Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

how much should we cut defense.

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

This question got lost in another thread or I just lost it.

At the end of world war two. Our government came up with great idea called the cold war. This idea had three perposes, so far they have all worked.  First they wanted to make russia spend themselves into a hole, which they did.  Second they didn't want a new depression at the end of world war two like we had at the end of world war one.  This also worked until reagon won the cold war for us.  Welcome, to the recession caused by the end of the cold war.  Third they didn't want to ro sie the ribbiter that she had to go back into the kitchen, because the men were getting out of the military.  In othe r words keep thed military at war during peace time.

This was all so we wouldn't end up fighting the soviets in a real war.  As I said it all worked like it was supposed to.

But, a free nation with out an enemy cannot maintain a defense.

So this brings us back to the question.  How much should we cut our defense spending.  I will answer this with another question.  Do we still have any threats to defend ourselves from.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,753 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:12 AM

We should go back to conscripted service.  I don't agree much with Charlie Rangel but on THIS one he's correct.  If main street is susceptible to the losses then the pols will better represent us.  As for $... we seem to think that we can almost nuke them from space anymore and it just isn't so.  War still has to be done yard by yard and there is no cheap way to do it and be safe.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,165 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:30 AM

Cut a billion from the budget, there's still several billion there and I'm sure the teachers in your country would love some extra funding.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#4    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,209 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:57 AM

View Postdanielost, on 12 September 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

how much should we cut defense

Define "defense" because that's another word like "war" that our illustrious leaders have been getting wrong.

If you're referring to cuts to military, I think we should cut the lion's share of our foreign policy which will save hundreds of billions.  I would never tolerate such a massive transfer of wealth to any foreign region in the world again like we've seen transferred to the Middle East due to oil.   We should build some new VA hospitals, and another squadron of F-22s.  I can think of better spending priorities for our troops than what they're getting.  I'm tired of "using the military".   These politicians need to use their brains and their silver tongues before using their bombs.  Obama should get his pencil out and study the traumatic brain injuries our troops are coming home with.   But what does he do instead?   He just avoids the moral question of war altogether by making everything into an airstrike.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#5    Arbenol

Arbenol

Poltergeist

• 2,233 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:02 AM

It's not the defence budget that America needs to worry about. It's the offence budget.

#6    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

• States are domed when they are unable to distinguish good men from bad.

- Antisthenes.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:04 AM

The best offense is a good defense..

Speaking frankly, the US spends more on defense than all other countries in the world combined.

Paranoia? Possibly. Possibly not.

Wearer of Hats has it right; cut a billion and apply that to education.

Education and defense should be two of the top concerns for this country.

Of course, I'm realizing our government might not want educated citizens.

They pose more of a threat to reduce the amazing benefits politicians get via the taxes of the people.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#7    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,209 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:13 AM

I've never heard that the purpose of education is to avoid paying taxes, but if that's the case, it's even more reason to leave education up to the private sector.   Govt schools are known to produce obedient workers ready to pledge allegiance and consume, not tax revolutionaries ready to overturn the Income Tax.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#8    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:13 AM

View PostHatake Kakashi, on 12 September 2013 - 01:04 AM, said:

The best offense is a good defense..

Speaking frankly, the US spends more on defense than all other countries in the world combined.

Paranoia? Possibly. Possibly not.

Wearer of Hats has it right; cut a billion and apply that to education.

Education and defense should be two of the top concerns for this country.

Of course, I'm realizing our government might not want educated citizens.

They pose more of a threat to reduce the amazing benefits politicians get via the taxes of the people.

I'd like to know how much we spend in foreign aid compared to other countries? probably the same story.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#9    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,686 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:26 AM

View PostMiskatonicGrad, on 12 September 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

I'd like to know how much we spend in foreign aid compared to other countries? probably the same story.

seek and you will find

The U.S is the top foreign aid giver in the world. At 30.2 billion.

http://www.theguardi.../aid-oecd-given

The other top contributors are U.K(13billion) France(13 billion), Germany(12.7billion)  and Japan(11billion)

And that doesn't count war related foreign aid, after that the U.S is over 50 Billion
http://www.reuters.c...E7BI1KO20111219

Edited by spartan max2, 12 September 2013 - 01:29 AM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#10    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

- Antisthenes.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:41 AM

View PostMiskatonicGrad, on 12 September 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

Max already linked you to Foreign Aid.

Here's a link to total military spending.

http://en.wikipedia....ry_expenditures

Here's an image depicting military spending, including defense, with the US verus the rest of the world in 2012.

http://www.ritholtz....ry-spending.jpg

Edit: I may have exaggerated; the US doesn't spend more than the entire world combined.

But it spends more than China, Russia, and Europe combined.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi, 12 September 2013 - 01:46 AM.

Posted Image

#11    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,686 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

View PostHatake Kakashi, on 12 September 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

Max already linked you to Foreign Aid.

Here's a link to total military spending.

http://en.wikipedia....ry_expenditures

Here's an image depicting military spending, including defense, with the US verus the rest of the world in 2012.

http://www.ritholtz....ry-spending.jpg

Holy ****! I knew our military spending was high but really 682 billion!

That's insane.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#12    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

- Antisthenes.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:48 AM

View Postspartan max2, on 12 September 2013 - 01:44 AM, said:

Holy ****! I knew our military spending was high but really 682 billion!

That's insane.

Sir Wearer of Hats was onto something when he said we could decrease our spending by a billion..

Or several dozen billion..

Posted Image

#13    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,165 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:10 AM

View PostHatake Kakashi, on 12 September 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

Sir Wearer of Hats was onto something when he said we could decrease our spending by a billion..

Or several dozen billion..
I know that it'll sound crass - but a billion from foreign aid as well - 29 billion in foreign aid is still a stonkingly huge amount of money HOPEFULLY doing a lot of good in the world.
2 billion spent on social services and education.... imagine the changes that could be made.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#14    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

- Antisthenes.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:14 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 12 September 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

I know that it'll sound crass - but a billion from foreign aid as well - 29 billion in foreign aid is still a stonkingly huge amount of money HOPEFULLY doing a lot of good in the world.
2 billion spent on social services and education.... imagine the changes that could be made.

Unfortunately, much of that foreign aid goes to people who want to kill us.

Or corrupt foreign regimes that eventually go through several revolutions (Egypt)..

Posted Image

#15    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,130 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:53 AM

Considering that US defense spending exceeds the defense spending of the next 10 highest spending countries combined I think at least a 50% cut would be a good start

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users