Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 9 votes

The disappearance of Ray Gricar

ray gricar

• Please log in to reply
2600 replies to this topic

#16    regi

regi

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

SuperSmith, on 16 September 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

With no body??

Since the location in question is a river, I don't think it's necessarily surprising that his body wasn't recovered.

(Sorry to have offered an opinion without support.)
I think the circumstances that weigh the most and point to suicide are: 1) he demonstrated depression (slept a lot...so much that his live-in girlfriend suggested that if he kept it up, he should see a doctor), 2) info. as to how to destroy a hard drive was searched on his home computer... together with the fact that his hard drive was recovered separate and indeed, the data couldn't be retrieved, and 3) he seemed to inexplicably take that day off and had apparently traveled to his last known location on his own accord.

#17    SuperSmith

SuperSmith

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

regi, on 16 September 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

Since the location in question is a river, I don't think it's necessarily surprising that his body wasn't recovered.

(Sorry to have offered an opinion without support.)
I think the circumstances that weigh the most and point to suicide are: 1) he demonstrated depression (slept a lot...so much that his live-in girlfriend suggested that if he kept it up, he should see a doctor), 2) info. as to how to destroy a hard drive was searched on his home computer... together with the fact that his hard drive was recovered separate and indeed, the data couldn't be retrieved, and 3) he seemed to inexplicably take that day off and had apparently traveled to his last known location on his own accord.

Ironically I have seen the same points you make argued in favor of Walk-away & Foul play.  According to his girlfriend he was sleeping more in the prior weeks which is entirely different than actual depression.  She also indicated he was working hard and a lot of hours on cases making the naps more reasonable.  He also never displayed any indicators prior so I do not believe he was depressed.  On the contrary his friends noted that Ray was looking forward to retirement, traveling with his girlfriend, and visiting his daughter.

The harddrive and laptop prove nothing really.  A perp could of ditched it in a foul play scenario, RG could've dumped it in a walk-away situation as well.  Interesting about the laptop though is that each were not found for months after the disappearance and both were in a spot that was extensively searched by professionals more than once.

Haven't you spontaniously taken off work?  To detinations not predetermined? I know I have.  On a nice Spring day there is nothing better.  Just my opinion.

Edited by SuperSmith, 16 September 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#18    regi

regi

Psychic Spy

• 2,010 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

SuperSmith, on 16 September 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

The harddrive and laptop prove nothing really.  A perp could of ditched it in a foul play scenario, RG could've dumped it in a walk-away situation as well.

A perp didn't search on his home computer for how to destroy his lap top's hard drive. I consider that with the condition in which the lap top and hard drive were later found.
To my knowledge, there's nothing to indicate that the man is still alive.
There's no evidence that he walked away, nor- considering the circumstances you yourself described- a reason to think he would have.

#19    SuperSmith

SuperSmith

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

regi, on 16 September 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

A perp didn't search on his home computer for how to destroy his lap top's hard drive. I consider that with the condition in which the lap top and hard drive were later found.
To my knowledge, there's nothing to indicate that the man is still alive.
There's no evidence that he walked away, nor- considering the circumstances you yourself described- a reason to think he would have.

If Gricar actually did the searches I believe they were done to erase his computer before returning it to the County.  He had expressed interest in erasing the drive before handing it back in at retirement.  He probably had case notes and personal information on it.  He supposedly actually bought software to do the erasing.

However...............

It has been my impression from the start that Gricar met with foul play, by someone close to him, who would've had access most likely to his computer, someone he trusted.

#20    regi

regi

Psychic Spy

• 2,010 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

SuperSmith, on 16 September 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

If Gricar actually did the searches I believe they were done to erase his computer before returning it to the County.  He had expressed interest in erasing the drive before handing it back in at retirement.  He probably had case notes and personal information on it.  He supposedly actually bought software to do the erasing.

Well, he wasn't satisfied to simply erase, but to actually destroy.

