, as he predicts the “cultural evolution” of the future.

http://www.telegraph...d-evolving.html

Posted Image

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,430 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Speaking as someone who doesn't have wisdom teeth I have to disagree.

#3    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

Great article, but I'm not so sure I agree. He mentioned we have stopped evolution when we started being able to raise 95% of the children we give birth to, but in many parts of the world the mortality rate of under 5s is still really high.

And this: "He also insisted he was grateful to live in the modern day, saying that things were likely to get worse with future generations looking back “at a world that was less crowded, full of natural wonders, and healthier.”.......I am seeing that now, looking at my grandparent's generation.

Edited by Aggie, 10 September 2013 - 10:45 AM.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,323 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

The evolutionary process hasn't been stopped...we've simply been able to change (and only somewhat) away from natural selection by the use of medical and technological advancements. Evolution has not been stopped in the least.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#5    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,675 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

POPULAR

Stopped evolving? There's plenty of people I know who have yet to start!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#6    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 10 September 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

Speaking as someone who doesn't have wisdom teeth I have to disagree.

My wisdom teeth never came in either. I'm not complaining though!

I forgot to put in my general reply:

Posted Image

Edited by Asadora, 10 September 2013 - 01:31 PM.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#7    WelshRed

WelshRed

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

Looking at some of my neighbours I'd have to say yes!!!

But seriously this is a dumb question, EVERYTHING continuously evolves... forever...
The Earth, Plants, Animals, The weather, The universe and of course everyones favourite topic THE CLIMATE

#8    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,801 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

Sir Attenborough is correct, all the Malthusian traps that have kept human overpopulation in check  have been removed by science and social engineering. One Telegraph reader (Veritas) posts a silver lining.

"What a frightening prospect - the underclass surviving to breed us all into mediocrity.  Fortunately the problem is self correcting.  Soon after the real people who produce things to pay taxes to keep these individuals on the benefits they need to stay alive cease to exist the underclass will very rapidly die out and the process can start all over again."

There, that's my politically incorrect post of the week.

#9    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

I believe he is arguing that we are indeed evolving quite rapidly but in a cultural sense, and natural selection has been diminished because the weakest are now often able to survive and even thrive. It is interesting that  through the use of technology, we have eroded the evolutionary impact of natural selection, but at the same time have greatly magnified cultural evolution. Thank you internet.

#10    ash68

ash68

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• It doesn't matter what you think you are,but what you think,you are
    Celsus

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

I agree in part,we've certainly slumped due to the reasons stated but not stopped,everything in nature naturally moves forward at various rates,our progress has definitely slowed I'm sure  but I have no solid evidence base (so I guess I should shut up)

#11    MyNameIsBriggs

MyNameIsBriggs

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

This upper class white guy tells you natural selection is over  while immigration brings all sorts of different cultures and some have lots of kids, and tend to have a lot less funds. I wonder how many kids this guy has.

Meanwhile in other countries some allah akbar guy has like 5 wives, and his sons immigrate to europe all the time and set up shop here. Their strict culture of religion that is tough to just stop the extremism in all those poor countries with p***ed off citizens that already hate Euro American troops everywhere. Don't even want to go into Israel and Palestine and all that nonsense.

Somewhere down the line we need to toughen up otherwise in 500 years the worlds not going to look like it does today. Greece and Rome disappeared along with the culture and it wasn't in just a day. The demographics change the culture changes. I'd be surprised if a lotta of European cultures survive, or if the American lifestyle does either.

#12    Rhino666

Rhino666

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

In Scotland they're still trying to develop speech. It's true... no one can understand them :cry:

Edited by Rhino666, 10 September 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#13    Rolci

Rolci

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

Have we stopped evolving? The answer is simple: http://www.the-scien...pt-to-Icy-Life/

#14    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

Based on the level of inexorable ignorance that is displayed by my brother-in-law on a daily basis, I would have to say the answer is, well, yes.

#15    Whisperer

Whisperer

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

• "Never challenge the Universe for it will respond"

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

About time someone with authoritative integrity voiced the obvious, love the responses so out on a limb here (trembles with fearful trepidation) because I am alive only because of medical science...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users