Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Camping food...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

Jeeze, you call yourself campers with that lot?
Wheres the sense of adventure in that?
Do you also carry the kitchen sink with you too?

Spend a week with me and I will show you how to camp, no rucksacks filled with gourmet cuisine, just the essentials for real camping. Bring a knife, tent and sleeping bag, thats all you will need. :tu:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#17    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

spud the mackem, on 16 September 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Heck by the time you've done all that the holidays will be over, how about a few cans of Baked beans,a hunk of Bread and Sausages,a few Baking potatoes to chuck into the fires embers, and don't forget to sit on the windward side of the fire.I don't go on 5 star camp cooking holidays.
I can imagine this lot do not take their rubbish with them!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#18    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,417 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

Lol.. Some of us do more real camping at other times of year too. This is just the annual campout event where everybody shares some of the food and beverages we talk about through the year. And yeah, a couple of the guys do break out the full camp kitchens for the event.

And of course we don't leave rubbish after the event. We bag it up and haul it down to the dumpsters provided for this.

#19    TheVeryFirstDinosaur

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

Paranormal Investigator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

• Local Community Wizard

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

freetoroam, on 16 September 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

Jeeze, you call yourself campers with that lot?
Wheres the sense of adventure in that?
Do you also carry the kitchen sink with you too?

Spend a week with me and I will show you how to camp, no rucksacks filled with gourmet cuisine, just the essentials for real camping. Bring a knife, tent and sleeping bag, thats all you will need. :tu:

Marry me.

#20    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,075 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

My Dad used to take some salt&pepper , an Onion , a stick of butter ,  and a hunk of tinfoil  to wrap around it and  a trout when he got to the river.
  * he'd cook it in some coals   .. i think it was done in 2 or 3 beers.

I like to take nuts and raisins and bread and cheese  ..   sometimes eggs for breakfast ...  and  COFFEE .

Edited by lightly, 17 September 2013 - 12:34 AM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#21    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,352 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:40 AM

These all sound really daggone complicated, i prefer

fire
meat

combine to your taste

eat

Fear not the space behemoth. In my dreams, I have peered beyond it's eye and seen the cackling hell within us all

#22    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,769 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

When I was 14 my mate and I went camping carrying a tent on our bikes. We pitched the tent in a field and the next morning we discoverd in the next field a campsite full of girl guides, wowee the best camping holiday I've ever had.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#23    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,017 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Posted Image

"Personally, I prefer a nice quiche, followed by banana souffle, all washed down with a crisp, chilled chablis......what?.....Ooooh, sorry..wrong sort of camping.....sorry, sorry!"

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#24    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,769 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

ealdwita, on 17 September 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

Posted Image

"Personally, I prefer a nice quiche, followed by banana souffle, all washed down with a crisp, chilled chablis......what?.....Ooooh, sorry..wrong sort of camping.....sorry, sorry!"

burnt toast,black fried bacon too crispy to eat,hard fried egg,sausages ?, they were thrown out as inedible.watery tea as the pan hadn't boiled .and its damn well tossing down so fast the fires gone out.But its great fun plodging around in the mud,with soggy socks inside welly boots.The S.A.S survival course was learned from us ha ha. P.S  I like the necklace.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#25    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,417 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

Lol, didn't realize my recipe posting would lead to a discussion of real camping. Some of the folks in our group do other camping too, others do not.

It's kind of like this... Some people might have an annual gathering at their home for 12-20 friends to spend a weekend, bring dishes and booze to pass around for the weekend. All of us are kind of foodies- most of us are good cooks, a couple of us are excellent brewers. It's just that instead of doing it at someones house, we do it while out in the woods with tents. It's kind of the last gathering of all of us for the year till next spring since some of us live outside of regular visiting range. Over the last 15 years we've been doing this, it has very much evolved from a pack of hotdogs or someones first attempt at beer to share into way more of a good eats and drinks event.

And for people kind of pooing my camping food... What do you do for camping food? Catch fish or rabbits, do wild eats foraging? Share what you do please. This thread is supposed to be about sharing camping food, not what's really camping or not.

#26    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,017 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

The test of real camping chutzpah is existing for a week on 'Meal, Ready-to-Eat, or MRE's (Meals Rarely Edible - Meals Rejected by Everyone...etc.etc.)! Also fondly known as "Three lies in one".....they're not meals, they're not ready, and you can't eat 'em!   Ah, fond memories!

Edited by ealdwita, 17 September 2013 - 03:56 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#27    Mabon

Mabon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

• Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

Thank you Rashore, you said much more kindly what I've been thinking. Camping is well camping. I've done every kind from just a sleeping bag to Motor-home, and I hate the implication that just because a person camps more prepared that they are inconsiderate of the environment or that they leave a bunch of trash behind. I find that kind of blanket statement rather insulting and off the mark. The weekend we went camping is a Music fest on a friends farm. We took away what we brought with us and would do the same regardless where we camped or put garbage in the proper receptacles if provided. And by prepping things in advance I didn't have a lot of garbage and for three days the garbage generated fit in one small Wal'mart grocery bag. We had to prepare food in advance because there is a community kitchen and sharing is encouraged but space is limited. This isn't a small gathering or at a campground but a farm and it kind of irks me to think that anyone would have to justify what they enjoy just because it doesn't meet with someone elses criteria of what 'real camping' is.

Personally, I think roughing it is when there isn't a mint on my pillow so as a joke I brought some mints and put them on my pillow.

Now I could have put forage foods on here but how many people know what to look for or would make themselves ill by choosing the wrong plant?

Mabon.

One need not be a chamber to be haunted;
One need not be a house;
The brain has corridors surpassing
Material place.  ~ Emily Dickinson

#28    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,075 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:37 AM

rashore, on 17 September 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

we do it while out in the woods with tents. It's kind of the last gathering of all of us for the year till next spring since some of us live outside of regular visiting range. Over the last 15 years we've been doing this, it has very much evolved from a pack of hotdogs or someones first attempt at beer to share into way more of a good eats and drinks event.

Oh..  like camping?   ;    That sounds really nice rashore    must be a lot of fun,  and great food too!?   who knew!?    I think i'll make us some coal grilled chicken next time .  :P

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#29    TheVeryFirstDinosaur

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

Paranormal Investigator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

• Local Community Wizard

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:50 AM

I eat the other campers.

#30    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,111 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:16 AM

Holy Moly.... Rashore.... That's stuff looks good, but sheesh, carrying all that stuff would give me a bad back hiking across the street.

Come see me, and I'll teach you how to catch trout with your bare hands, stuff them with wild onions and yummy Sierra puffball mushrooms, salt them from a salt spring, and steam it all in an Indian rhubarb leaf.

You have not tasted anything so delicate and incredible in your life. ;) but I do want to try some if your recipes. The look good.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users