#21    SuperSmith

SuperSmith

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

regi, on 16 September 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

Well, he wasn't satisfied to simply erase, but to actually destroy.

Or someone wasn't suffiently satisfied.  I submit to you that the laptop and hard drive were planted.  Part of a stage.  BTW thank you for participating.  It's a fasinating case.

#22    regi

regi

Psychic Spy

• 2,010 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

SuperSmith, on 16 September 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

BTW thank you for participating.  It's a fasinating case.

Of course! Thank you for presenting the case. :tu:
It is fascinating.

SuperSmith, on 16 September 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

I submit to you that the laptop and hard drive were planted.  Part of a stage.

I wouldn't believe that anyone else could/would have searched his home computer, and the decision to take the day off appeared spontaneous to the girlfriend and he did so for no apparent reason, so those things lead me to believe that only he was involved in what occurred.

Edited by regi, 16 September 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#23    SuperSmith

SuperSmith

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

regi, on 16 September 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

Of course! Thank you for presenting the case. :tu:
It is fascinating.

I wouldn't believe that anyone else could/would have searched his home computer, and the decision to take the day off appeared spontaneous to the girlfriend and he did so for no apparent reason, so those things lead me to believe that only he was involved in what occurred.

If he had an interest in wiping the drive before retirement the searches could've actually lead him to the software he was said to have eventually purchased.

#24    regi

regi

Psychic Spy

• 2,010 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

SuperSmith, on 16 September 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

If he had an interest in wiping the drive before retirement the searches could've actually lead him to the software he was said to have eventually purchased.

I don't know when he purchased software, but from the info. I've read, he wasn't scheduled to retire until December and the searches on his home computer were recent to his disappearance and those searches included water damage to a hard drive.

#25    regi

regi

Psychic Spy

• 2,010 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Dateline: The Case of the Missing D.A.
http://www.nbcnews.c...702425#45699958

#26    SuperSmith

SuperSmith

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

regi, on 16 September 2013 - 11:51 PM, said:

I don't know when he purchased software, but from the info. I've read, he wasn't scheduled to retire until December and the searches on his home computer were recent to his disappearance and those searches included water damage to a hard drive.

My recollection is that law enforcement never gave a time stamp for the searches.

#27    regi

regi

Psychic Spy

• 2,010 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

SuperSmith, on 17 September 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

My recollection is that law enforcement never gave a time stamp for the searches.

The main thing is that there were such searches, and add to that, the fact that he took the lap top with him on what he said was a leisurely drive and then low and behold, the hard drive was found in the river.

#28    SuperSmith

SuperSmith

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

regi, on 17 September 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

The main thing is that there were such searches, and add to that, the fact that he took the lap top with him on what he said was a leisurely drive and then low and behold, the hard drive was found in the river.

Where is your proof that he took the laptop with him that day?  The laptop and hard drive were found months after his disappearance in areas that were extensively searched by fornesics and professional divers.  Not only did they search once they searched several times.  Then low and behold the laptop is found leaning against one of the bridge pillars by a fisherman and the hard drive was found by a woman and daughter skipping stones.  That does not add up.

The timing of his home computer searchs is important because it could coincide with RG inquirey about erasing the drive to co-workers.

#29    regi

regi

Psychic Spy

• 2,010 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

SuperSmith, on 17 September 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

Where is your proof that he took the laptop with him that day?  

To my knowledge, there's no question but that his laptop went missing when he did, so I see no grounds for such speculation.

#30    SuperSmith

SuperSmith

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

regi, on 17 September 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

To my knowledge, there's no question but that his laptop went missing when he did, so I see no grounds for such speculation.

It doesn't mean someone else didn't take it.  Ray Gricar was said to be the kind of man that would stop everyone in there tracks in the office to help him find the dust cover for a piece of County equipment.  If he did take the laptop its odd that he didn't take the carrying case and cords.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users