Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Voyager 1 Reaches Interstellar Space

voyager 1 heliosphere heliopause nasa

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

NASA Spacecraft Embarks on Historic Journey Into Interstellar Space

www.nasa.gov said:

PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft officially is the first human-made object to venture into interstellar space. The 36-year-old probe is about 12 billion miles (19 billion kilometers) from our sun.

New and unexpected data indicate Voyager 1 has been traveling for about one year through plasma, or ionized gas, present in the space between stars. Voyager is in a transitional region immediately outside the solar bubble, where some effects from our sun are still evident. A report on the analysis of this new data, an effort led by Don Gurnett and the plasma wave science team at the University of Iowa, Iowa City, is published in Thursday's edition of the journal Science.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

The little spacecraft that could :tu:

“These International bankers and Rockefeller-Standard Oil interests control the majority of newspapers and the columns of these newspapers to club into submission or drive out of public office officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government.”

- Roosevelt

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

Voyager Reaches Interstellar Space

After decades of exploration, Voyager 1 reaches a historic milestone for mankind, interstellar space.

Credit: NASA/JPL

Source: NASA/JPL - Videos

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,763 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

I know Chuck Berry had a recording on the "golden record" but I don't believe Elvis did, which is too bad because you could've said, "Elvis has left the Solar System!"

Anyway, hope the data keeps coming in for as long as the power lasts.

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

How Do We Know When Voyager Reaches Interstellar Space?

www.nasa.gov said:

Whether and when NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft, humankind's most distant object, broke through to interstellar space, the space between stars, has been a thorny issue. For the last year, claims have surfaced every few months that Voyager 1 has "left our solar system." Why has the Voyager team held off from saying the craft reached interstellar space until now?

"We have been cautious because we're dealing with one of the most important milestones in the history of exploration,” said Voyager Project Scientist Ed Stone of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.  “Only now do we have the data -- and the analysis -- we needed."

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

Messages to Voyager: Welcome to Interstellar Space

Messages from earthlings to humankind's farthest spacecraft.

Credit: NASA/JPL

Source: NASA/JPL - Videos

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

has a cape

• 1,438 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:30 AM

very nice, informative article. and only three hundred more years to reach the oort cloud, it says!

i can wait.

#8    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

Absolutely awesome!

I just watched this:   NASA's Voyager 1 is in Interstellar Space  by NASAtelevision and it's truly a very informative 57 min long conference video. Well worth the time to watch if you have yet to be touched by the awesome feat that Voyager 1 has done.
It also explains as to why it has taken this long ( one year ) to verify that Voyager 1 has indeed entered Interstellar space.

This is science, real and true science that is highly signficiant for all of humankind. That car size spacecraft of which represents us all is exploring for all of us, so let's wish it a good and prosperous journey into the Great Beyond!

...out of the dark, we, the children of Earth, say 'Greetings!'

:clap:

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#9    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,763 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

This certainly speaks volumes about the time and distances involved in interstellar travel: 36 years and the craft is just now leaving the solar system. If, after its mission has been completed they managed to send it towards one of our nearest stellar neighbors, it might be hundreds of years before it arrived. But just imagine if it could send back photos of an exo-planetary system! I don't know how long the power of the spacecraft will hold out, but I suspect it has seen its last large object, which is a shame.

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,487 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

This is pretty amazing.
36 years old and still going, if it had been made today it would have run out of broadband.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#11    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 13 September 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

This is pretty amazing.
36 years old and still going, if it had been made today it would have run out of broadband.

Whilst I suspect your comment was meant to be light hearted it is still unfair on the scientists and engineers at NASA. Let's not forget that the Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity is still operating on Mars after over 9½ years on the surface. Pretty impressive for a vehicle designed to last for 90 days.

Posted Image
Click on button

#12    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,487 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 13 September 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

Whilst I suspect your comment was meant to be light hearted it is still unfair on the scientists and engineers at NASA. Let's not forget that the Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity is still operating on Mars after over 9½ years on the surface. Pretty impressive for a vehicle designed to last for 90 days.
I doubt the scientists and engineers at NASA would be put off by my comments Waspie, they have far more important things to deal with.
It is all pretty impressive. :tu:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#13    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

How exciting!! Voyager 1 and 2 have shown us our neighboring  planets and they are still running after 36 years.. amazing.

We have been born in the Space Era...how lucky are we?

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#14    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,787 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

It is mans little first step ! Hats Off to All that See the possibilities !

This is a Work in Progress!

#15    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

I was born several years before the speed of sound was broken.  In the time since I've seen science create devices that had previously existed only in science fiction and most believed would remain there.  Now one of those devices has done what so many people not familiar with the project back when Voyager was launched considered impossible.  It left the solar system and it's still "calling home."  And, counter to an article I read somewhere in the late 70s or early 80s, it wasn't picked up by aliens.  (I suspect that was driven by someone who saw ST: The Motion Picture and thought it was a documentary dressed up as SF.  Or hoped it was.)

Sooo ... what will be the next "impossible" thing to happen?

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users